FPS Limiter with Nvidia's Next Drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MfA, Sep 9, 2011.

1. nascasho

nascasho Master Guru

GPU:
    GV-N670OC-2GD @ 1250Mhz
    It's been stated tons of times already, if you want to minimize input lag from Vsync drop your FPS limit to something BELOW your monitors refresh rate. I personally use Dxtory. Cap it at 58fps, use vsync.

2. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Guest

GPU:
    Why all the fuzz about nvidia limiting fps in the next drivers?

What's the big deal? Why would anyone want to limit the fps they play at?

So get a quad sli of 580gtx'es and run games at 20 fps? Why?

I just don't get the point of limiting framerate. I mean you buy a videocard to get more fps, why limit it?

3. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    In my case, I have 3x GTX580 in 3-Way SLI.

Sure I get +100fps all the time in Battlefield 3, and this allows me to get a minimum of +60fps in all maps.

But why would I be running them at 99% usage all the time at +100fps and 78-80ºC when I could limit them to 62fps and play at a constant 62fps with 40-70% usage and keep them below 75ºC and a lot quieter?

That's the main point of limiting my FPS, at least for ME.

4. maco07

maco07 Active Member

GPU:
    7970 3GB Boost

5. Life On Mars

Life On Mars Member

GPU:
    No System
    You have been able to activate the fps limiter via nvidia inspector for a while with the drivers mate but the more people know the better, it can work wonders in certain games.

6. MfA

MfA Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1060 6GB
  7. apoc_reg

apoc_reg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480
    I play with vsync and triple buffering in every game. Cant stand tearing and never noticed a problem in games with latency.

Think that latency a bit overblown by 99% of people.

8. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 ti Vision OC
    Actually you don't need the frame limiter, if you have such a strong setup.
    The only reason is, to keep your card cool and give less stress to it.
    But the tool becomes essential, for all of us with older vga's.
    Cause if your vga can't handle a game, and lock your framerate at 60fps, then you have to compromise with a framerate that is increasing and decreasing randomly.
    So if you have framerates from 40 to 50, you 'll have most of the times tearing and stuttering.
    With the framelimiter you can lock your framerate at 40fps(your minimum in the above case), and enjoy smooth gameplay.
    So yes we all wait a tool like this, preferably incorporated in the drivers, so we will not need to install 3dparty programs, that can be system intrusive.

9. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Anyone else notice, that if you run a game for example.
    Say you get constant 100+ FPS with dips only occuring at very minimum around +-10FPS of that.

If you set the Limiter , for example to 45FPS and play. You'll get just little stuttering once in a while (like it will drop suddenly from 45 to 40 and it will stutter)even though before it could maintain 100+ smoothly?? :(
    Just curious, I thought I had seen it before when i've Limited. But didn't think anything of it.

Was playing around with another game today and the above happened. I didn't have Vsync+Triple buffering enabled so maybe that had something to do with it.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  10. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Those of you who are forcing triple buffering DX games (eg D3Doverider) I would also set render ahead to 0.

If your triple buffering and rendering ahead, your going to have all sorts of funky things going on with your buffer queue.
    Remember render ahead is DX's poor mans version of a buffer queue.
    Triple buffering is superior as its more intelligent, allowing the dropping of unneeded frames.

The smoothest gameplay I experience is with Triple buffering forced (now using radeonpro as with ATi at mo), render-ahead set to 0, and fps limited to 60.
    I dont even need vsync as the triple buffering with limited fps elminates 95% of tearing, and is completly lag free.

11. wildcat140679

wildcat140679 New Member

GPU:
    Asus ENGTX285
    I’ve been chewing my way through this thread trying find confirmation that the frame limiter in the NVIDIA driver is properly working now. But I’ve only found more confusion than actual answers, so I’m just simply going to ask.

Is NVIDA’s frame limiter properly working? :bang:

I wish to throttle down my GPU load, not because certain games are not running smooth enough or other performance related issues. My issue is with the fan noise my card is producing while it’s trying to push out as much frames as possible. Using a FPS limiter does wonders on my GPU load, most of the times cutting the load in half or more. Less noise, less heat and less power consumption and still maintain a steady fixed frame rate of my choosing.

Currently using Dxtory, video recording software that has a build in FPS limiter that so far works good.
    But I don’t exactly know how it`s limiting my fps and if its GPU friendly, I’d prefer to do with the NVIDIA driver instead of some 3rd party software.

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    12 pages is a lot of post to go through so pardon me if I ask questions that have already been mentioned.

1. Is screen tearing guaranteed to disappear using an FPS limiter (capped to 60)?
    2. Is or isn't Triple Buffering supposed to help out in games where you use Vsync?

Personally I loathe tearing and am extremely sensitive to it which is why I always use Vsync. Most of the time I do not even think about the imput lag generated by using these options but sure, I suppose it's more noticeable in Multiplayer FPS. Simply put, if you're already used to Vsync you'll notice it less than a person not used to Vsync.

13. remicius

remicius Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Ti
    fps limter with dxtory or the inspector one is do an amazing job to me.i always limiting the fps to 45 because im absolutely fine with that fps.Except racing games or flying simulators.vsync and triple buffer enable at all the time and the gameplay always smooth like butter.ive got problem only with The Hunter when the animals fleeing but its an engine problems because many of the hunters report the same,so we have to wait for the fix.