PhysX for all! (AMD/Nvidia/Intel...)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by jpcc, Feb 23, 2012.

1. jpcc

jpcc Member

GPU:
    none
    :rolleyes:

2. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    All you're really doing is disabling certain features which gives more performance.

3. jpcc

jpcc Member

GPU:
    none
    Do you tested? tell me more

4. jpcc

jpcc Member

GPU:
    none
    anyway, thanks for testing.

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

There is actually merit behind this. One of the many stuff-ups Nvidia did with Physx is not make each version backwards compatible. Since the game calls a function inside the dll's, its not hard to make it backwards compatible. If the command changed, change the name of the command!

Physx had numerous flaws in its CPU implementation by design, these flaws were present to make the GPU Physx seem more impressive. These flaws have gradually been ironed out, but the 3.x series has started to rectify the biggest flaw of them all, the use of just plain poorly written x87 code! by the time you include all the variants of SSE, AVX, XOP, and other instructions sets there are a massive pool of new instructions that greatly accelerate the performance of the Physx engine. Some instructions have been replaced by even better instructions in later instruction sets. The Physx 3.x probably doesn't make use of the best instructions, but the use of the better instructions does mean greater speed.

Since the function commands remain present in the later builds of these files, older games etc can make use of the newer instructions. That is the whole purpose behind providing these files.

6. jpcc

jpcc Member

GPU:
    none
    Thanks, I hope your comment to help others understand better before they get criticized.

When I accidentally got these files, the first thing I thought was to update the old games that have physx extensions, to my surprise some games besides accept files physx 2.8.4 also fully accept files from 3.1.1, for more surprise I noticed that the games started to run much faster on my machine that does not have a nvidia gpu, no one wants to miss any effect, on the contrary I began to notice better effects after updating in the mirrors edge and in the borderlands, after that my idea was to try to unify this files with future updates focusing mainly on the performance and improvement of the effects, for both those who have a nvidia gpu and for those who do not have, but I do not know how these files behave with a nvidia gpu yet, so I created this topic on "Nvidia Drivers" area and I decided to ask for help in the creation of the driver even because users of nvidia should be more accustomed to such things.

I hope I have clarified my idea.

Again, sorry for my english...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  7. Zogrim

Zogrim Active Member

GPU:
    GTX Titan
    jpcc
    I will not do a video to kill your boredom
    Ok, I'll do some tests.

Games: Mirror's Edge and Arkham Asylum/City and Mafia II - GPU PhysX
    Trine 2 and Jagged Alliance: Back in Action - CPU PhysX.
    I need to replace local PhysX files with renamed .dlls from your folder (2.8.4 and 3.1) ? Or just put them there, without overwriting older files ?
    And and if in won't work, replace same files in PSS installation folder - correct ?

My system is Intel + NV (hardware PhysX will be disabled) - is this ok ?

I began to notice more effects after updating in the mirrors edge and in the borderlands
    More effects just by swapping .dlls ? It is noncence.
    Really, this is not how PhysX content/engine works

thatguy91
    older games etc can make use of the newer instructions
    I wonder how older games can use PhysX 3, when engine API has been changed completely.

8. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Boderlands is using PhysX for physics stuff (ragdolls, car physics, etc) on the CPU.
    So, with better optimized code to handle CPU PhysX there should be a significant difference.

9. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Unless the old code adds some limit or bug to what the game can stream to physX, which the new code maybe doesn't.
    That would be the only explanation.
    Still, why would effects appear that have been hidden? Very unlikely that the developers even would implement something they can't see.
    Unless there is some hostile none nvidia GPU limit.

Don't got any physx games like borderlands installed, so can't test it and make some screenshots/video for comparison.

10. Zogrim

Zogrim Active Member

GPU:
    GTX Titan
    Mineria
    Very unlikely that the developers even would implement something they can't see
    Indeed.
    PhysX effects = content. To add physics particles effect, for example, you need to create and tune PhysXParticleSystem object first, and add it to game level.

It is like saying that by swapping .dlls you can open new characters or get new weapons.

So I think mr. jpcc has missed something. I saw how people were seriously claiming that enabling PhysX in drivers adds more physics to Crysis.. so.
    Only if he had some screenshots.

11. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    And what about changing dll's, setting up HW physx in configuration file - and testing it running?
    My Nvidia PhysX indicator shows that in this case Borderlands uses GPU acceleration for PhysX...

