How to stop smoking?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Anubis, Feb 13, 2012.

1. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Read Allen Carr's Easy way to stop smoking..worked for me 100%..

2. ScaryClown

ScaryClown Guest

GPU:
    3090 Zotac
    You can use Zyban or Tabex both tested and proven to help reduce nicotine addiction....

3. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    Zyban didn't work for me, but it made me extremely mean. I started screaming at a baby one day at the mall, and that's just not me. I quit taking it after that, and my normal temperament came back within a couple days.

4. S3nt3nc3

S3nt3nc3 Master Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W7000
    My gf used to smoke a lot. I didn't know that when i meet her because she always took like 5 peppermint gums while smoking. One day i asked her what does she like in smoking, she said that it smells nice for her. So i started to smoke to show her how nice it is to kiss someone who smoke lol.

Worked perfect.
    2 years and counting :)

5. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Cold turkey + junk food.

I spent a week in ICU with really bad asthma...I was absolutely f-ed. In that week I spent there, the amount of stuff I coughed up was insane.

But despite how sick I was, and how much I needed to quit. I still had the occasional cigarette.

The only way I could quit in the end was with the help of junk food.

Fatty foods have a major calming effect. Every time I would crave a cigarette to the point I thought I might have one; I would drive around to Burger King and get 2 Double Beef and Bacon Burgers.

After eating that I would feel a lot better and I would be much less agitated.

I did that for about 2 months and then I was able to just stop.

I got cravings for maybe 3 years afterwards every now and then, but never enough to make me want to smoke. Now 4 years later I don't ever crave cigarettes.

Give it up as soon as you can. Every day I regret the damage I've done to myself.

6. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    basically you have to want to quit and dont quit in one go,do it gradually,i was made redundunt last september...5 months later im still waitng for my redunduncy money which ive since foundout i might not get until june,on top of this, finding a job that i have qualifications foris near imposible,the last month has been extremely hard to the point of making a decision...do i buy food or tobacco,the longest ive gone with out a cig is 3 days,after the first 2 days being without a smoke i begin to feel good and know i can do with out smoking so i just limit myself to 50g a week,im now smoking 1/3 of what i was 5 weeks ago,cutting out smoking will only cause problems do it gradually or seek your doctors assistance

point is...i know i dont need it and i can go with out,ive smoked for 23yrs and i still think calling smoking an addiction is just an excuse

hope this helps...good luck

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  7. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
  8. zhengzhoudave

zhengzhoudave Guest

GPU:
    4GB EVGA GTX680 FTW 2xSLI
    I am a very heavy smoker, I haven't smoked since Christmas 2010 - not a single cigarette! But prior to that I had quit several times and over a twelve year period varied from a few a day to several packs at some point!

When I finally quit it was because I was so sick of waking up in the morning and coughing for ten minutes everyday single day!

Finally when I did quit I did it cold turkey and had cold sweats and shivers for 48 hours - vomiting (black bits) and nausea for a week.

After going through that I really hope I will never smoke again! I think about smoking all the time though, I think I always will. The problem is I KNOW that first cigarette will be SO GOOD! It's really hard sometimes!

SO - MY ADVICE IS TO QUIT WITHOUT AIDS - THEY'RE JUST A REPLACEMENT CRUTCH!!!

9. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    People don't believe me when I say you lack self control if you can't quit anything.

You could also try our buddies method. Two people sit at table and there is a smoke in the middle. When they look at it or reach for it, punch them in the face.

10. Cambria

Cambria Guest

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    Its more of a behavioral addiction than anything else. Iv been smoking 2 cigs a day for about 4 years and never picked up anymore. I dont think Iv ever even smoked a pack in a week.

So the reason I havent exactly quit is $7 a week or so is hardly noticeable to me. But I can easily go a few days or even a week without a smoke just fine, as long as I keep busy it doesnt bother me at all. My ADD really starts to kick back in though.

To the guy above me about lack of self control. In the cases of drugs like heroin and cocaine, your body actually becomes physically addicted to those drugs and if you just stop doing them it could actually kill you. Maybe it was meth not heroin.

11. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    Ok i havent read the other suggestions, but here is mine, hava a sit down with those who care about you, and tell them that if they ever see you smoking, they should kick the **** out of you.

it sounds funny and crazy..........let me know when it has worked.

12. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    I smoked for 35 years and just walked away from it last July. I did the nicotine mints for the first couple of weeks, got sick of the taste of them and have been cold turkey since. My only addiction right now is English mints. lol

[​IMG]

I go through a 1 kilo bag every 2 weeks. $3.00 compared to $60.00. I can live with that.

13. dshramek

dshramek Guest

I quit using Hypnosis. Prior to that I tried the patch, gum, acupuncture, & prescription drugs. Nothing worked for long. I had smoked for 15 years & smoked about 1 1/2 packs a day. Hypnosis worked day one. I haven't had a cigarette in 9 years.
    Hypnosis works by giving you subliminal triggers to help keep you level, calm, & without the desire to smoke. It was the cheapest method, also(next to cold turkey).

14. zhengzhoudave

zhengzhoudave Guest

GPU:
    I'm guessing that many people know this already but I'm just putting it out there!

You get cancer from smoking because of mutated cells. These mutated cells can be triggered any time or never! You can smoke 50 a day and not get cancer, but you'll still be really ill! Or the first cigarette you have can give you cancer if it mutates some of your cells!

This has nothing to do with emphysema etc

15. Cambria

Cambria Guest

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    This is true. Some people can smoke all their life and never get cancer. Some get it fairly quickly. It really depends on the person.

My grandpa has been smoking pretty much his whole life and hes approaching 90 and still doin alright. My grandma on the other hand died from lung cancer at 65.

Since neither of them are blood related to me, Im not sure where I would stand.

BUT, cancer is not the only factor to be taken into account here. Cigs do alot more than just cause cancer. Aside from other numerous lung infections, they also suppress hunger and I may be wrong but I believe they also constrict blood flow which is not good for the heart. They also greatly kill brain cells just as any kind of smoke does. And, the most probably the most noticeable effect is the vast effect on lung capacity.

16. gampamu

gampamu Guest

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTS 320
    Chantix worked for me also. Made giving up the smokes nearly effortless. I did not experience any side effects.

17. sano614

sano614 Guest

GPU:
    VisionTek 5870
    I actually quit last month (January 14th) after smoking almost a pack a day for almost 16 years. I stopped cold turkey. I got tired of wasting money on something that I had nothing to show for.

I initially bought the nicorette mints which I read worked well, but you could get addicted to them, so I decided to just tough it out and not take anything.

The first few days was hard to just break the habit.. Wake up > cigarette, eat > cigarette, coffee > cigarette, driving > cigarette, etc.. Whenever I had a real craving for a cigarette I just drank a lot of water. The first few days I drank A LOT of water. It is a lot easier now and I'm around people who smoke everyday with no issues! I mean I'd still like to have one, but it is not that bad.

18. eclypse

eclypse Member

GPU:
    QuadFire 7970
    Yeah dont forget the massive tar build up in the lungs and the awfall smell that goes with it that also stinks up your breath and clothes. Oh and also stains your teeth.

19. zhengzhoudave

zhengzhoudave Guest

GPU:
    Something I noticed about the awful smell is that smokers genuinely can't smell it! It just somehow doesn't register AT ALL

But after you quit and go to visit people who still smoke it hits you in the face!

And my teeth feel much better these days too!

20. pogostickio

pogostickio Master Guru

GPU:
    DannyD's GTX 1080ti
    go cold turkey. All of the medicinal aids to help you quit are there to make money out of you. If you want to quit then you will. I quit compulsiviely smoking several cannabis spliffs on a daily basis back in December. Now I haven't had one spliff in 7 weeks. Soon it will be 7 months. Then 7 years. Sure, i'll have a toke if I'm offered when I'm out with friends but I won't be addicted and why? Because I decided not to be.