Did you buy a 7950?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Netherwind, Jan 31, 2012.

?

Have you bought a 7950

1. Yes of course!

10 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. Not yet but I will quite soon.

7 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. No, it's too expensive.

39 vote(s)
    34.8%
  4. No, I've already got a 7970 or something better

14 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. No, I'll wait for Kepler

42 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. theillusiveman

theillusiveman Member Guru

GPU:
    2x-N570GTX-(840/2000Mhz)
    thing is priced way to high. Like everyone else said it doesn't Blow the GTX580 out of the water in performance, so why the hell is it the same price?

GPU's are supposed to move forward with new technology being faster and cheaper then old technology, that's just how it is. But AMD is greedy and instead of forcing invidia's hand by charging $100 for these cards, they choose not to stir up the market at all.

It's a shame too because they could sell a heck of alot more of these things if they were priced lower (i would pick 2 up, and so would alot of other people in the various forums i've visited) but they insist on this ridiculous pricing.

Buy hey, i just picked up another 570 so i'm pretty much set until Nvidia launches real next-Gen cards at next-gen pricing!

2. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Price is too high. My max is the same I paid for my 5870 2 years ago. Which is about 360 euro. Anything above that is just too much to spend on a graphics card. Did that once, Radeon 9700 Pro at 500 euro, and while that did last a good 3+ years, that was in the time of CRT monitors and not using AA.

I need an upgrade because I went to 2560x1440, and while my 5870 is actually still performing admirably, BF3 runs at 40ish FPS at high with 2x postprocess AA, I can't play The Witcher 2 at max (without ubersampling) at all :( and that is a game that demands and deserves to be played at maxed out settings. But seeing as how the Enhanced Edition patch will be out 17th April, there's plenty of time to wait for pricedrops.

3. bonob

bonob Master Guru

GPU:
    radeon hd 6970 2 go
    my point of view was , why waiting for the mid range 7 serie when you can buy the 6970 or 6950 for a very good price and performance/spec wise they will be very close.

4. v4npro

v4npro Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7900XT
    Damn, I don't know if I should buy a 7950 and then sell my 6870...... Think I will.

Sapphire or Powercolor.....o/c versions..

5. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    6870 to 7950?, not worth it.

6. DarthElvis

DarthElvis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx980 g1
    I'll spend $100-$150 less and get another 6970 and have better performance than either of AMD's overpriced behemoths. And yes, they are overpriced. The jump in performance does not justify the jump in price. The 580 was/is overpriced as well.

7. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    I brought one.. But then I woke up lol.

8. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    7970 + Waterblock, overclocked/benchmarked then sold, waiting for Kepler. Though suggested a 7950 or 7970 to a friend who currently has GTX460 SLI so they might buy one along with a waterblock :)

9. v4npro

v4npro Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7900XT
    Really? Seems like it would be a big upgrade.

10. pmurgs

pmurgs Member

GPU:
    Two 5850's + 5570
    Same for me. 7970/7950 pricing is too high to get me to buy one. I so wanted one for BF3 but got 79XX performance for $120 by buying a second 5850. And price on gfx cards is usually related to how long a product has been out, once Keplar is out and 79XX prices drop, it might be too late in the cycle for me to consider buying one. So no sale this round ATi, your prices are too high.

Perhaps Keplar will bring something worth buying. Been 7 ATi cards since I bought a NVidia card, but maybe later this year I'll be back in the green camp.

Lets see what DX12 and the 8XXX series bring.

11. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    I'm getting mine tomorrow. Just not happy with my GTX580...to much frikken heat.
    People forgot that the 7950 OCs like a crazy. Getting 1000 on core is so easy with gains of 30% being seen.

When OC'ed it creams the 580.

12. Snajlen

Snajlen Guest

GPU:
    Rog Strix 1080ti
    if my gtx280 was still alive without Pinkscreen of death i would still be with that.
    i still dont see much dx11 games around to say "wow i need a dx11 card."

