MSI Afterburner 2.2.0 Beta 14 (2012-02-21)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Does AB look for that atipdlxx.dll file in the install folder first, before looking in the Windows directory?

Just asking because the only place I have that file installed is in the AB directory, and nowhere else (not sys32 or wow64) yet I got unofficial overclocking back after copying it to the AB folder....

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Not only Afterburner, it is basics principle of loading DLLs for any windows application. Any application first try to load the library from the current folder, then from system folders specified by environment variables (which includes Windows folder).

3. Elmojo

Elmojo Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7970, eVGA GTX 480
    This IS a reference card. The only difference is that it's a higher binned chip and is factory overclocked. Otherwise, it's a reference as they come.
    So you're saying you've given up on AMD and are focusing on nVidia from now on?
    I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe when kepler comes out I'll get one of those so I can use your software again.
    Great work, thanks for the help.

4. Unwinder

A reference card supports voltage control with ANY driver. If you don't have it after properly unlocking voltage control, it is not a reference card and you may keep searching for a "solution", but there won't be any.
    And I've given up only on spending time anwering questions related to AMD driver issues or "when will Afterburner support my non-MSI 7xxx card". That's everything I can and will say, sorry, no need to try using "and the author of the software knows a fix, that he might share it" strategy, it won't work.

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    It seems the mistake I made was assuming following the instructions and installing by that method would place the xx file in the syswow64 folder, it didn't. So that's all it was missing and now after restarting the program it detects it again, hopefully permanently this time.

6. smp

smp Member

GPU:
    Radeon 7770
    ----

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  7. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    As long as I had AB installed, I had serious problems... My default voltage is 1.090 whilst AB was reporting 1.031. I was getting rarely black lines ( artifacts etc ) due to insufficient power supply. I was ready to change my PSU 'cause I thought it wasn't enough. Some times I was giving 1.068 and everything was a little better, but I was seriously curious why that kept happening, until I found all other programs reporting 1.090...

Not a signle problem since I uninstalled AB and everything is running better. Keep it in mind 'cause I saw a few other guys reporting 'black lines' whilst all of them had AB installed.

Once I tried to increase the clock @1000Mhz without knowing which exactly is the problem, everywhere black lines. I got mad and gave 1.1V. I was able to run BF3 fine without a single problem for 2 hours.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  8. Unwinder

You always have a choice of staying away from crappy AB and using generic Gigabyte software for your card. And I have a choice of saving time and nerves on avoiding solving non-MSI PEBCAK issues.

9. Skinny12

Skinny12 New Member

GPU:
    Ati
    Unwinder, why r u so pissed about everything and everyone? Even though you might have to explain some things again and again and you do not feel the urge to help non-MSI customers, please keep in mind that you are representing MSI. What you do is a service to the MSI customers and those who might be MSI customers soon.

I love AB and it would be a reason for me to buy a MSI card in the future, being able to use your great software. Anyway i think your moaning about almost every question gets on my/our nerves too. Just don't answer if you think there is an answer in here already but stop behaving like big black dog in a bad mood.

//Nils

10. Elmojo

Elmojo Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7970, eVGA GTX 480
    I have to agree. It seems as though you (Unwinder) are actively trying to push your supporters away. We understand that you are doing this for free, we understand that you are tired of explaining yourself over and over.
    However, being a jerk about it doesn't reflect well on you or MSI. I've owned several MSI cards in the past, and have used AB on some of them, but having or not having access to AB isn't a factor in my buying decision.
    If you don't want to deal with people, then just go work for MSI directly so you don't have to live on the forums. You've mentioned that you aren't interested in working for any company exclusively, and I really respect that. I appreciate the freedom to do your work without some corporate goon breathing down your neck all the time.
    I think our point (Mine and Nils) is that you could try to be a little more patient with folks. It will look better for you, for AB, and for MSI.

Okay, rant over, everyone back to work! :boozer:

11. Unwinder

I'm not representing MSI or any other vendor in any forums and have zero obligations to provide direct end user support. That's even not an official MSI support place, company employes visit it way too infrequently. That's my personal decision to post, to choose what to post and what to comment and the only thing I'm doing in the forums is seeking for true software problems or good software improvement ideas. If you don't get it and come here with "do your job and answer my question" attitude, good luck with that, it is not my problem.
    And like it, dislike it, call it "big black dog in a bad mood", but I will shortly comment PEBCAK claims telling that "all users have problems wth Afterburner installed" and "system works better without Afterburner" and misinforming others.

