Can anyone recommend a 27" monitor?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by g-man.357, Jan 21, 2012.

1. g-man.357

g-man.357 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX Titan
    I am having some trouble finding a good 27 in monitor. Every time I read reviews I find enough wrong to not want to spend the money, but I am still set on buying one. I have very sensitive eyes when it comes to noticing visual imperfections, and I don't want to be distracted while I'm gaming.

The last two monitors I've owned were LG and they are the only ones without dead/stuck pixels, so I suppose I'm leaning in that direction, but I almost get the feeling from reading user reviews that everyone is having trouble making 27" monitors. Everything so far has had issues with blur or washed out colors.

The only connection I really need or want is DVI, so my only real concern is picture quality.

Anyone have luck with a good 27" gaming monitor?

2. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
  3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
  4. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    .... 3D LED Backlit. That first bit is probably the explanation for the $600 tag. So it's LED backlit, and 120hz. That's what you're paying for... and i'm sure it's quite the fantastic monitor.

And I wouldn't exactly complain about the price. If you're trying to find a 27" monitor for $200, i'd have to say A) Good luck, and B) The quality probably won't be there. Hell, i bought my current monitor quite some time ago.... think it's been at least 4-5 years. Think i might have paid $500. Gateway FHD2400 24" LCD. But the thing is, so far i haven't found a monitor i like more than this one. I'm probably going to make the jump and just say screw it and get a TV to use as my monitor soon.... but i'm probably still going to keep my monitor to use as a secondary.

5. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Someone needs to read up. It has TN response times with IPS quality. People compare it to Dell UltraSharp series for color accuracy & reproduction, and TN panels response time for gaming.

6. g-man.357

g-man.357 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX Titan
  7. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    LG doesn't make good TV's or Monitors. I recommend Dell, Samsung, ASUS, over LG.

Samsung has far better color quality...I think you've had bad luck or need your eyes checked. Some things aren't opinion, there is a very real color accuracy difference that can be measured with tools. :p

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I'd currently recommend the Asus VE278Q.

and if you can, connect using displayport.

Realistically speaking, its probably the best value & quality for money monitor at the moment, along with the VE258Q.

On the side note of TV's, Samsung, Toshiba, and Panasonic are good brand choices.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2012
  9. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    That Asus looks nice... but to be honest, i tried one of their 120hz 3D monitors, and was sorely unimpressed. Then again... who knows. Wish there was somewhere i could go to compare more monitors on a REALISTIC setting. Those monitors at Best Buy and such don't do them any justice, having a dozen monitors connected to a sh*tty signal.

10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Anyone who tells you a TN can compare to an IPS is insane. I'm not even going to get into details, you can look up reviews for yourself. I recently switched from an SP2309W, pretty much as nice as any TN gets, to a U2312HM... the difference between viewing angle and colour reproduction is stark. Sure the colour on TNs can be nice, but not accurate.

TNs are for the most paret 12/4 bit, as in 4 bits per colour. IPS panels are 6 to 10, with those using 6 having other tricks of course to get proper colour reproduction.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012

11. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    I think that all depends on the type of IPS panel used. I've heard there are some rather meh ones out there.

12. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
  13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Well, at $1000 (well, $999), you'd better hope that Apple monitor is okay!

Whilsts its true as a generalisation IPS is 'better' than 'TN', its not always the case is the IPS is a cheapy. It also depends on what you will be using the monitor for. Gaming is still better on a good TN, nice quick 2ms response time etc! Thats why I came to that choice of the VE278Q. Its a good quality monitor, LED backlit, has 2ms response time, decent enough colours for a TN, and at a very decent price! Like all monitors though, it does need a little play with the settings. Actually I prefer that than being 'good enough' out of the box, as it forces people to adjust the settings and get accustomed to the monitor controls ;).

So, despite the suggetions for IPS etc, and some very expensive monitors, I still stick with my original suggestion for the Asus VE278Q as a cost effective, quality monitor thats great for gaming.

14. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Dell U2711 @ 2560 x 1440. Awesome. About £500ish

15. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Guest

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    For over a year now I'm using HannsG HZ281 monitor. It is a budget 27.5" monitor, but it suits my needs. It has a TN screen, so viewing angles are not so good, but it is performing just like every other TN in that matter.

Plus side - it has DVI, HDMI and VGA ports with a handy way to switch between them, which is a great feature to me, as I use all 3 ports.

Another bonus is 1920x1200 res instead of normal FullHD.

http://www.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/hannsg-hz281-p8860/test.html

On this site you can also see the review of previously mentioned Asus VE278Q. Seems like a good value monitor with nice color representation:

http://us.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/asus-ve278q-p10118/test.html

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012

16. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    My vote goes to the 27inch Dell IPS,i have owned both 24 inch and 27 inch IPS both from Dell and i wouldnt touch a TN again tbh even if its a 120hz.Im currently waiting for a 27 inch 120hz IPS which Dell has said they are working on.

17. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Yeah, but the Dell UltraSharp IPS has noticable input lag in fast games. It has amazing picture quality, color accuracy, a truly great monitor for movies.

But for gaming, it's so-so. 120HZ isn't the reason that panel so so expensive. Read reviews, most people compare them to Dell's UltraSharp IPS in terms of color accuracy and picture quality.

18. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
  19. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    You forget about the amazing picture quality in games as well as colour accuracy,I get no input lag at all that i notice and i still pawn peeps at online games,the whole millisecond response time is bollocks tbh(it is milliseconds not seconds),it probably does help to a small degree but its not going to change your level of skill dramatically,i have owned both TN and IPS and i prefer IPS,I can see more because the colours a better and the screen is bigger.I also dont like 1080p i prefer 1200p or 1440p as you can see more,the best way to decide is to try both TN and IPS and choose for yourself.:)

20. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    There good monitors,had the pleasure of using a friends,i was going to buy one of these instead of the U2711,the reponse time does not really bother me but the response time on the apple is 12ms,thats double the response of the U2711.

I do think that the Apple monitor has even better colour than the U2711 though,everything is more defined and crispier but because im a gamer i went for the U2711,if the Millisecond times on the apple were the same as the U2711 i wouldve bought one as i think the have the best colours out of the 2 monitors.