Nvidia AA guide

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by GanjaStar, Jan 16, 2011.

1. AdamK47

AdamK47 Banned

GPU:
    Verite V1000 & Voodoo 4MB
    What shadow problem are you talking about? What mission/area has the shadow problem? I've played through the game for a few hours and haven't noticed any. The shadows look the same as when no forced AA is used. I use 0x00401045 for 2X MSAA and 2X TrSSAA with SLI AA enabled. This makes it roughly 6X SLI AA and 4X SLI TrSSAA with 3-way GTX 580s. SSAO is also off in game and forced through the driver at High Quality using the Skyrim flag. I'm not using the 60 FPS hack and it seems the developer based the hack off of a pirated/cracked Steam copy. I have the retail DVD version.

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    This is the post I was referring to: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4175063&postcount=1002

I can't remember which case it was but it was one where you park the car and enter a garage to the left to look for clues. There is severe shadow glitching in this area but only there. Spin the camera around on the spot and shadows act as if the sun is moving quickly across the sky. It disappears when you step out onto the streets! It may well have been fixed in a later patch, though unlikely as it's an issue that only crops up when forcing AA with the 0x00411245 flag. This issue doesn't occur if you use 0x004010C0, which was the setting I was using myself.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  3. AdamK47

AdamK47 Banned

GPU:
    Verite V1000 & Voodoo 4MB
    Have you tried the game without forced AA? 0x004010C0 actually changes how the shadows are rendered compared to no forced AA or 0x00411245. Judging by post #1055, it could be that the problem you see happens without AA. It's just that you may not know.

4. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yes, I did try the game without forced AA and that shadow glitch doesn't happen in that part of that case if I don't force it. It doesn't happen if I use the 0x004010C0 flag either which suggests the issue is caused by the 0x00411245 flag as originally discovered by utillizer in post #1002. As I said earlier there is no 'perfect' AA flag for this game, each one has its own set of compromises unfortunately.

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Downsampling is very wasteful on memory though and can result in lower framerates than just forcing AA via a compatibility flag if you lack sufficient video RAM on your graphics card. It can also distort text and HUD elements in the same way that brute-forcing FXAA does, though without the blurring.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I post specific game AA screenies, and you respond with general notion...:rolleyes:

Besides, in what game have you actually witnessed underlined part?

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - I tried downsampling with that and while it worked the framerate was a little erratic due to the higher memory usage, the text and HUD were definitely distorted and, to top it all, jaggies were still noticeable anyway on the cars. The best anti-aliasing comes from actually applying it during the rendering stage as it targets polygon edges properly. FXAA/SMAA are applied after the rendering so don't reduce jaggies quite as effectively in my experience and downsampling also works best in conjunction with some kind of anti-aliasing as well unless you render at extremely high-resolutions (again, not always practical if you only have 1 or 1.5 GB of video memory).

I wasn't saying not to use it anyway, just pointing out that like any method of forcing AA in otherwise unsupported games, downsampling comes with its own share of issues.

Regarding those L.A. Noire screenshots. Downsampling without AA looks pretty ugly IMO, there's still jaggies on the cars for example, and it's only when you use it in conjunction with SMAA as well that the game actually looks decent. But how about comparing that with no downsampling and just SMAA? Seems to me that SMAA is doing most of the good work from those two shots: note the jaggies on the wall to the left with downsampling + no AA which are smoothed out in the downsampling + SMAA shot.

Please don't take my comments to heart, I'm merely stating my opinion, that's all. If you and others like it then that's great. :)

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i also had distorted text. tried l4d games and skyrim.

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Ofc SMAA does the job. I'm not using it for the heck of it.
    But so does the downsampling. SMAA alone... try it, but for me it wasn't satisfactory.

I was not aware that DS can distort UI tbh.

Just tested Skyrim, and UI is moved horizontally ~5mm to the center, but otherwise font and UI look identical to normal resolution.

11. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    what resolution is it set for you ? i tried 23** x **** 16:10 res.

12. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    3200x1800. My monitor is 1920x1080

[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    wow thats huge. i coudnt go that far ;(

14. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Well I'm not using it anymore for Skyrim. Took 8xCSAA + 2xTrSS instead, and dont have the oomph for both :p

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I find downsampling can make the fonts/text look a bit "wonky" and ugly, like MLAA does too, but it very much depends on the type used. Big chunky ones such as Dead Space work better than thin and/or italicised ones for example. The distortion can only be slight but I find it noticeable.

By the way, when I said HUDs, I meant the HUD elements themselves (i.e. any text or other thinnish items on them), which can be distorted like the fonts for subtitles etc. I've never noticed the HUD moving or anything like that personally.

16. otreblA

otreblA New Member

GPU:
    Palit 4070
  17. sparrow1911

sparrow1911 Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 750 Ti 2GB
    Anyone can help with Resident Evil 4? Can't find a flag for it...

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Have you tried using the Override flag and just forcing it through the control panel?

I'm pretty sure that when I had it I was able to use anti-aliasing that way but because the game was such a poor port I didn't keep it for very long.

19. Guzz

Guzz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Resident Evil 4 does not require any bits.
    [​IMG]

noAA:
    [​IMG]

8xMSAA+8xTrSSAA:
    [​IMG]

20. sparrow1911

sparrow1911 Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 750 Ti 2GB
    Guzz
    Thank you very much!