Bad artifacting and display corruption on overclock

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Extraordinary, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I popped my old 6850 shorting out some VGA lead pins, anyway got it RMA'd and got a replacement installed.

The replacement seems to have problems, I have 2 x 6850 in CFX

If they are running at stock, everything seems fine, if I crank them up to even CCC max of 850MHz I start getting weird stuttering

If I crank the VRAM up from 1000 to 1100MHz I get artifacting all over the screen, even sometimes the left quarter of the display ends up on the right side of the screen

(Weird thing about the last error was it did not show in a screenshot, only on the display)

Then finally I get a BSOD

The Bluescreen makes me think it is something other than just a faulty card and maybe driver issues ?

The corruption and artifacting makes me think faulty VRAM

I have removed and reinstalled 12.1 drivers

What you think? Card or driver problem ?

2. nikitash

nikitash Banned

GPU:
    MSI R6870 HAWK
    Nope, Ur gpu bios not allowing you to go higher without voltage tweaks. Every gpu have its limits. Try increasing voltage using MSi afterburner by .2mv increment.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I was using Sapphire TRIXX with the same problem

None of these problems with the first card

4. davido6

davido6 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rx5700xt
    if both cards work at stock then they fine not all cards ment to overclock

5. Nihilanth

Nihilanth Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7850 Twin Frozr III
    The exact same(opposite) thing happened when i tried to take my card memory to 1250 @ 1.172v - the right quarter of my screen ended up on the left hand side :p
    The memory was happy enough to go higher but the core refused to budge from the 930-940mhz mark unless i threw some serious voltage at it so i let it be at 930/1200 @ 1.159. :(

Anyways maybe its the replacement which is holding the CF back since the problem that you mentioned(highlighted) occured to me too when i was messing around with memory clocks. But then again almost all 6850's should do 850 without touching the voltage unless its a real dud.

What were your OC figures with the original combination? Tried other driver versions?

6. heroxoot

heroxoot Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    Your card has its limits. If you wanted easily OC'd 6850s you should have got MSI r6850s liek me. The stock is 860/1100 and I got mine to 1000/1150.

7. Nihilanth

Nihilanth Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7850 Twin Frozr III
    got the same card..what voltage are you using to get 1000/1150? i am currently at 930/1200 @ 1.159.

Like i said in my previous post, my memory is game but my core won't budge above even 950 unless i start throwing voltages upwards of 1.19.

8. Matthew Simis

Matthew Simis Active Member

GPU:
    HD7970 + GT240 Physx
    And!?

9. Nihilanth

Nihilanth Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7850 Twin Frozr III
    And!? what? too much? too less?

I have read about people using voltages anywhere between 1.2v to 1.3 to get to the 1GHz mark so i was just curious what heroxoot was throwing at his card.

You mind being a bit more specific here man?

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Yea my last card along with one of the current ones in here now would hit 1000/1120 without artifacting or any other major problems, not 100% stable there though, but they would do 940/1120 24/7 @ 1.174v

I thought at first because I was running one of the preview drivers, and it was crashing during that Realtime Skin Rendering Demo at stock but still does it with official 12.1 CCC

I think the replacement card is a bad egg, seems ok at stock if you dont give it too much to do, other than that it hangs, driver crashes and bsods etc and if you try 850/1100 in CCC only it dies quickly

I don't understand though, if there is a problem with a card, is should show up in a screenshot when there is corruption on the desktop, I took a screeny of the right Q over on the left side and the screenshot came back normal

When I open GPU-Z, selecting one card from the dropdown states CFX Enabled, selecting the other card states CFX Disabled (CFX is enabled)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012

11. Nihilanth

Nihilanth Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7850 Twin Frozr III
    Yeah looks like you were unlucky there..did you try keeping the memory at 1000 at just seeing how far the core goes? Isn't it where all the gain lies?

Or can you replace the replacement?

edit: i was messing around with the memory clocks at 1250 and the screen swap thing happened again so i took a screen shot this time and guess what? Its all normal..strange..pushing the mem to high seems to cause this anomaly.

12. Portuogral

Portuogral Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    I have to agree with users that say your card isn't a good overclocker.... As it works fine @ stock frequencies, I don't think you can replace it. What would you say in RMA? That "my card does not overclock"?! I don't think so. Unless you bought the card at a local store and you have a very good relationship with the manager, I suppose you're stuck with what you have right now.
    You can always sell the card to someone that doesn't OC [or you can kill it and ask for RMA (I'm kidding) lol]

Johnny

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Weird how the screen swap can't be screenshot, usually only monitor issues cant be screenshot, Ive seen many GPU faults on screenshots, I wonder if it sends too high of a frequency to the monitor and it actually IS the monitor that cant handle it

Well I installed MSI AB earlier and bumped it up to my usual 940/1100 @ 1.172v and it caused the game exe to crash, dropped it down to 850/1100 at stock voltage and crashed again

reset everything, left to core at 775 and hit the vram up to 1100, stable

vram back to 1000 and core up to 850, stable

vram up to 1100 and core at 850 stock voltage and 3 hours of Crysis 2 stable...

Weird.. Im gonna leave it at 850/1100 anyway for now, maybe the card just likes the slow approach or needs burning in first. Anyhoo its better than stock and stable now so that`ll do me

Another weird thing too though, I don't get voltage control in AB unless I goto settings and change the dropdown to card 2 even though they are set to combine clocks

Might swap the cards over in the PCI-e slots and see what happens there, it does seem in GPUz to be backwards somehow too