MSI Afterburner settings too large on my screen

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Espionage724, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

[​IMG]

I'm on a 1024x768 screen. Now before anyone says "buy a new screen" or "who even uses that resolution these days", I don't have the money, and there is nothing I can do about it unless your going to buy me a screen...

The settings menu used to fit fine on my screen though. It wasn't until recently it seems that the settings menu was resized and locked at that size.

As for it not fitting, I can't access the top tab buttons.

2. VThawj

VThawj Guest

GPU:
    ATI
    Try this for a temp "fix". When you click on settings, hit tab on the keyboard until it cycles through all the options it will be on top after it reaches the bottom options. Then use the arrow keys to navigate the top tabs of the settings menu. You should be able to reach the other settings. Tried it myself so it should work. It should have been made to resize to fit the resoultion though.

3. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    Grab the edge glass and move the window.

4. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Unless there is something I'm missing, you can't move windows without using the titlebar (which, is not visible).

I found a solution though, I can simply move my taskbar to the left or right side of the screen, then that lets me see the top area enough to do settings. Hopefully though the window is just shrunk down or made to scale with resolution later though so this won't be needed.

5. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

It was already commented a few times and it won't change. 1280x1024 is the minimum required resolution for Afterburner, we won't take lower resulutions into account when creating GUI.

6. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I just have to wonder though... why? I mean Afterburner works fine on 1024x768, in every case, except the settings menu, and that of all things doesn't need to even be that big :/

There is maybe an inch or two of whitespace on the bottom of the Monitoring, Video capture, and User Interface tabs (not to mention huge amounts of whitespace on the other tabs). If that space was simply removed, and the window scaled to reflect that change, there would be no problem with the 768 height.

As for the minority running low-res screens, what about most laptop screens offering 1366x768? I guess my 720p HDTV is out of luck as well

7. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

No need to try to push your wishes this way please. Take it as a fact, it won't change. We DON'T support laptops as well. And never will.

8. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    My mistake then. Maybe I'm thinking of Windowblinds and not Aero..

9. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I can run Afterburner fine on a 1280x960 screen (nothing cut off), but if I take Screen DPI up to medium from small, the settings menu gets cut off again like in 1024x768...

10. chillgreg

chillgreg Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970
    I use a 24" 1080p screen but have my DPI at 145%, so I also lose the top of the sttings box. This setting fixes the problem for me:

Right click on the shortcut and choose properties. On the compatibility tab, put a tick in the box "Disable display scaling on High DPI settings".

11. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Easy 'fix' for this is to use Ctrl + Tab to change tabs, just like changing tabs in Firefox or any other modern browsers.
    I should know since my laptop's native resolution is 1366x768 (16:9).

12. Artibeus

Artibeus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 3GB
    You're missing something! :)

ALT+SPACE, M, Then use Up/Down/Left/Right to move the window.

Not sure if it'll still work if it is off screen, however.

Edit:
    Okay, it works. Changed my resolution to 800x600 to test. Enjoy!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  13. IKnowJack

IKnowJack Guest

GPU:
    GTX470
    and there is nothing MSI will do about it either...1024*768 isnt and wont be supported

seriously...do you really need to overclock at such a low resolution? you'd be better off overclocking the cpu

14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I have no idea why you would want to continue using 1024x768, do yourself a favour and buy a cheap 23-24" 1080p panel on sale. You will enjoy being able to watch HD content properly. Half your experience on a PC is ruined by using such a low res. If you look around you'd be surprised how cheap a decent 23" 1080p TN can be found for.

Something along the lines of this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009266

$140 is the cheapest non refurb they have, you can find them even cheaper if you look around enough.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  15. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

The overclock helps a good bit on most games I have, even at that resolution.

I will in the future, but for now there is no room in my budget for a new screen (unless the screen is literally like below $50). I recently switched to an older CRT screen though with a res of 1280x960 (still "unsupported" by Afterburner, yet it fits just fine on 100% DPI, but not on medium dpi, which is default in WCP) which is working fine currently.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2012

16. chillgreg

chillgreg Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970
    Just installed new 2.20 official. Top of the settings window is still hidden on 1080p at 140 DPI. Doesn't Afterburner support Windows display scaling?

17. kaliyuga73

kaliyuga73 Guest

GPU:
    nvidia gt 630
    right click on the tray icons and choose side by side

18. reedy777

reedy777 Guest

GPU:
    2x290x w/ek blocks
    thing is buddy that there is a bunch of scenarios where being able to scale the window size is necessary and would be worth the effort to make it a better piece of software.

720p monitor good
    1080p monitor good
    1440p monitor iffy
    4k monitor get your goggles out
    40" TV in your living room get your goggles out
    4k TV go get the Hubble

19. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    go into AB folder and edit the MSIAfterburner.cfg file
    edit line