AMD Catalyst 12.3 RC (8.950.0 February 14) AMD Official BETA

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Feb 15, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Just the 7000 series as far as i know. :)

2. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    nuts, powerplay is messed up on this one too.

After half an hour or so my OC isnt getting the full vcore anymore (its only getting 1.1 of 1.175) when it clocks up and the gpu resets over and over...

sigh...back to 12.2

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Eh? That's perfect normal on a 7970...
    1.175v at full load is around 1.115-1.095 in Heaven benchmark. you are NEVER going to get 1.175v load unless you do a hardware vdroop mod (which was shown on some Russian page).

If you want higher volts, you need to cool the card down. The volts drop (vdroop) depending on the temperature...

4. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Yeah if you are getting 1.175volts you either volt modded or you somehow over-volted with software like afterburner etc

Personally there is no reason to overvolt when you have powertune, I bumped my card up too 1050mhz with over-voltage, I saw no difference from when just using 950mhz with powertune set to +20%

5. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    its a 6950.

the 1.175 is supplied, not measured...no vdroop involved...

ive OCed it to 900/1400 and upped vcore to 1.175

Powerplay is supposed to give the correct vcore when clocked at full OC (900/1400/1.175)

its not...its only giving 1.1 which isnt enough for my OC..which is why i upped it in the first place.

Powerplay works fine on 12.1/12.2, and supplies the correct vcore at all clocks, but not on any of the 12.3s..

i monitor all my clocks and voltages on my g19 while gaming, so i know them intimately...

makes me a sad bunny, 12.3s have better performance...

6. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    ah, sorry I didn't read all of the posts above...BTW you know you can edit the bios to change that 1.1v to 1.175, right?
    I remember seeing a field with 1.1v in the radeon bios editor for a 6970...just edit that, change that to 1175 mv and off you go.
    You have a backup bios switch anyway....

7. TheOriginalTO

TheOriginalTO Master Guru

GPU:
    5500 XT / 8gb
    So, do these seem decent for a 5870 mobility card maybe or do you recommend another?

8. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    id rather not, the card is not designed to run at 1.175..a bios mod is not waranted...

but the problem remains, why does 12.1/12.2 handle powerplay correctly, but 12.3 does not?

btw: ive seen you on [H]..same name..i appreciate your input....

9. Shayne

Shayne Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    That is the only true way i have found to provide a stable OC. Find out what your card can do over a few month. Ensure stable clocks/voltages and than flash it to that setting. Powerplay will not know the diff, your dual monitors will work when overclocked and your life will be a whole lot easier.

Thanks for the input guys on the big pixel in skyrim, these drives suck. amd_catalyst_12.2_preview_32-64 is working fine here.

Regards

10. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1080 GTX Founders C
    I do not have this problem with this download but it was a problem with a prior 12 driver. I uninstalled all AMD and then had to reinstall a prior driver and never got the one to show CCC.

But, these "Preview" and "RC" drivers tend to have a problem for me of not uninstalling. "Fatal Error", etc. So, I have to use Drive Sweeper to get rid of them.

Here is another finding for the latest drivers including this one:

I use "selective start-up" most of the time (Run, MSCONIFG, Start-Up Tab) and uncheck Adobe, Creative help, etc. and all the other programs that don't need to start with my computer. Then it only takes half of a forever to start.

After installing this driver there are now there are two different entries for the CCC. I have one unchecked. I looked at the addresses, names and then looked in the C Drive and the two different entries refer to the same exe file.

But, ultimately these non-WHQL are usable for me. If CCC doesn't show up then Afterburner can do the job. It is annoying. Also, the fact that they do not uninstall in Control Panel.

Have you looked at Run, MSCONFIG and then go to the Start-Up tab and can you see the CCC listed there? If not, then maybe it did not install correctly.

My opinion is that these Preview and RC drivers can sometimes have issues with these accoutrements that are not essential to the driver itself.

11. So Sick

So Sick Guest

GPU:
    twinfrII HD6950 1000/1475
    I haven't tried these drivers but normally when pci-e slot runs at the wrong speed i would do a bios reset. Sjappo Amd for messing up the pci-e speed with software. Nice new feauture hehe. Ati driverteam appears to be just ignorant sometimes. I'm not saying i would do it better but i think they feel like they are selling a lot of cards anyway..

12. Forceflow

Forceflow Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    I rolled back to 12.2 preview - for the set of games I'm playing right now (BF3, Skyrim, Alan Wake), these seem to give the right balance between issues and performance.

Poor drivers lately, AMD, very poor.

13. Vortex

Vortex Member

GPU:
    rx6800xt
    These drivers were a downgrade in performance for me in BF3 (single card HD7970) plus CCC was bugged, in AMD overdrive the memory frequency would show then disappear all the time. reverting back to the RC1's

14. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    I ended dumping these drivers after a little poking around.

1. SDK Runtime is not included with these drivers
    2. There is no link on the AMD site refering to these drivers like 12.1 and 12.2 had

So in my opinion more issues than usual is to be expected

15. mstcobra

mstcobra Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti (H2O)
    This driver acted very funny on my 5870m. It took a very long time to launch, had a disappearing tray icon and BSODed me 2 times in a row when trying to benchmark it with 3DMark11.

Went back to the 12.2/8.94 Official preview driver and will stick with that for the time being until 12.4 is out.

16. Carbonic

Carbonic Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    So, havn't solved the Skyrim bug with flickering squares. Anyways: here's a video should you wanna know what it is:
    http://youtu.be/y6D3r9_rp7k

17. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    just drop the dll from the one that works into the skyrim directory, that way you can keep these for BF3

18. Carbonic

Carbonic Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    Which dll/dll's should I copy from an older driver to the folder? Currently Skyrim only contains the "atimgpud.dll" file which isn't present in any drivers I've got, only other games.

19. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    atidxx for Direct X games i believe (and atiogl for open gl games)

watch the bitness, there is one for 32, and a different one for 64..

20. VERRY

VERRY Member

GPU:
    Ati HD5850
    missing red circle and yellow arrow at fifa 12