Google announces privacy changes across products; users can’t opt out

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by slckb0y, Jan 25, 2012.

1. slckb0y

slckb0y Banned

GPU:
    GV-N470SO-13I@900/2000 x3
    Google will soon know far more about who you are and what you do on the Web.

The Web giant announced Tuesday that it plans to follow the activities of users across nearly all of its ubiquitous sites, including YouTube, Gmail and its leading search engine.

Google has already been collecting some of this information. But for the first time, it is combining data across its Web sites to stitch together a fuller portrait of users.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/google-tracks-consumers-across-products-users-cant-opt-out/2012/01/24/gIQArgJHOQ_story.html

(well, now they admit they're doing it at least i guess...)

2. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
  3. quaker3

quaker3 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6850HD
    so does google has offline files and cookies where it tracks you everywhere or just in search windows in youtube/google ?

4. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    I can see some of my addies being used merely as spam buckets, then! ;)

5. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Oh FFS, read the print:

So just sign out of your Gmail account when you browse Google and have a separate Google account for your Youtube if you want.

6. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    so they say...

scandoo is offline atm, not the best selling method :p

7. KCjoker

KCjoker Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    I dropped my youtube account once it got linked with google a while back. Guess I'll be using bing for all my searches now.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  8. slckb0y

slckb0y Banned

GPU:
    GV-N470SO-13I@900/2000 x3
    have you noticed how your google and MSN account are now "verified" using your cell/smartphone number ? ;)

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I doubt that, i've been using it for years and the only time anything was needed from my phone was when i got a cheap Android phone for the first time at the weekend.

None of this is of any concern to me, hardly likely when i choose to active things like Google Latitude.

10. GetMax

GetMax Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070
    If you ever wanted a big brother.. well say hello to google.

11. nOv1c3

nOv1c3 Guest

GPU:
    2X VisionTek HD 4850
    Allot of it is about Money . People that use there services are just making these people filthy rich

http://blogs.smartmoney.com/advice/2012/01/25/who-would-pay-5000-to-use-google-you/

But the other side is much more worrying . Dont forget google is in bed with the NSA and other government agencies and The Ceo's have made countless visits to the white house , Google has become just another arm of Big Brother

12. zhengzhoudave

zhengzhoudave Guest

GPU:
    4GB EVGA GTX680 FTW 2xSLI
    duckduckgo

13. GetMax

GetMax Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070
    Microsoft also uses NSA to secure windows but unlike google Microsoft actually give a F*** about your privacy.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  14. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    this, i loved my old youtube account, had loads of favourites on and i used to visit youtube quite alot.

then they enforce this syncing with your "google" account. Only reason why is so they can see what you are "into" and use it for further advertising.

I am really starting to dislike google these days.

15. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    I already work for the Government, I couldn't care less :p

16. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    LOL, I hear you :)

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Google are there to make money, that is their sole existence, so they try their best to find out what your into so they can throw ad's at you, and in return you get access to their services.

Seems like a pretty good deal to me, and if you don't like it stop using Google and YouTube, and get a BlackBerry or an iphone.

18. GetMax

GetMax Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070
    Google is actually pushing the limits for what privacy is all about. They want to know what everyone is up to. Do you really belive google is all about ads?

The goverment is probably already using google to find information about people and in the future they will use google to know more about you. There is actually a great article about privacy for people why usually say "I got nothing to hide"

http://chronicle.com/article/Why-Privacy-Matters-Even-if/127461/

19. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    I'm quite agree with this

Google never care about any of us personally
    They just need to show the right ads that suite your needs.
    If you happen to find things that you're looking for advertised on a page while browsing, without even typing keywords related to the stuffs, isn't that good?
    You get your product easily, advertiser gets a sale, google and and webmaster get a click, everybody happy.

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    You can even make money from it yourself, my younger brother was unemployed for a few weeks so spend time shoving crappy videos on YouTube.

Earlier today he got an e-mail saying £60 has been paid to him, not much, but free money in my opinion, and if you spend time on it, you can likely make more than that.