AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE Overclocking Help

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by ericplatt, Jan 12, 2012.

1. ericplatt

ericplatt Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 580 3GB
    I recently purchased a Corsair H80 cooler and I have been trying to overclock my 965. I've been trying for a few days to get a stable clock that I'm happy with but it hasn't been very successful. I've sort of run into 2 different problems. Before that, here are my specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (C3)
    ASUS M4A77T/USB3 Motherboard
    4GB Mushkin 4GB Corsair (not attempting to OC ram atm)
    OCZ 700W PSU
    EVGA GTX 580 3GB (stock)

Problem #1: Can't get over 3.7 GHz (stock 3.4)

I've been aiming for at least 4 GHz (seems to be quite easy for most people) but I can't seem to get over 3.7GHz. I've tried using the multiplier only method as well as adjusting the FSB without much success. I've also tried variations of Auto settings and manually configured settings for voltages, HT, etc. I can only get stable at 3.7 GHz with auto-voltage (which goes to around 1.48V). Just to clarify - when I say stable I'm saying that it has passed over 10 hours on prime95 without errors. Anything over 3.7GHz instant BSOD when I start prime. Pieces of information about my OC attempts so far:
    - 3.7GHz, auto-voltage, auto HT ran prime95 for 10 hours and reached a max temperature of 51 degrees Celsius
    - Auto-voltage for the above configuration was set to about 1.48V (most reported configurations suggest that 4.2GHz can be achieved with 1.425V)
    - 3.8GHz to 4.1GHz will usually boot, but will BSOD almost instantly on prime
    - 4.2GHz+ will typically BSOD at the login screen, or prior to it

Problem #2: Input stutter/delay after overclocking (even on stable 3.7GHz)

The other problem (which is just as frustrating) is that I now experience a slight input stutter/delay on my USB peripherals (mostly my keyboard). I'm not sure how to accurately describe what I mean - so the best way I can explain it is imagine you were to hold down a key (let's say 'a') - you'd end up with a set of repeating a's right? As the a's are repeating across your input field, they would be doing so in a consistent and fluid manner - however, in my case it has stutters. The flow of constant letters is interrupted briefly, and then continues (and then repeats). While this doesn't say that bad - it is ridiculous in a game such as BF3. If you need any clarification as to what I mean by this let me know - I have no idea if that makes any sense to anyone else.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read through my post - if anyone requires additional information or has any comments please do so!

Eric

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    What BSOD code do you get when you try over 3.7ghz?
    1.48volts you should easily pass 4ghz...

Also, could you try removing that GTX 580 and use a lower powered GPU and see if you can overclock any better?

Your power supply quite frankly is weak... 700watt, 4 12v rails each 18amps. a total of 525watts on all rails combined. here's the bad part, that psu came out August of 2006... 6 year old power supply right there. i doubt its even a 600watt now.

Also, maybe you could try running PSU tester built in the OCCT and see if it worsens your Problem number 2

3. loomx

loomx Member

GPU:
    2x Club3D 7970 RoyalQueen
    I was trying to overclock mine yesterday along with my graphics card.

I could only get stable at 3.7ghz with Prime95 including overvolting, and I managed to get to 995mhz and 1435mhz on my 6970 with a little overvolt.

Do you think I would improve on this if I was to change my powersupply. Its quite a old one now and not exactly the best make (Xilence Gaming Edition 750watt)

4. ericplatt

ericplatt Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 580 3GB
    Thank you for the reply Agent, here is the event log from the BSOD:

Event ID 1001 (BugCheck):
    The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000124 (0x0000000000000000, 0xfffffa8007bc1028, 0x00000000b202a000, 0x0000000000000175). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 011112-21668-01.

Event ID 18 (WHEA-Logger):
    A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
    Error Source: Machine Check Exception
    Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
    Processor ID: 3

That's a very good point.. I have access to a GTX260 but not at the moment.. I can try this later and post the results. The PSU statement is very interesting - and makes a lot of sense haha. Didn't even realise how old this PSU is.. I might be able to convince a friend to let me try their PSU for a bit - I guess an OC'd 965 and a GTX580 is a little power intensive ^^.

I haven't tried the OCCT test yes, mainly because if my PSU blows up it will be a pain in the ass for me to go get a new one until the weekend.

Back to problem #2.. do you think anything else could cause this? I originally thought that maybe 2000MHz was low for my HT link so I tried upping that to 2400MHz but it didn't change anything. If a PSU is the culprit for both my problems I would LOVE a new modular PSU - but is there anything else that might cause this?

Thank you so much again for your reply!

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Since you have machine check exception bsod i am going to say im pretty positive its your powersupply. Change that and it should solve your problems

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    4063 MHz stable

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Enable CPU LLC...and leave HT link at 2000 (but cpu/nb at 2400 is fine).

Btw 1.48v is a awful lot of vcore for a 300mhz OC...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    If no amount of voltage helps you oc, then getting a new psu might help. I noticed its a no-name brand, and is marketed towards gamers; safe to say based on what i think and the several reviews ive seen, is that its crap

If either of you need help picking out a psu ill be glad to help.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    My 955 does 4.2Ghz at just 1.35v...it really goes to show how much overclocks can vary from one chip/stepping to the next...

