Phenom2 x6 1100t or i5 2500k?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by cecire, Feb 28, 2012.

1. cecire

cecire Guest

GPU:
    PALIT / GeFORCE 8600GT
    Good day gurus!

i have been looking at the reviews of the two processor, i'm trying to do an upgrade centered on the two processor. can i get your two cents on them?

if you do have suggestions for mobo and gpus please feel free to post them.

i'll be waiting for you comments/suggestions/opinions or even real life experiences on the two cpu's so i could decide on which path to go.

thanks!

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    i just dumped a 1090t for a 2600k. its night and day performance.

3. cecire

cecire Guest

GPU:
    PALIT / GeFORCE 8600GT
    i guess hardcore gaming/multi-tasking is one of the factor for dumping the AMD?

can you give me some details?

4. Lain

Lain Guest

GPU:
    HD5970 @ 950/1200MHz
    Intel CPU's are strong in low treaded processes, games.
    AMD not so much, but AMD processors hold their own in highly treaded/multitasking scenario's

Depends on what's your planning to do with your machine and what prices are like where you live.

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    i wont get anymore fps than i was getting with the 1090t because i have vsync enabled. rendering times stayed the same, more or less. it just depends on the blu-ray im converting. the programs i use favor cores over threads. but with the high ipc intel has, it more than makes up for the 2 missing cores. i havent ovcerclocked it any higher than what its currently at.

6. cecire

cecire Guest

GPU:
    PALIT / GeFORCE 8600GT
    I'm an occassional gamer (online eg. TF2 and COD/CRYSIS) but i usually do CADD and 3d rendering using Google Sketchup.

So how would you approach that kind of usage?

7. cecire

cecire Guest

GPU:
    PALIT / GeFORCE 8600GT
    thanks for the insight bro, i actually love converting media. That's one thing to keep in mind.

8. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
  9. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    i dumped my 1090t at 4ghz for my 2600k running at 4.5ghz. as firestorm has said, performance difference is pretty noticeable.

performance per core difference was quite huge. 1 of my i7 cores ran as fast as two of my 1090t's cores, so for games that only use one or two cores, the difference in gaming is pretty beefy. i gained fps in cpu dependent games like cod black ops (from 55fps to 130+fps), starcraft 2 (from 45fps on high on the 1090t to 130+fps on ultra on the 2600k) and crysis 1 (from 45fps on high to 85fps on high), and this is despite downgrading from a gtx580 to a gtx560ti soc at 1080p.

in gpu dependent games, the performance improvement was around 10% or so despite downgrading in GPU which is pretty good.

plus, its pretty nifty when im running handbrake to convert videos for my galaxy note and ps3.

10. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    i have both 1100t be at 3.6ghz and a i7 920 at 3.4ghz

the i7 feels faster honestly.

altho i have SSD on the i7 and HDD on the 1100t that could atribute the i7 feeling faster.

11. cecire

cecire Guest

GPU:
    PALIT / GeFORCE 8600GT
    thanks for the insight, i'll note your post.

12. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    if youre not in any particular hurry, i would say wait for ivy bridge. its on a smaller manufacturing process, which means better overclocking and better temps compared to sandy bridge. even if you dont end up getting ivy bridge, at the very least it would cause current sandy bridge parts to drop in price.

13. cecire

cecire Guest

GPU:
    PALIT / GeFORCE 8600GT
    Price is actually one of the deciding factor thats why i have considered the phenom2 x6 1100t to be a choice along side with the i5 2500k.

i'm actually trying to wait a little longer to beat the price of the i5 2500k down, like what you said once the ivy bridge are out they should be changes in the prices in the market.

14. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    iirc, intel have just released a few more sandy bridge chips without the GPU, they should be priced quite well. see if theyre priced lower than the 2500k in your area?

15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The i5 and i7 shouldn't be released with GPU's, they're practically worthless on a 2500K or a 2600K. AMD hold their own in the low end and mainstream markets, particularly once the next gen APU's come out (especially the A8 (5500/5600K) and A10 (5700/5800K) based on the Piledriver cores, HD7660D graphics).

Out of the two, the 2500K is faster for most things than the AMD, but that said its pointless buying both at the moment. The Ivy Bridge based on a Z77/Z75 motherboard is much, much more preferable, or and AMD gen 2 Bullldozer (although this probably will still be much bettered by the Ivy Bridge).

16. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    X6 1100T is the same price as Intel's locked i5-2400. That is still a good 30-40% faster in lightly multithreaded tasks, and equal in heavily multithreaded tasks. It consumes much less power.

You haven't mentioned though if you're going to overclock or not. But in any case I don't see a point in going with AMD at the moment, it's either i5-2400 for no OC, and i5-2500K for OC (or their ivy bridge equivalents).

No they're not. You're looking at them with gamer-goggles

17. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Guest

GPU:
    2500k all the way

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    2500k by a lllllooooonnnnngggg shot