Scotch whiskey!

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by DSparil, Feb 2, 2012.

1. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    For years I have been more of an American Whiskey or Bourbon drinker, but im thinking of trying a Scotch. I've never had one, but have heard and read that single malt Scotch can be quite good. Someone also told me that it is more "drinkable" on the rocks and goes down smoother than bourbon. Is this true? I usually have to have a shot of Coke or something with bourbon, because other wise its rough.

Who can recommend me a good single malt Scotch to try?? Something that won't break the bank please... not looking to run out and drop $50 on a bottle of something I may not even like lol

:cheers:

2. Sampson

Sampson Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 970GTX
    Any from Canada or Scotland would do you good!

And yes, its much easier to drink on the rocks then Bourbon ;)

3. DEVIL29

DEVIL29 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Nvidia GTX 280
    'have heard and read that single malt Scotch can be quite good' ??!!!! lol it's the best in the world (and no i'm not scottish lol ; )) woah,where to start? erm....well i can reccomend you some of my favourites.
    Aberlour
    Bowmore Legend
    Glenmorangie
    Glenfiddich
    Highland Park
    Lagavulin
    any of the above are excellent single malts.i prefer to drink them neat without ice or water,but everyone has their own preference.as for mixing a single malt with anything - DON'T DO IT lol.if you have to mix whisky with something,do it with a blended whisky or a bourbon-malts are created to be enjoyed as they are ; ).will be interested to hear your opinions on any of these.Enjoy ! : )

4. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Good luck getting any of the actual Scottish ones for a decent price in Florida though, the ones listed above are generally 30 pound a pop, so god knows what'll be like there

5. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I do love a good single malt Scotch.

6. DEVIL29

DEVIL29 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Nvidia GTX 280
    true,Scatman,probably would be paying around 50/60 dollars for anything i've mentioned,but i think it would be well worth it : ) oh,and i must mention a japanese single malt called Yamakasi.insanely good whisky from the Suntory distillery.

7. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    You say that you like whiskey and drink American whiskey with Coke ? Whiskey with Coke is a big NO, you are ruining good whiskey! Well, you would be would ruining good whiskey but you are drinking American stuff so I kinda understand you.

Ice to whiskey ? Pff... Cools down the whiskey too much and adds too much water to it when it melts (imo). Small amount of water to whiskey is ok (like, 2 small spoons of water to 4cl or so).

As for the Single Malt Scotch whiskeys...

The Balvenie is good (Signature, DoubleWood), have not tasted PortWood yet...
    I also can recommend The Glenlivet.

And btw, go to some pub which has loads of different ones, taste something and then buy a bottle of it, if you like it.

8. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Have you ever tried drinking Jack Daniels or Makers Mark on the rocks without anything? Haven't you heard of a "Jack and Coke"? Makers is a great bourbon, but its a bit rough going down. When I say I add Coke, its a splash or two (with a good bourbon) and more with the cheap stuff.

and DEVIL29 - I just called a local liquor market and have already located much of the Scotch you recommended! Many of them are costly, but two of them are not, namely the Glenfiddich 12 yr and the Bowmore Legend. I can get either for between $30 and $35 USD. I may pick one up tonight! Oh, and I won't attempt to mix them ;)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  9. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    [​IMG]

a fine Single Malt!!

10. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Glenfidfich for $30 is a bargain, but yeah, I've had jack straight a bunch of times, it's fowl, actual scotch is pretty drinkable on its own

11. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Have tasted Jack Daniels (rocks, without and with Coke). Someone bought for me at the pub, or I have been visiting someone who has offered it.

I'm not sure if this story is true or not, still a good one tho:
    When Jack Daniels was starting his whiskey production he wanted to know what Scotch think about his whiskey so he sent a bottle to Scotland. Some time after he sent to bottle, he receives the same bottle with little whiskey gone. There is also a letter which says "Kill that horse, it's got a diabetes".

12. zhengzhoudave

zhengzhoudave Guest

GPU:
    4GB EVGA GTX680 FTW 2xSLI
    You my friend are a First Time Scotch drinker and as such you need a first time Scotch drinkers drink! some really good posts on the thread but I guarantee that you will probably enjoy something called Glenlivet.

When you have a pallet for it you should spend some money on a drink called Laphroaig! My old house was named after this drink, It's that good!

13. nOv1c3

nOv1c3 Guest

GPU:
    2X VisionTek HD 4850
    There is allot of good whiskeys out there from around the world . Including America , Some of the places may surprise you

Dont forget allot of the Scottish houses are using old American bourbon cask to age there own whiskey

I think it all comes down to Age The older the better and its not gona be cheap lol

DSparil: Check your PM

14. Jonup

Jonup Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTS250 828/1944/2500
    I fixed it for you. I just picked a bottle for $90 last night. It's twice your budget but it's worth every penny. You drink ****ty Scotch on the rocks. The good **** - only neat. Don't waste your money if you gonna cool it off so you cannot taste it.

15. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Word of warning might be in place. It's smokey whiskey, I dont like those. Many recommend and say it's good, but definitely check (taste at pub) some smokey whiskeys before buying a bottle of this.

16. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    ^ Scotch in general is smokey? Hmm, if thats the case idk if I like the sound of that. That Glenfiddich is on sale for $29.99 at a local place... sounds to be a deal

17. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    I'd say for somebody who is already used to drinking spirits that highland Park would be a good starting point. It gives you a good idea of what Scotch Whisky is all about without straying too far into the peaty end of the spectrum. It's also isn't as light and delicate as a speyside which people generally recommend as a good starting point, it definitely has decent flavour to it.

If it's winter though I can't go past the heavy peaty ones. Laphroaig & Ardbeg are my favourites and offer bottles at a variety of prices so you may find something in your price range.

18. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    No, there are certain brands that strive to be Smokey, I would say most are not

19. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    Laphroaig's a bit of an acquired taste... not for me!!l....lol....

20. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    you Sir,you just won the interwebz !
    i totally vouch for Macallan,the single malt that i really enjoy.i don;t know what they put in it,but i am so enjoy it.