13. bonob

bonob Master Guru

GPU:
    radeon hd 6970 2 go
    the witcher 2, metro 2033, crysis 2, battlefield 3, batman ac...and so on, no really there's not much dx11 great games out : )

14. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    FuryXfire 3440x14freesync
    Nvidia 3gb 580 sells for the same price as the 7970..who's price gouging here? It would be pretty stupid of Amd to to sell a faster card at a cheaper price. If Nvidia wasn't suck a price gouger they'd have dropped there prices by $100 forcing AMD to actually price the cards better for everyone.
    You just wait if the new Nvidia cards are faster I but ya they sell for at least 600!

15. LiquidFrost

LiquidFrost Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3080 Master
    Holding out for now, but very tempted. Not really playing any games that really require it.

Held out on 69xx series due to little boost over 58xx, now it seems I'm holding out due to price primarily.

16. djjonastybe

djjonastybe Master Guru

GPU:
    HD6950(70) 885/1350
    im overly satisfied of my HD6950(70) lol. This will probably be my last GPU in my life dependant on how intel graphics evolve and I stop gaming anyway in a few years :)

17. Snajlen

Snajlen Guest

GPU:
    Rog Strix 1080ti
    Crysis 2 in my opinion was a fail.
    Crysis 1 with EQM and bunch of tweaks looks much more better. and that was dx9 "dx10 was just a config tweak" check round and you will see.
    Even the cryengine 3 editor is more limited than the cryengine 2.
    the dx11 on crysis2 just look on yt or around the amount of tessellation for certain pieces is overexagerated. and totally useless.
    Real time reflection ?
    some games do exactly the same in Dx9.
    crysis 2 is out since for long. if you check crydev.net there are more and much more mods in developement with old ce2 than the ce3.
    another funny thing is that in Crysis 2 to have "Parallax occlusion mapping"
    you have to activate dx11 with dx11 card. on Crysis 1 parallax occlusion was avaiable for dx9 and 10 just like every other game.
    i've used both and i know what im talking about.
    battlefield 3 got some cool effects and motion blur "all avaiable in dx9" that makes the whole gameplay amazing. dx11 was not that much needed.
    metro2033 is just lol. tessellation on -50% framerate or more to see some items a bit more "bumpy" than usual.
    just check "real" comparisons about dx9/10 vs 11 features on the same game not that much changes.
    dx11 would be great if applyed in the right way and optimized.
    we got many many many dx11 cards and very few games.
    most of them not really that great.
    what i think is that 500/550€ for a dx11 card atm is not that needed. unless your old card is gone and you can afford that price.
    Well this is my opinion other can think something else. "it's not critic" it's just i dont see this "need" of the dx11 at least atm

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  18. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Why would you stop playing games?

19. bonob

bonob Master Guru

GPU:
    radeon hd 6970 2 go
    i agree with you dx11 features are not perfect, but i really love what dx11 bring in term of lighting effect, shadows and various lens effect, plus texture mapping and deep field effect look more reallistic, i relly see the difference between my old 4870 and the 6970. And i have better perf with one 6970 than with my 4870 cfx, for 290 euro buying my 6970 was a real bargain 6 month ago.

20. Snajlen

Snajlen Guest

GPU:
    Rog Strix 1080ti
    i agree about lighting and stuff.
    Depht of field for example , Unreal engine 3 got that feature as postprocessing effect even under dx9 and looks exactly the same as dx11. "with less performance impact" i see reason on switching between lets say. a 4870 to a 6970.
    but i dont see reason to switch from a gtx580 or 6970 to a 7970 or 50.
    we can still max out any game on market atm with 6950/70 unlocked or so.
    for example on my monitor. "kind of a wierd one" 23.5" 1280x1024 looks better than 1920x
    that allows me to play 1280x with antialiasing and everygame looks perfect. great light/shadows and kind of a blurry effect. 1920 is too bright.

DX11 still needs to be worked on to be effective
    240€ for a 6950 2gigs unlocked 6970. is a good bang for buck to max out everything.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012