USAF to deploy totaly autonomous drones

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by slckb0y, Jan 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slckb0y

slckb0y Banned

GPU:
    GV-N470SO-13I@900/2000 x3
    The Navy is testing an autonomous plane that will land on an aircraft carrier. The prospect of heavily armed aircraft screaming through the skies without direct human control is unnerving to many.

the new drone has no pilot anywhere, so it beg the question ; who's accountable?

[​IMG]
    The X-47B drone, above, marks a paradigm shift in warfare, one that is likely to have far-reaching consequences. With the drone’s ability to be flown autonomously by onboard computers, it could usher in an era when death and destruction can be dealt by machines operating semi-independently.
    The Navy's new drone being tested near Chesapeake Bay stretches the boundaries of technology: It's designed to land on the deck of an aircraft carrier, one of aviation's most difficult maneuvers.
    What's even more remarkable is that it will do that not only without a pilot in the cockpit, but without a pilot at all.
    (Chad Slattery, Northrop Grumman / January 25, 2012)

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-auto-drone-20120126,0,740306.story

(in 2005 remember Stealth was a Sci-Fi movie huh, so what's next, Terminator i guess ??)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  2. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    Robocop first, then many years later a terminator.

3. Quixz

Quixz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 3080TI
    I better start stocking up on supplies cause this wont end well.. :leave:

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    its v1.0 of the hunter killer.

5. Seref

Seref Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    Looks cool though.

6. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    only this word comes to my mind: Dangerous

7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Sigh....

X-47B is a computer-controlled unmanned aircraft system that takes off, flies a preprogrammed mission, then returns to base in response to mouse clicks from its mission operator. The mission operator monitors the X-47B air vehicle’s operation, but does not actively “fly” it via remote control as is the case for other unmanned systems currently in operation.
    Northrop Grumman’s UCAS-D joint industry team includes GKN Aerospace, Lockheed Martin, Pratt & Whitney, Eaton, General Electric, Hamilton Sundstrand, Dell, Honeywell, Goodrich, Moog, Wind River, Parker Aerospace and Rockwell Collins.

http://www.as.northropgrumman.com/products/nucasx47b/assets/X-47B_Navy_UCAS_FactSheet.pdf

8. nOv1c3

nOv1c3 Guest

GPU:
    2X VisionTek HD 4850
    The maned Aircraft we have today are out pacing the pilot ability to handle the maneuvers and G forces in combat , What you see here is the future , Its a damn sexy aircraft if you ask me :p

9. slckb0y

slckb0y Banned

GPU:
    wonder if you got the time to see how "sexy" it is when it come at mach 4 to blow the crap out of your village and familly ? who know, you may be able to tell us one day (or probably not)

10. nOv1c3

nOv1c3 Guest

GPU:
    2X VisionTek HD 4850
    Oh lord get a grip on reality :/

11. slckb0y

slckb0y Banned

GPU:
    you mean as long as it happen on the other side of the planet it isn't real ?

12. Seref

Seref Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    You can't admire design because its a weapon that can be used for ill? Good to know. I'll make sure to never be amazed at the design or craftsmanship of any weapon ever.

13. slckb0y

slckb0y Banned

GPU:
    for being a gun nutz i wouldn't even argue on that, i could admire the design like i would with a sport car, it indeed look neat.

but i only have one problem, this is not a weapon, this is not a sport car, because of one thing, you're NOT using it. so this thing is giving you 0 human feeling in any kind of way, and worst, it is a machine made solely to attack, not to defend.

i'm not sure getting rid of humans and feelings in wars is a good idea, cause who would want to stop it then ?

The Three Laws of Robotics
    1.A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
    2.A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
    3.A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.

Isaac Asimov

14. Seref

Seref Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    Except its not a robot. It's not AI. It responds to human input through mouseclicks on a map overlay instead of the more traditional UAV RC-style controls.

It's still a person pressing the "Launch Missile" button. It's still a person telling it where to fly. The only thing is that now they can plot a course rather that fly it via video camera.

15. slckb0y

slckb0y Banned

GPU:
    and next it'll decide itself if the glowing blob on his IR vision is a target or not ... ;)

[​IMG]

all i'm saying is before it took a real man to pull a trigger, now every coward could do a mouse clic on a map. IMHO every warriors would agree this is not a good thing.

16. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

You're making a distinction between pressing a button on a yoke to clicking a button on a mouse. Let me guess, you've never served in the military.

17. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Just so long as the USNAF uses only the best coders available to design, and produce, the software controlling this gizmo, it will probably work all right! ;)
    The last people they need as coders are the type who produce bloatware for Micro$haft! :)

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    lol slckb0y, you need to stop smoking what your smoking, someone is selling you bad gear that is making you confuse movies and internet fear mongering with reality.

19. proliferazor

proliferazor Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7950
    Just in time for Decemeber 2012, glad I bought a slingshot, I may need to fight in the wars.

20. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    That will never happen....trust me....

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.