I have a 560ti, would it be worth it to use my spare gt240 for physX?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by MrLindskog, Mar 2, 2012.

1. MrLindskog

MrLindskog Guest

GPU:
    EVGA/GTX560ti DS/1024MB
    As the title says, would it be profitable (performance wise) to use my old gt240 for physX?

And also does the motherboard have to support SLI to be able to do this?

And will my 500w powersupply be enough to run this set-up?

2. kingnosser

kingnosser Banned

GPU:
    MSI560tiTFII/OC/1GB
    You can try it, I found when I had a 240 as physX it only made the ti card not get full performance and even in PhysX based games there was no benefit, you would be better getting either another ti card or something more modern with gddr5 to use as physX.

3. MrLindskog

MrLindskog Guest

GPU:
    EVGA/GTX560ti DS/1024MB
    It´s mostly for fun anyway, and if i´m not incorrect the gt240 is a gddr5 card?
    I´d love to buy another ti card if i had the money for it, and a motherbord that supports SLI^^

I don´t really run any physX heavy games anyway :p

4. 200+club

200+club Guest

GPU:
    evga gtx580 cl-ul 3072
    i tried a 440gt as dedicated physx once with my gtx275oced and with my current card. there was absolutely no benefit. now there are hardly any games that will ever come out with physx again so it is pointless. i think the actual physx runtimes as we know them will be discontinued and with as many cores as cpu's have now it will be cpu based physx only, like the havoc engine in bf3 and codmw3's proprietary engine.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    GT240 uses either gDDR3 or gDDR5..just depends on which the manufacturer chose.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gt_240_us.html

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    if you use a proper ie (strong enough for your main card) physics card you will get better fps in games like Mafia 2, batman etc. you cannot expect to use crap cards as physics as you will get no performance or worse yet decreased performance. for my cards I would need something like a 460 or 470 to get a performance increase. I wouldnt bother getting one for the few hardware physics games, but if I had a card like that laying around why not use it?:nerd:

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Want a card like that laying around? lol j/k

8. 200+club

200+club Guest

GPU:
    evga gtx580 cl-ul 3072
    when my ultra gets here with the free batman game i will test that theory. even though i tested that theory when i switched out my 275 for my current ti. i will use my current card for physx and test with the ultra ti as my main card. my bet, absolutely no performance gain.

9. 200+club

200+club Guest

GPU:
    evga gtx580 cl-ul 3072
    just got the card and game installed, however, batman ac is black screening and gfwl is crashing. the only reason i installed the game was to compare results with the superclocked as physx and ultra 448 and main card. i dont feel like worrying about it anymore because it seems this game needs a patch for dx11. when that comes out then i will try one more time if this other card doesnt sell first.