America remaking Sherlock...

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by sdamaged99, Feb 15, 2012.

1. KCjoker

KCjoker Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    It's funny and yet pathetic the country bashing that goes on here so often. There are some good shows and movies and some bad it doesn't matter where they're made. Most of these posts are people having arguements over opinions. British humor is not better or worse than American's...it's just different. The reason so many tv shows are made first in other countries before the USA is because it lowers the cost.

2. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    I hope it actually encourages more americans to read the original books...

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. A rather interesting chap who set up the "ghost club".

"Hound of the Baskervilles" being my fav ofc!

3. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    Seinfeld

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Hound of the Baskervilles was the worst of the Sherlock episodes as well; well I thought it was anyway.

I personally don’t get this rage that seems to plague much of the movie watching community when the word remake is used, not even when I heard about Blade Runner being remade, as it doesn’t take anything away from the original.

Think people take offense to American remakes because it’s like they are saying, “We like the story, but not your actors, the way you speak, or you culture”

It is a little sad that new ideas do seem to be a dying thing though, these days nearly every movie/game is a sequel, prequel or a remake.
    Movie wise I’ve stopped caring I think, but game wise these and other forums are full of comments from people saying I can’t wait until the sequel to X game is out.

5. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    I agree Redemption, it was the weakest episode. Not helped by a bad display of acting by the guy having mental problems

6. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    Personally, Sherlock don't interest me. I've not seen the American films, and I would have never known it was comedy if not for this thread. I've always been under the impression it was a crime drama/ mystery.
    All that said, if I saw an American made Sherlock, and it wasn't set in England, or the actors didn't at least have a British accent, I'd be insulted. We may not know everything about your culture, but he's an icon. Changing him would be as stupid as changing the Lone Ranger into a modern detective.

@ I agree with the stupidity of the forum culture wars. I's time to give it a rest. No, we're not the same. We're from different places. Diversity used to make the world better.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  7. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    @op we are the usa we do what we want when we want we take things and make it better if you don't like it we don't care....usa= we are the world

8. zhengzhoudave

zhengzhoudave Guest

GPU:
    4GB EVGA GTX680 FTW 2xSLI
    It's quite possible that in the future both your countries economy and that of my own fair isle will crumble, along with our defence budgets! Just what exactly do think people from other parts of the world will do to us when that happens?

I hope you're being sarcastic, but it's never a good idea to go around saying "My country is THE **** and your country is ****" It just doesn't help matters!

By the time you're an old age pensioner it's quite possible that you will be an arabasian's bitch concubine, quite possible indeed! :p

9. Mr_Alexander

Mr_Alexander Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GYGABYTE 3080ti
    I do not know why some of you guys so against that Americans are going to remake series about Sherlock Holmes. It does not matter which country as long as done right. When I grew up in Russia the Russian TV series about Sherlock Holmes were my favorite. They were very close to the books. The Russian actor who played Sherlock Holmes is one of the best in history. He even has his picture posted in Sherlock Holmes museum on Baker street in London.
    On 20 February 2006 Livanov became an Honorary MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire) "for service to the theatre and performing arts".[1]
    The daughter of Arthur Conan Doyle once commented that her father would approve Livanov as Holmes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasily_Livanov

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  10. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    A book should have been written about this ;)

11. KCjoker

KCjoker Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    I get that, just like a lot of Americans don't like some of the recent choices for Superman, Spiderman, Batman,etc....If I watch a James Bond movie it should be played by a Brit so it's the same thing.

12. erocker

erocker Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    The US version of Life on Mars was clearly superior to the UK version. Just sayin'.

13. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Guest

GPU:
    American television is sad. I know, I watch it everyday.

14. nOv1c3

nOv1c3 Guest

GPU:
    2X VisionTek HD 4850
  15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Those are American funded, not remade for American TV.

Unless the plan is to remake Sherlock, but use English actors and set it in London, which would be incredibly pointless.

A remade show with US actors set in a US city and running for 20+ episodes a year would get cancelled in no time, it’s not like you guys don’t already have enough crime dramas.

16. Risco

Risco Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 650M
    Lol, it is a 1hr 30 mins on BBC, with the American adverts it will be 3 hours!

17. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    [​IMG]

18. Crucible

Crucible Guest

GPU:
    Asus Tuf 4090 OC
    The office is great, Skins is utter horse ****, Being human is okay, if Torchwood latest season counts then you already know my answer, and the rest is all garbage on both sides as far as I am concerned.

I've probably watched every episode of a good couple dozen popular british TV shows. My favorite being Doctor Who of course.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  19. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    Generally, the Scots do not like to be called British, even if it is technically correct.

20. KCjoker

KCjoker Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    I probably should've been more specific...sorry if I offended anyone.