Hacker threatens to release Norton AV source code!

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Mufflore, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
  2. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    What does Wildlist Misses mean?

3. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    The Wildlist - viruses out in the wild

The WildList Organization collects monthly virus reports from anti-virus experts around the world. The data from the reports are compiled to produce The WildList - a list of those viruses currently spreading throughout a diverse user population. A virus that is reported by two or more of the WildList reporters will appear in the top-half of the list and is deemed to be 'In the Wild'.

In recent times, the list has been used by Virus Bulletin and other anti-virus product testers as the definitive guide to the viruses found in the real world.

An anti-virus product is expected to score 100% detection against this group of viruses.

And lol i use Norton IS 2012 ... :bang: Ow well better start looking for a new VS >_> .

Kaspersky = NO GO.
    G-DATA = HOG.

I hate the free stuff ..what now ?! Microsoft ? buwaha

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  4. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i tried every possible AV out there, honestly my absolute favorite is Avira Antivir, been using it for years, definitely the best "free" antivirus out there especially in terms of detection and protection.

only caveat is that it's a little slower than other antiviruses like Avg or Avast when you do a full scan, the protection module however does not impact performance, infact i keep it enabled even when i game, 0 problems and i love the interface too, simple and clean... and the AV is made in Germany :D HALT! Virusen Detecten, Hammer Time!

[​IMG]

if i had to pay then ESET is an excellent choice.

5. Bluedog

Bluedog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX TF 2GD5/OC
    ESET Nod32 has proven solid for me.

6. xtremegamer

xtremegamer Guest

Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 was best for me, Using since 2009 No problems, solid Protection One user ,One year License costs 12$ here..........

7. zhengzhoudave

zhengzhoudave Guest

GPU:
    4GB EVGA GTX680 FTW 2xSLI
    All anyone needs to do is

1) Download and install COMODO FIREWALL - The anti virus is getting better but still too new and lacks numbers of viral definitions, watch this space!

2) Download and install either AVIRA or AVAST for real time protection because they are both excellent and have years of experience/definitions!

3) Download and install CCLEANER, save your cookies to keep and run it every time you finish browsing

4) Download and install either SUPER ANTI SPYWARE or MALWAREBYTES for cleaning the crap that CCLEANER just can't get rid of! (run it every thirty days)!

These are ALL free and do not create a conflict! NUFF SAID - I THANK YOU! :)

EDIT: Also, use AD-BLOCKER for your browser!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  8. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    lol people still use antivirus programs ...

9. zhengzhoudave

zhengzhoudave Guest

GPU:
    I'm not sure what the networks are like in Serbia, but anti virus programs still work great in my part of the world!

What do you use anyway?

10. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    This ^

You guys are talking about 2003, 2004?

Hellooooo it's 2012 :stewpid:, you have no idea what you're talking about.
    It's just mindless Norton trolling. I'm expecting better from Guru3D 0o
    And if Norton has coded their software correctly, then releasing the source code wouldn't be a problem, but since noone has a clue about security in here it can only end in mass trolling.

I've been using Norton since forever and nowadays I don't even notice it's there until I try to download a malicious file or if someone tries to get into my computer.

11. HitokiriX

HitokiriX Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    Norton's had a bad rap for 8 years just because its had a complete rewrite in the past few years isn't going to change people's opinion of it over night, people will go on past experiences and what they trust and surprise surprise norton ain't one of them they have many bridges to mend before the tech community will trust them ever again

12. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    I simply use comodo internet security (AV included) and done, no hassle, sometimes i disable antivirus, and been years with only FW+Defense+, and it works great, my pc never had a virus for year (at least no virus reported by some full-scans i do with other antivirus from time to time) and only spycookies and such...

I dont think old code is much of a security issue, but it can help hackers to bypass their AV, for sure. Altho i doubt any1 will review 19312038218319321321 lines of code just to bypass it, i think its faster to bypass it as a black-box with try-and-error approach.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  13. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Pretty much only my central nervous system, for the last 4-5 years.

I mean seriously, what kind of garbage-ware you have to be installing, from what kind of sites, to actually get infected with a virus these days lol.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  14. zhengzhoudave

zhengzhoudave Guest

GPU:
    You make an interesting point - should system resources be spent on monitoring files that are almost always fine!

I respect that point of view! And to be honest the worst viruses I've had have been transferred to me from idiots who have heavily compromised systems, sigh.... Also, when it comes to fixing my computer after it's been attacked I usually have to roll up my sleeves and dive into all the files looking for the slippery little buggers and extracting them forcibly with my own bare hands! I've had to do a full wipe more than once or twice too!

So I sort of agree with you in that ALL anti viruses are a bit poor really and usually you have to get messy with your archive and registry to get anywhere!