MSI Afterburner 2.2.0 Beta 14 (2012-02-21)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

2. Unwinder

Seeing clocks and GPU load always at maximum is completely out of PowerTune context.

3. jaredpace

jaredpace Active Member

GPU:
    4890 975/1150
    powertune controls how much wattage is pulled through the pcie slot & connectors to stay within a thermal design spec of the whole board.

downclocking and undervolting is a result of controlling power while maintaining stability.

Try -20% powertune, plus turning ur fan down and running furmark xtreme burn to see it do the magical downclocking.

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    No thanks, I don't feel like burning up my GPU by running Furmark... :)

I'll just assume that my card has stayed within the TDP limits which is why it hasn't downclocked...

5. johnnyw

johnnyw Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 570 TFIII PE/OC
    Ok this is getting strange. I cant even use AB with stock clocks without gpu throtthling with my HD 7950 and 12.2 pre cert drivers.

Example if i run any game or kombustor at stock clocks without afterburner running my clocks stays at 900/1250 as they should.

But immideatly when i start AB and go to any game or benchmark my clocks starts to jump beetween 400-900MHz and mostly stays around 500Mhz range even that i havent touched to any settings. Only way to get AB run full 3d clocks while gaming is to set power control to +20% which i really cant understand because im using totally stock settings. Would only want to use AB so show fps and temps :(

This is how it looks at stock without setting power control to +20

[​IMG]

Any ideas?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  6. Eluder

Eluder Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Sounds like you're hitting your cards TDP early, odd, but I guess it could happen.

7. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Tried MAB in new Win Consumer Preview.
    Doesn't load. It says "Failed to initialize display driver wrapper"
    But New Consumer Preview has Integrated Display Driver for AMD cards :O
    How to fix this?

8. johnnyw

johnnyw Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 570 TFIII PE/OC
    Well it cant be that as that wont happen if i dont use AB.

Without AB and gpu-z to monitor clockspeed clocks stays at 900/1250 at load like it should. Just very strange.

9. Unwinder

There will be no Win 8 support until it launched officially.

10. frojoe

frojoe Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7970 Referance
    im sorry im double posting here.

I just started to over clock and I start to use MSI afterburner obviously.
    I have the newest version of afterburner and the newest version of the ATI/AMD graphics drivers for my xfx 7970 reference card. It runs all well up until I log in under a different user on the computer. Once I do that the clocks looks like the stay but the fan speed drops to 50%. Can anyone tell me why switching users would change the fan speed?

11. kmartburrito

kmartburrito Guest

GPU:
    2X AMD Radeon 6950
    Sync option is clicked, and I'm looking at load clocks. Messing around with it a bit more and running furmark, it's seemingly now working correctly. Not sure why it was giving me a hard time while setting it up. I'm wondering if it was hitting a high temp and underclocking itself. Would that go back down to 800*1250, or much lower?

I'm wondering if the +20% power isn't sticking or something.

Seems ok for now though. I'll keep an eye on it and report back in case anyone else is seeing something similar.

12. heroxoot

heroxoot Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    anyone else having a clock problem? 1160mhz on memory shows its running 1159mhz in osd and 1165 shows as 1163 in osd. I find this weird. I cannot get an OC of 165 because it shows as 163 or 162.5 in GPUZ.

edit: installed an older beta and its the same. My memory is not 1160mhz but instead 1159 and making my vram clock 1167 makes it 1163 also. Its so weird.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  13. frojoe

frojoe Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7970 Referance
    Bump... Also to add, I set up the same settings on the other user profile but still I lose the clocks and the fan speed. Like it resets the AB profile and wont go back until you go into AB and apply settings again. Aslo when i go up with morning and logged into the other side it said that CCC Crashed. Anyone have any ideas. I need help bad!

14. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    I seem to be having a bit of trouble with the frame limiter. It says on the OSD that my games are running at 60 FPS when I lock it to 60 in the OSD setting, but there is still the exact same amount of tearing as if the limiter was off. I have made sure to have vsync off when the framerate limiter is on, but it just doesn't want to work. If I turn the limiter off and use vsync the tearing goes away. I don't want to use vsync and would like to replace it with the frame limiter, so what is going wrong here?

12.2 pre-cert drivers - 7950 - win 7 x64 - AB 2.2.0 beta 14

15. Unwinder

Framerate limiting is not supposed to eliminate tearing

16. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    I'm not quite following you here.

My understanding is that tearing is caused by the GPU putting out more FPS than the refresh rate of the monitor and results in a tearing effect. Vsync is used to keep the frames and refesh rate in sync so that the frames do not exceed the refresh rate and the tearing effect won't happen. So, if you limit the FPS using afterburner shouldn't it have the same affect on tearing that vsync has as they both can limit the frames produced to never exceed the the refresh rate of a given monitor?

Clearly I am missing something here and await your response. :)

17. Unwinder

Wrong. Tearing is a result of presenting a frame outside vertical retrace interval. Monitor is drawing frame scanline by scanline, so when you're presenting new frame while monitor is still drawing the previous frame, it results in seeing a part of previous frame (at top) and part of new presented frame (at bottom). That's what is tearing, and the only way to get rid of it is synchronizing frame presentation with vertical retrace interval (i.e. using VSync). Limiting the framerate without synchronizing presentation with VSync is not supposed to eliminate tearing and doesn't eliminate it.

18. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    I think some displays are more susceptible to tearing. Personally, I still prefer vsync enabled in most games. I use FPS limiter to help reduce input lag without having to break the pre-render limit.

19. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    Well I just got schooled. :)

Cool now I know more about what is happening there. Thanks for the enlightenment. Back to vsync I go!

20. kidsafe

kidsafe Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB
    My HD 7970 steps down to 300MHz/150MHz/.8V in 2D mode like normal. Recently when my display turns off and it hits long idle mode, it goes back up to 500MHz/150MHz/.95V. Any idea what is causing this... The only two video card related utilities I have installed are Afterburner 2.2.0 beta 14 and the pre-WHQL Catalyst 12.3 drivers.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012