Cant get SLI to work on two GTX460's, different Brands

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by deanryan, Jan 29, 2012.

1. deanryan

deanryan Member

GPU:
    MSI & Zotac GTX460 768mb
    Cant get SLI to work on two GTX460's, different Brands same model

I have a MSI & Zotac GTX460. They are both the same in every way, except, as you can see on the images, have a different device ID for some reason.

I suspect this is the reason why is cant get the SLI function in the Nvidia control panael, because i have tried all the usual methods to get it working.

I used NiBiTor to change the Zotac's device id to the same as the MSI, which it appears to do, but then when you view the device in windows, it does back to 0E24.

Am i barking up the right tree by tryying to do this ?. And if so how to you do it properly so it stays at 0E22, the same as the MSI card. Or is there any other way to make them work together ?.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  2. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    I wouldn't mess with the Device IDs.

It seems to me that there's something wrong with the installed drivers. If you take a look at the driver versions in the screenshots above, you'll notice that the Zotac card has a weird 'combined' driver version for nvlddmkm (8.17.12.7533 vs. ForceWare 290.53).
    Something is messed up there. I'd recommend using a driver cleaner and try again. EDIT: or try to uninstall both cards properly trough the Device manager (check 'show hidden devices').

3. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    It's not the device id's. My 580's have different id's and SLI is working fine here!

4. deanryan

deanryan Member

GPU:
    MSI & Zotac GTX460 768mb
    Ive already tried the driver cleaner program a few time. I suspect what you mention is a result of me messing about in an attempt to get it working. Ive got them on the same driver now but it makes no difference. Im sure its the device id thing.

5. deanryan

deanryan Member

GPU:
    MSI & Zotac GTX460 768mb
    Really ?. How bizarre, i was conviced this was the reason. I wonder what else it could be ?.

6. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    I just can't believe it's the device ID thing ;) Just google for that.
    Try reseating both cards. You are using a SLI connector?

7. deanryan

deanryan Member

GPU:
    MSI & Zotac GTX460 768mb
    Yes ive reseated the cards, swapped em round etc. They both work fine by themselves. Ive got the 2nd one doing physix at the moment. Ive got an sli connector yeah. Ive ordered another one off ebay, just in case its faulty.

Ive also just tried (on a spare hard drive), a clean version of windows, then installed the chipset drivers, and then the Nvidia drivers. The option still does not appear.

8. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Just put my money on the SLI connector :p

In the mean time, you could clean out the driver mess and uninstall all (hidden) Display Adapters from Device Manager. Your system recognizes flashed cards as new devices, so you will probably have more than 2 listed/installed right now (some may be hidden).
    1. Create a new system variable 'DEVMGR_SHOW_HIDDEN_DEVICES=1'.
    2. Reboot.
    3. Go to Device Manager and check 'show hidden devices'.
    4. How many (hidden) display adapters are listed now?
    5. Uninstall all listed Display Adapters. Standard VGA may be left there.
    6. Reboot and try installing drivers again ;)

9. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    If you still can't get it working then try flashing the same BIOS to both cards.

10. deanryan

deanryan Member

GPU:
    MSI & Zotac GTX460 768mb
    I tried that on the Zotac card, but it freaked out and crashed windows. I dont want to do it the other way round cause the MSI card is still under warranty. I also tried a bios from another Zotac card on the internet (with the correct device id), but it didnt like that either.

11. deanryan

deanryan Member

GPU:
    MSI & Zotac GTX460 768mb

That seemed like a good idea. There was loads of graphics card there, as well as loads of other stuff ive had over the years. Ive cleared them all out. But sadly it made no difference.

12. deanryan

deanryan Member

GPU:
    MSI & Zotac GTX460 768mb
    Ive also just tried (on a spare hard drive), a clean version of windows, then installed the chipset drivers, and then the Nvidia drivers. The option still does not appear.

13. vrt684

vrt684 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 660 SC
    my bet is on the SLI Bridge as well but you can still do the flashing method but make sure its for the brand of each card dont try and flash to a brand that is not that brand of card could still be fault within the bios of the card but mainly i think its the SLI Bridge

14. Mknopfler

Mknopfler New Member

GPU:
    SLI MSI GTX 460 Hawk 1gb
    Try disabling Realtek LAN in bios. If it works you should look for the latest Realtek drivers that fix the bug.

15. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    just for fun, run msi afterburner or a similar program and get the gpu clock rate the same?

16. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    The one time I was able to reboot and have the 290.53 drivers remain installed, I had no SLi option either. And that is with two identical cards.

Anything in the 285 branch and earlier, I do not have that problem.

17. deanryan

deanryan Member

GPU:
    MSI & Zotac GTX460 768mb
    Yeah i came across this suggestion before. I tried it but it didnt work. I'll see if the new SLI connector works which i have ordered.

18. deanryan

deanryan Member

GPU:
    MSI & Zotac GTX460 768mb
    Yeah, they are both running at 800mhz. In the screen shot above, i had them at their proper clock speeds for diagnostics.

19. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    To state the obvious do you even have SLI bridges connected?

20. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    I did not see you mention trying any drivers other than 290.53?