Hacker threatens to release Norton AV source code!

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Mufflore, Jan 15, 2012.

1. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    That's what I figured, wasn't calling you out or anything was just curious

2. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    he should release it or stfu damn guy just wants attention

On the fact of bad uninstaller google norton removal tool best uninstaller for norton actually removes everything the regular installer leaves alot

3. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    AV? is for girls

4. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Well the problem is definately there. I have dozens and dozens of job sheets for it.

That's AV uninstall rule 101. Use the manufacturer's uninstall tool. Of course, the majority of computer users don't even know they exist.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Then there's something else causing it because I have "dozens and dozens" of trial keys registered with Norton from all my various installs and uninstalls. I find it hard to believe that I'm the only user that's never had an issue with uninstalling their software if there's such a wide spread problem....remember, I'm the one that got what appears to be the only GTX460 in existance that's designed to render 3D graphics while running at 2D clocks (of course, that's only true if you ask it's manufacturer).....lol....I'm also probably the only one in existance to get an Intel NIC that could fail in a manor that causes it to boot a computer a few seconds after it shuts down. If something stupid or weird can possibly happen....I'm usually it's target.

6. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    If it happened under every circumstance when removing then it would be a major fail. I'm not saying it's a major problem with their software, but it obviously happens under some circumstances as the jobs just keep coming. Like i say, i've had hundreds of "internet not working" jobs over the last year or so and a fair amount of them are due to the removal of Norton and subsequent issues there after. A few even with AVG leaving a filter installed, but Norton being the most troublesome.

Google "removed norton no internet". Plenty of results to go through.

7. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    To each their own really, there's many anti-malware solutions on the market. Just use whatever suits your needs. Each person and/or corporation would have different cyber security needs.

Remember, antiviruses are just one of many defenses that are deployed, especially in the corporate world to reduce the risk of having security threats getting to their data or otherwise reduce the productivity of a business.

deltatux

8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    While it really doesn't affect us here because I'm sure most of us here don't use Norton or would ever touch Norton, Norton is used daily by people everywhere. This is a huge security risk for anyone using Norton!

9. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I really don't see the point in paying for an anti-virus package these days when there are so many decent freebies around. I use Microsoft Security Essentials 4.0 (currently beta) myself and it is the best anti-virus I've used being completely unintrusive at all times but still managing to detect the odd virus I've inadvertently downloaded with NoDVD cracks (I buy the games honest but using them to avoid having to leave the discs in the drive).

I tried Norton several years ago and found it to be a very bloated and resource-hogging piece of software personally. Having to pay for yearly updates too just put me right off it.

10. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    whatever you say boss.

11. Cambria

Cambria Guest

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    Last time I used Norton was somewhere aruond 2003. And it was the worst program in the world. Not only did it poke its nose everywhere, I got tons of "viruses" and it would never take care of them. I would click on heal or whatever it was called and it would say "oh no sorry, cant do that. I only tell you if you have a virus I dont make them go away."

So I said eff this crap, got tired of re-installing windows so I moved over to AVG in 2003 or 2004 due to advice from a friend and have never looked back and never had a virus since.

So keep claiming that AVG is a spyware distributor. If it is, it does a very good job at not effecting Windows functionality at all or spying. So Id say no, they dont distribute spyware. Where is your proof to this claim that AVG did such a thing?

And the reason that free anti-virus programs like AVG are more successful than Norton is cuz that since its free, more people can use them and more people will resulting in a much larger data base of virus/malware information and it keep itself more up to date with whats out there than Norton can.

I will support AVG until the day I die for the stability it has given my computers that Norton never can.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  12. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    One word, clueless.

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Now now Gentlemen.

14. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Let's calm down now, no more warnings.

15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I also dont use paid AV.
    Basic security is Comodo Firewall, tweaked for very strong security and Avast, also tweaked to give much stronger protection.
    Its wise to increase the default security.

Comodo firewall is a great way to introduce yourself to proper controls, its an amazing firewall, even more so because its free.

16. Cambria

Cambria Guest

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    I just prefer not to have a program on my computer (Norton) that does nothing but waste space and resources and doesnt even do what its designed to do.

Where as AVG does, and does so using less resources mind you.

Im not the only person that knows that Norton is more of a scam than anything.

AVG, since it has been around, has gained alot more positive feedback than Norton ever has.

I suppose in the end it all depends on what your internet usage is like. I for one only go to this forum, Youtube, Facebook, my Mercedes-Benz forum, StageVu from time to time, maybe some game modding sites for GTA4, but other than that I dont do much on the web. I stay pretty clear from websites with illegal content so I suppose I dont have much of a risk of being infiltrated.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  17. GandraZz

GandraZz Guest

GPU:
    555m 2GB 665/1330 FHD
    Are any similar AV to kaspersky internet security but free?

Also looked at cost KIS on internet, lol what prices.
    Mine cost 16$ :nerd:

18. tr4l1975

tr4l1975 Guest

GPU:
    sapphire RX480 8GB OC
    No matter what AV is used, If the source code is hacked and it's released, it's just plain bad. Say for instance, you use one brand AV and say your financial institution uses the AV the code is released for, Now someone may have a way to attack your finances and personal information, which could leave you in quite a bind. Unfortunately, not everybody keeps up on tech news like we do and that in itself can leave us vunerable.

19. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    This...

regards,
    RagDoll.

20. Tranceholic

Tranceholic Banned

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 570 Fermi
    my free Comodo works fine :)