So you want to say, that despite what Nvidia CPL reports, Borderlands still uses CPU?

12. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    There's nothing designed for GPU acceleration, you're allowing it and have set the profile for the CPL to pickup but there's no effects to take advantage of it.
    I changed the ini file when i first got the game and have not seen my dedicated cards usage budge off 0 for BL.

Although just to add, it does add one effect (not HW accelerated), when you shoot some dead bodies, they move :p

Back to the topic though, changing dll's aren't going to do anything except block certain effects here and there tbh, it's a nice thought but it's not going to work. There's been articles about this in the past.

13. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
  14. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    That may be the correct thing to do, jpcc! ;)
    When I extracted these files, all I got was a load of files of 0Kb size.
    So exactly what was making the zip file look like 25.9 Mb after download?
    Needless to say, I ran an exhaustive check on my rig for malware of any kind.
    Looks like someone saw you coming from a great distance away, and set you up rather nicely! :)

15. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    I can't find a reference to this but there it goes at 9fps (at places), I need to know if it outputs any results afterwards if you can help me and I'll post any differences I find.

16. Zogrim

Zogrim Active Member

GPU:
    GTX Titan
    I don't believe in this .dll magic, cause it does not correlate with my knowledge about how PhysX SDK is organized.
    But words means nothing - thus, some testing, as I promised.

System i7 2600K, GTX 580 (hardware acceleration disabled), 8 GB RAM

Game: Mirror's Edge 1.01 (PhysX SDK 2.8.0.7)
    Settings: 1680x1050, Highhest settings, PhysX On
    Benchmarking with "-FlybyFlight" (add this to a shortcut), measuring fps via FRAPS

Vanilla
    Game starts:
    Min: 9
    Avg: 27.5
    Max: 64

Replacing local files (PhysXLoader, NxCharacter, NxCooking, PhysXCore, PhysXDevice, PhysXExtensions)
    with similar SDK 2.8.4 files. Renaming PhysXCooking to NxCooking (won't start if not). Adding cudart.. files
    Game starts:
    Min: 10
    Avg: 26.96
    No difference in PhysX effects.

Reverting game to vanilla. Replacing PSS SDK 2.8.0 files (PhysXCooking, PhysXCore) with similar SDK 2.8.4 files.
    Game wont start. APPCRASH error.

Replacing PhysXLoader in /Common directory with SDK 2.8.4 PhysXLoader

Replacing both PSS and game files with similar SDK 2.8.4 files

Reverting PSS to vanilla. Replacing local files (PhysXCore, NxCooking) with SDK 3.1 files. Renaming PHYSX4DCC_PhysX3_x86 to PhysXCore. Renaming PHYSX4DCC_PhysX3Cooking_x86 to NxCooking. Adding cudart.. file
    Game won't start. NxPlatformMismatch error in NxCooking.dll

Reverting NxCooking to 2.8.0
    Game starts:
    Min: 9
    Avg: 27.3
    No difference in PhysX effects.

Reverting game to vanilla. Replacing PSS SDK 2.8.0 files (PhysXCooking, PhysXCore) with renamed SDK 3.1 files.

Replacing both PSS and game files with renamed SDK 3.1 files
    Game won't start. NxPlatformMismatch error in NxCooking.dll

Summ:
    Swapping .dlls results in game instability, no performance gain

But why did the game even started in same cases with swapped local files ? Because it was not using them - SDK has detected version mistmatch of vital files and loaded proper .ddls from PSS installation, not local ones. Some extensions libraries may not change from version to version though.

Same, creating 2.8.4 or 3.1 folders in PSS installation won't do anything. Driver won't recognize them, as those SDK are driverless and are using different method (application id) for .dll updates

Don't fall for it.

P.S. PSS means PhysX System Software = PhysX Drivers

Thanks for reading.
    Zogrim. PhysXInfo.com Team

mirh likes this.
  17. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    Fraps eh, I dont have that, bah.

18. jpcc

jpcc Member

GPU:
    none
    I had already forgotten about it, two years ago..., at that time the idea was just activate using the ati stream but it was not run well the game was only activate, but as you can see my topic was impossible to edit so I decided to leave her, and later turned out that propios updates ati ended up bringing the same improvements that I tried to teach in the tutorial.

19. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
    thx alot @Zogrim

20. jpcc

jpcc Member

GPU:
    none
    Ok, I'll take the tests.