Windows 8 UI is dropping the 'Start' button

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 7, 2012.

1. pjokerxp

pjokerxp Banned

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 680 2GB
    does hiding the taskbar frees space on memory to play games at high FPS?

2. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
  3. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    I do not get the big fuss. I was pretty sure standard UI would be available for windows 8. I believe the metro UI will be a layer on top of the standard UI and you would be able to switch between the two.

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    If there's any good reason to use Win 8 over 7 I'll just disable the annoying tablet GUI they shoved in and it should revert back to good ol' Vista/7 style assuming that's left in the final release.

5. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    I'd actually like the desktop to become useful.

6. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    You have 12gb RAM, you don't need to worry about memory just yet :thumbup:

Sorry, double post :hbd:

7. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    I think on beta, aero and 24p playing worked fine, sooooo win8 g0g0g0 here, i'll adapt.

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Looks much better than i was expecting, and i like the idea of something i could use on a desktop and a tablet, as i feel using a desktop pc for day to day computing is a waste of time and money.

Black_ice_Spain, yeah i heard that 24p playback was going to be improved alot in W8, and that alone would be enough for me to upgrade.

Heard mentions of small gaming improvements, but that could be a placebo effect, also i glad there is no DX12 or anything, as i will be very disappointed if i see DX12 before Windows 9.

9. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Well said Sir...! I couldn't put it better myself!

10. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    The videos I've seen are strange, they clearly show a UI that has been designed for the jumbo jabbing finger masses. Stupidly Big Buttons, Menus filled with large amounts of scrolling, Things like the snap to half screen being added to a push button in stead / as well as of a mouse drag.

Then you get in to some of the menus, like Windows Explorer and Control Panel and it's full of small icons, smaller direct links to sub menus, stuff that would be very easy with a mouse to click but a bit harder with the grubby finger of jab.

Anyway no matter what the Windows Phone look metro UI, NO JUST NO. No doubt it will be fully configurable, by that I mean totally hidden from site but I have no desire to turn my desktop in to a massive Windows Phone by festooning it with stupidly big and totally unneeded icons. I don't even have normal sized icons on my current desktop why the bloody hell would I need something 5 times the size that does the exact same job?

11. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    I am not gonna hate on Win8 until I try it(have the alpha.....but it's alpha). So making up stuff like vista 2.0 or fail windows doesn't make sense because no one really knows how the beta is going to be. Judge it after trying the beta or when it's released.

12. quaker3

quaker3 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6850HD
    how much they will force consumers to have win8? i mean force, not advertise.. :D

13. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Meh, a new type of UI sounds interesting but if it's like that Metro UI, it better be goddamn custimizable like hell. Hate it when menu's become overtly "user friendly" with restrictions on how much you can set it to your own liking so it'll work according to your needs.

Still, cba to pay for a new Windows version if that's all it has to offer.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I really don't understand this "I don't like Windows8, I'm switching to Linux" ****. You don't HAVE to "upgrade" to Windows8. You actually have a choice....it's MS, not Apple. If you're happy with WindowsXP, Vista or 7....you can keep using them. Switching to Linux won't prevent major UI changes....just look at Gnome3.0....pretty drastic change from previous versions of Gnome.

People will always find something to complain about. I don't like a lot of the changes MS made (at least how they were done in the developer preview), nor am I exactly thrilled about the MetroUI in the form it's been presented to us so far....but, after using Windows Phone 7 for the last 1.5months, I'm getting very used to the "look and feel".... At this point, my issue is the wasted screen space more than the actual UI itself. Of course, it should be customizable....

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  15. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    Yeahhhh! 1+! they must let's us choose! i want my desktop, to be a desktop..!! not a huge tablet on my face!!

16. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I can see so many people revolting against this. I know I'll most likely be the first to do so, but I'll give Microsoft the chance to show us what they have in mind before jumping the gun.

deltatux

17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    It's a retarded tablet interface, of course everyone is going to rage about it. I don't know about you, but I have absolutely no interest in a tablet interface which severely cripples functionality, it's incredibly annoying to me. The best part of Vista/7 is the start menu.

18. snowdweller

snowdweller Guest

GPU:
    Leadtek GTX 580 SLI
    For me MetroUI is like having 1000 apps condensed onto my monitor so theres something to click for each app (1000 icons is alot on 24"). Compared to the start button which was that, 1 button.

Hopefully the modding community can keep Bluepoison going for the GM release.

I like innovation but I don't like removing options.

19. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    It's official, I'm sticking to Win7 then. I don't like the sound/look of this new UI at all.

Sounds like Vista all over again. It will take more than DX12 for me to switch to Win 8.

Why? Well, that is simple really. I upgrade my video cards to run these new DX9 games max at 1080p, yet they are DX 11 and 11.1 compatible.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  20. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    relax guys..you should all know by now that tons of 3rd party developers and hackers will either make or activate a proper start button and menu. i mean in W7, you can get an xp menu, 98 menu or even an entire OSX UI....so why concern?

my main thing is whether or not w8 will be faster performing and more eficient cause technically, what i do on my PC, i can do in XP for the most part and everything but gaming i can do on Linux....which really for us tech geeks and power users is a far superior OS