So who uses a controller on BF3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Jae-So, Jan 21, 2012.

?

So what category fits you best?

1. No I don't like the controller

76 vote(s)
    70.4%
  2. I just use it for flying planes/driving

23 vote(s)
    21.3%
  3. Yes, I also enjoy BF3 PC (or other FPS games ) with a controller

9 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    First of all guys No flaming in this thread

UPDATE

Yeh eating humble pie, just went back to Mouse + KB and did fairly well, I'll admit it Mouse + KB = better
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Original post

So I' used to use a KB/M for PC shooters on BC2,MW3 etc. I'm not very good at these games so never did that well anyway. I got BF3 and continued to use the KB/M but 1 day invited my friends over for a game session. My mates persuaded me to connect my 360 controller and game using that so I did and I haven't gone back to the KB/M combo since.

Don't get me wrong guys I still suck but I seem to be playing a little better and the main thing is I just enjoy playing BF3 more now, I'm actually thinking bout going from my 22 inch monitor to a 40"+ TV so i can sit further back and relax while I play. I know it sounds crazy guys but I just seem to be enjoying the game a lot more now. What do you guys think anyone feel the same way? I will include a poll on this but I just wanted to have a civilised chat about it (so no "controller sucks you noob" type comments)........ Aaaaand GO! :)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    I can't play FPS's with controller.. it feels so unnatural..
    I tried to fly the jet / helicopter with the controller thou.. could get used to it, need to buy and try a joystick..

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've been playing BF3 single player with an Xbox 360 controller, which works fine except for the QTE bits not accepting the controller so I have to use the keyboard (I'm unsure whether this has been fixed yet in a recent patch as I haven't played the game in a while but I'm guessing not). I don't play multiplayer so the controller works perfectly fine for me (bar those QTE sections).

4. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    FPS's with controllers feel wrong. You can't aim accurate, and you have to move yourself instead of the crosshairs. Makes some tricky shots impossible.

Now your TV would be a fine choice, you can play with KB/M on it also if you want.

I got a new 50'' Plasma and hooked up my PC to it and it looked absolutely stunning! Just wish I could have kept my PC on it, but just the issues of space, angling, easier to jsut use my 24'' Monitor. Stuff was beautiful on it though.

5. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    Darren Hodgson; glad someone else games with the controller.

Miilbride; yeh I guess it can be harder to aim but I suck just as bad with the KB/M. Find it easier to do other things with the mouse and I just enjoy it more. I'll never be that good at PC shooters anyway so figured I'd play the way that's more fun

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  6. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    It's easier to aim with mouse but the keyboard kills the experience for me with a controller I can just chill on my bed and enjoy the game more

7. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    i play with a mouse and keyboard until i get in a vehicle. then i pick up my 360 controller.

8. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    Yup exactly how I feel bro

9. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Really? I find controllers kill any kind of immersion. Call me weird, but I find that the Keyboard & Mouse combo allows me to immerse myself incredibly. I feel like I have total control, like I'm actually controlling my own body.

10. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    I'm the opposite, for me it makes gaming feel like a chore so don't enjoy it. I kind of get what you mean though, I prefer to play RPGs with my KB/M, I simply couldn't get myself to play Deus Ex HR with a controller.

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Ill pass on the controllers. :puke2:

12. PR-0927

PR-0927 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+
    Yeah controllers kill immersion, aren't accurate at all, and are very limited in usefulness (few buttons).

I honestly hate them. KB&M FTW.

- PR-0927

13. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Would never use anything but a mouse for an fps.

14. nonymous666

nonymous666 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Founders
    I can't do FPS's with a controller. I think it's because I've gotten to used to keyboard & mouse.

I used to play lots shooters like the early Medal of Honor games and Syphon Filter on the original Playstation and had no issues with a controller back then. I had a ball of fun with those games.

But now that I've been PC gaming with the KB&M for so long, when I try to use a controller for a shooter, I just can't do it anymore. I have a 360, but when I've tried to play games like GOW on it, I completely and utterly suck; so I avoid FPSs on it. (*sigh*, before anybody gets pedantic on me, I know that GOW is 3rd person).

I've tried a controller in BF games for flying and it does seem easier than the KB&M. But I don't really like to fly in BF games (I feel like I'm missing out on all the action), so for the most part I never bother flying, and never bother with a controller when I do.

15. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I actually love to use the controller for anything that flies in-games as I haven't found a proper joystick yet. It's also great for any racing or 3rd person adventure game (like Assassin's Creed) but I could never use it for anything that has to do with shooting. I've tried it and it just feels wrong, lacks the precision and gives me a feeling of having my hands tied together behind my back.
    To make keyboard and mouse even more comfortable I'm using a Logitech G13 "gamepad" and a wireless mouse. Very ergonomic and just as precise as I'd want it to be.

16. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    That looks like a nice combo, still it would be a little difficult to kick back on my bed and play while laying down which a controller allows you to do

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I use to be mouse/kb only, but over the last few years work has had me at a desk nearly 100% of the time, so coming home and gaming on a mouse/kb has no become a complete chore.
    Stopped playing FPS's altogether for a while, then i finally adapted to using a controller.

Not that i always use one, most of the time i have a mouse/kb in front of me in-case i get annoyed with aiming on the pad, and would never dream of using one online, or even in a fast paced shooter, but the older i get the more i prefer more leisurely paced shooters anyway, so that has become less of a problem.

Jae-So, yeah the fact you can game on your back or on your side makes a controller very handy, if i spent 3-4 hours on a game after work, it would mean that i had spent 50% of the day behind a desk using a mouse/kb, which really wouldn't be healthy.

18. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    I actually do okay online, I seem to actually play better with the gamepad, actually had a few games with a positive KD and that is rare for me lol.

Hey guys anyone know of the Razer Nostromo and how easy it would be to game from my bed with one of those and a wireless mouse? I want to get one ready for Mass Effect. If I got used to it I'd probably switch back to the mouse and use that from my bed.

Yeh man and I'm starting a desk job early next month so really need an alternative lol

19. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    To be honest I don't use the keyboard and mouse for PC games unless there is no controller support at all. Since most PC games these days support the Xbox 360 controller "out of the box" so to speak then it is rare I actually use the mouse and keyboard except for non-gaming purposes.

20. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    Thinking about ways of getting back to the mouse, since I prefer RPGS with KB/M.

Radical_53 mentioned the Logitech G13 but I've also looked at the Razer Nostromo and the FragFX shark shown here: http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/reviews/62775/FragFX-Shark-360-Review

Can anyone lead me in the right direction?

I need to be able to use a thumb stick in my left hand for movement as that is the most important part of using a gamepad and would love to be able to use these from the comfort of my bed.

Any ideas, anyone use these?