I really wish you to wear my skin at least once in your life. Then probably feel a shame after dealing 100th person like yourself telling you that it is your obligation to help him instead of living your life.
    But the sad truth is: I never seen those 10-post guys who come here with "be patient with out problems" and "you must support us because you're author" starting helping anyone here. There are many of users who just give replies in this section. None of those who tell "don't be a jerk" actively post solutions here. You always have a chance to demonstate that patience to newbies yourself and join them, without it it is just empty words.
    And now back to real work, Kepler support implementation.

12. Unwinder

I see no problems with stopping replying in the forum at all and locking the account, if MSI or Hilbert find it useful. Contact them and offer the solution, I'll gladly accept their decision.

13. Skinny12

Skinny12 New Member

GPU:
    Ati
    OK, i understand. There is only Black and White. Sorry for interrupting. (But) i still love AB/RT and your work in general. ;)

Even though i do not often post on this forum, everybody who knows me may agree on the fact that i help out wherever and whenever i can.

So let's get back to topic...how can i fix the problem that AB Beta 14 does not work for me?? (Just kidding!)

//Nils

14. Elmojo

Elmojo Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7970, eVGA GTX 480
    Agreed. AB is just flat awesome! I hope Unwinder didn't miss the point that we (all) love his software, I (we) just wish he was a bit more understanding when we don't get all the technical details the first (or second) time.
    Oh well, maybe one day we'll have voltage control back on the 7xxx cards, if AMD will stop raping the developers with busted drivers. :banana:

15. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I hope its the same stuff just different with keplur,i guess we will see a new beta in two weeks.

16. Anvi

Anvi Guest

GPU:
    R9 390 8GB
    Is underclocking limited by default clock speeds? Would it be possible to add support for wider clock ranges?

For example Radeon 7970 can't go below 685MHz on memory without editing the AB profiles manually.
    Currently my workaround is to edit the profiles for lower startup and default memory speed.
    That allows me to use desired speeds, such as: 1260MHz GPU, 366MHz MEM.

Underclocking might not seem to make a lot of sense, but for OpenCL the memory bandwidth is almost irrelevant. Lowering MEM clocks decrease temperature and power draw.

17. Elmojo

Elmojo Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7970, eVGA GTX 480
    I'd be VERY interested to know how you edited the profiles to get mem values that low. I assume you're folding or mining? If I go below around 850 on my mem clocks, it gets unstable.

18. Unwinder

A lot of things are different with Kepler from programming POV. Happily, NVIDIA actively support all vendors and provide more than enough info and help to ensure that all third party overclocking software support Keplers on launch. That's something AMD never do.
    I've already updated EVGA Precision to support Kepler and now updating MSI Afterburner, so we'll definitively see new beta announced with Kepler.

19. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I'm glad it was a smooth transition for you and i will be waiting on the new beta.

Having the 1# vga tool in the world took alot of work to do and we all give thanks.

20. Anvi

Anvi Guest

GPU:
    R9 390 8GB
    Create a profile in AB, choose apply on startup and save. Go to installation folder and profiles

open the "<HardwareIds>.cfg" profile for your card and change the settings to whatever you want.
    I'm not sure if it's necessary to change [Startup] also, but it doesn't hurt to add that in.

Here's mine:
    Code:
    [Defaults]
    Format=2
    CoreVoltage=1040
    MemoryVoltage=1500
    PowerLimit=0
    CoreClk=1000000
    MemClk=400000
    FanMode=0
    FanSpeed=37

[Startup]
    Format=2
    CoreVoltage=1040
    MemoryVoltage=1500
    PowerLimit=0
    CoreClk=1000000
    MemClk=366000
    FanMode=0
    FanSpeed=35

[Profile1]
    Format=2
    CoreVoltage=1040
    MemoryVoltage=1500
    PowerLimit=20
    CoreClk=1000000
    MemClk=366000
    FanMode=0
    FanSpeed=35

[Profile3]
    Format=2
    CoreVoltage=1250
    MemoryVoltage=1500
    PowerLimit=20
    CoreClk=1240000
    MemClk=366000
    FanMode=0
    FanSpeed=80

I'm currently using batch file to swap between low memory speed and stock speed (for gaming) profiles.