Still, I thought most P2's could obtain 3.7 easily.

10. ericplatt

ericplatt Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 580 3GB
    Yeah.. 1.48V is a bit ridiculous, but that's the only thing that was stable.

Question though.. if my PSU is failing (or is ****) wouldn't raising the voltage higher make it even more unstable? Wouldn't the PSU be better off with a lower voltage such as 1.425V? Seems to be the opposite in my case.. then again if I set a manual voltage to 1.48V it craps out also.

might go for for this: http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=28797&vpn=CMPSU-1000HX&manufacture=Corsair&promoid=1065

But would a ****-PSU account for my problem #2? I suppose that it could, but I'm just trying to understand how.

Thanks so much so far guys!

11. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060 laptop
    Interesting reading about the psu's. So how long does one live for then? And is it all relative to the price, .cos a decent one aint cheap.

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Well yeah a dodgy/fully loaded PSU can (indirectly) make your vcore unstable.
    But before you go out and buy a new one, check the bios settings just in case...you'd hate to spend money unnecessarily.

I happen to have a mobo with more or less the same bios as you, so I can help you choose the best OC settings...

13. ericplatt

ericplatt Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 580 3GB
    Fair enough!

I think that would be extremely helpful! very similar setups so that would be fantastic. Right now all I have is everything auto with 18.5x multiplier as my 'stable' configuration. I'm not at home at the moment but I think I had 2400MHz HT link also.

Thanks!

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Depends a lot on the quality and also what kind of life they've had - more available power means less work for the PSU.

4-5yrs is normal for higher end systems from what I've seen, but they can last a lot longer - especially in systems that don't do anything else but surf the net...8yrs is not uncommon.

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    But it is not a high quality PSU. Its a cheap no name brand with bad reviews, the voltage regulation goes out of spec on the 12v rail, im guessing this is one reason he cant oc. and very true, high end psus like corsair, seasonic, cwt, etc will last a long time.

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Um, my comment had nothing to do with any specific PSU, I was answering this question:
    I mean yeah ofc crap units can die within months....

17. OneMustFall

OneMustFall Guest

GPU:
    PNY gtx 460 1gig
    I might try over clock mine just to see....

CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 965
    Cores 4
    Threads 4
    Name AMD Phenom II X4 965
    Code Name Deneb
    Package Socket AM3 (938)
    Technology 45nm
    Specification AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor
    Family F
    Extended Family 10
    Model 4
    Extended Model 4
    Stepping 3
    Revision RB-C3
    Instructions MMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4A, AMD 64
    Virtualization Supported, Enabled
    Hyperthreading Not supported
    Fan Speed 1875 RPM
    Bus Speed 200.9 MHz
    Rated Bus Speed 2009.0 MHz
    Stock Bus Speed 200 MHz
    Caches
    L1 Data Cache Size 4 x 64 KBytes
    L1 Instructions Cache Size 4 x 64 KBytes
    L2 Unified Cache Size 4 x 512 KBytes
    L3 Unified Cache Size 6144 KBytes
    Core 0
    Core Speed 4017.9 MHz
    Multiplier x 20.0
    Bus Speed 200.9 MHz
    Thread 1
    APIC ID 0
    Core 1
    Core Speed 4017.9 MHz
    Multiplier x 20.0
    Bus Speed 200.9 MHz
    Thread 1
    APIC ID 1
    Core 2
    Core Speed 4017.9 MHz
    Multiplier x 20.0
    Bus Speed 200.9 MHz
    Thread 1
    APIC ID 2
    Core 3
    Core Speed 4017.9 MHz
    Multiplier x 20.0
    Bus Speed 200.9 MHz
    Thread 1
    APIC ID 3

I raised the multiplyer and seems stable temps are good will run a few games to see.

18. ericplatt

ericplatt Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 580 3GB
    Sorry for the delayed update here - but I purchased a Corsair 750AX Gold PSU and hooked it all up moments ago. I tried with 4.0GHz, 20x multiplier and auto voltage - but it instant bluescreened on prime95 again. The PSU was on its way out anyway so I'm not too concerned about whether or not it was the problem (or part of the problem).

When I was booted with 4.0GHz (HT link 2400MHz) I felt that my problem 2 had gone away (or HEAVILY reduced), but then I bluescreened on prime. To eliminate other options I removed the HT OC and booted in with 3.8 GHz 19x. I haven't tried to prime95 it yet, I will after I finish this message. The problem number 2 is present with the current configuration.

I noticed something odd yesterday, and with all of this talk about PSU it just sealed the deal for me. But even with the new PSU I still have these bizarre readings for my 5v and 12v..

[​IMG]

This doesn't strike me as normal so.. Does this also mean that my CPU is defective?

Thanks guys

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Nah those numbers are way off. Try AIDA64 instead. Even if the overclock fails P95 that doesn't mean it will fail in every app.

I rarely use Prime or Linpack etc to test my overclock settings. Usually if it's stable enough to run a game like BF3 that's good enough for me...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  20. ericplatt

ericplatt Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 580 3GB
    Good call on that, AIDA64 reads the +5V as 4.979V - so that's good. I'm assuming the 12V will be better as well but there is a [TRIAL VERSION] message blocking that specific value..

OK, so now I'm completely confused..