Apple tries to justify slave labor and why U.S won't get it's work.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Mkilbride, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/b...queezed-middle-class.html?_r=4&pagewanted=all

The workers work 35 hour shifts. Get paid 31 cents an hour, and sleep 8 to a room, are not allowed to talk to each other, and if they talk about improving work conditions, they are sent to jail.

Yeah...Americans can't match that...we know better. Only reason they can accept that over there is they need it to live...I feel bad for them, they have no choice, so it's hard to blame them. It's our faults really for constantly wanting more and more at cheaper prices.

Americans are willing to do hard work. My dad is 60, he's a steel worker, he goes and busts his ass 10-11 hours a day, 5 days a week, sometimes Saturdays as well. He's bruised and beat up, but he makes a good wage, so it's justified.

We'll work hard, as long as we get paid appropriately, treated as human beings, and have decent working conditions.

There is no way we could survive in the U.S on those kind of wages. Some of the employees there eat once a week if they're lucky.

2. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    doesnt really surprise me...to be honest...in fact..anything these days involving profit from a corporation..they are cutting corners everywhere these days...and someone has to pay for that...somewhere.

Look at your Iphone now after reading this...was it truely worth it?

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Without sounding uncaring, but this is just how things work.

If all work for US sold products was carried out in the US, then prices would shoot right up as you would be paying for their better working conditions, it would also do those other workers out of a job, or another company would just step in and use them.

4. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    I have a tough time believing working conditions are THAT bad.

5. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  6. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    high population + developing countries = this

better than sitting around doing nothing while asking for free handouts from the rest of the world

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
  8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The prices would skyrocket, people would bitch and moan....and either the companies would go bankrupt or we'd be right back where we're at...

9. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
  10. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    Wait, something doesn't seem right about the numbers, 8,000 workers, producing 10,000 iphones a day?
    That's just over 1 iphone per worker, per 24 hours of work. WTF? Sure he didn't mean 100,000 iphones? or 800 workers?

I know what you guys are thinking.. Why am i focused on this, and not the details about the working conditions etc, but this is just what surprised me. The other stuff i already knew.

And yes I'm upset with their working conditions and their poor wages.

11. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    so what? more power to them and thank god. otherwise we would not beable to afford the kind of higher end electronics with the features like we can now.

12. Death_Lord

Death_Lord Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 GTX 8GB
    Well, Apple is one of the companies that has the biggest benefits from their products, they should simply cut the benefits a bit and ensure that the workers from the fabs are getting paid properly.

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Which would mean lower profits or higher prices, which one do you think they would pick?

14. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    What about CPUs and GPUs we use? Are they made with labor like this?

Well, it's ultimately up to the governments of those countries to regulate such things. Apple and the others are simply taking advantage of it.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  15. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Try selling that to the shareholders. However, I agree. Corporations could do much more to improve the labour conditions of some of their suppliers.

16. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    if u guys wanna know more on this here is a link and a quote from my favorite book..the book is from an journalist and is legit...theres so much **** going on in this world u wont believe it..

Also, did u know that: Nestlé wants to totally privatize water ressources.
    its just so sad...

----------------------------

---------------------------------------

some more info on diff brands :

all true, u can digg it up urself..

i can just say, if u can read that book - DO IT....and tell ur friends about it...
    We dont have to live in such an world..its our world..so stand up..

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Apple's goal is maximum profit....minimum cost of production. Do you really think they honestly care about the working conditions of the Foxconn slaves?(Sorry, can't exactly call them employees based on their work conditions). As long as they're producing Apple's products for minimum cost...Apple doesn't care. Only reason Apple even responded is to keep shareholders and customers happy.

18. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    im amazed some of you are surprised by this. welcome to the way the modern world works. exploit people or lose your luxeries, it's the way it is.

19. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    just u know..the so called: the Fair Labour Association. is just an image..its not really actually doing something good...its all explained if u digg deeper..there are a lot of those , lets call them "Image polisher" in names that sound helpfull and good..but its all a publicity stunt, to make us customers think they care about all this...Profit, patents and controll is the only thing they care about.

20. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Companies don't exist to create jobs or worry about employees. They exist for the one reason, to make shareholders money. Employees are a side effect. and like any side effect, you try to minimize the impact to your profits. Poor working conditions are just yet another side effect to running a business.
    So the key is to figure out how to make more money from improving working conditions, but so long as there are people who will do it regardless then profits always wins.
    at some point, i suspect it will be more profitable to replace those workers with machines, but atm, its not, thats how cheap and efficient they work.