How many times do you format your OS?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Virtue, Dec 30, 2011.

?

How many times do you format your OS?

1. Every 2 years or more

45 vote(s)
    44.6%
  2. Every year

22 vote(s)
    21.8%
  3. Twice a year

14 vote(s)
    13.9%
  4. More than twice a year

20 vote(s)
    19.8%
  1. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Once per year usually..

2. phatbx133

phatbx133 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT black
    Same here.:pc1:

3. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    I picked up this drive about a month ago and have an average of 21GB\day (due to re-installs and SEs, no write tests were performed on it). Now that the drive is configured exactly the way I want it and I have the backup image created; the writes per day are under a GB with high usage.

I do use a ram disk for my Firefox profile and Temp folders to save writes and also for a small but noticeable bump in performance. I also redirect my Download folder to my storage HD, but everything else is on the SSD.

All in all, I’m very pleased with this SF based SSD. If it wears out tomorrow I’ll pick up a new one before this one is shipped for RMA and just restore the image.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Here's my year old Vertex 2 after about 6 or so reformats (was used in previous PC). I always just wiped clean, never used an image.

[​IMG]

5. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    about that program, the "lifetime writes/reads from" count its only for SSD's? i would like to know those numbers in my HHD's

6. OneMustFall

OneMustFall Guest

GPU:
    PNY gtx 460 1gig
    Every 2 years or more

7. Cambria

Cambria Guest

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    Why format an SSD more frequently with the limited number of writes that would only shorten the life of it everytime you re-formatted it.

8. Cambria

Cambria Guest

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    I have a 1998 Sony Vaio laptop that has been running the same Windows XP Home install since 2002 :) .

Reformatting drives should really only be done if theres a problem with the operating system. Its a huge drain on the drives to do that and with little gain and ALOT of work to get the system back to where it was before. Why put yourselves through that more than once a year? I only do it when either Iv had an unrecoverable error with OS or when a new Windows has been released. Although looking at Windows 8, I think Ill stay with 7 for the rest of my life if computers are moving to tablet form.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  9. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified

Not necessarily... formatting has it’s time and place and should be done when appropriate.

Depending on your experience, it’s not “ALOT” of work to get it back up running and 99.9% of the time it will work much better if you were having problems that you weren’t able to resolve otherwise.

10. Cambria

Cambria Guest

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    Its rather time consuming if you had a perfectly good setup before. And thats what I said, if theres an unrecoverable error. However the system running "slow" should not be an excuse for a format. "Slow" running operating systems usually just need the registry cleaned up. The registry tends to get alot of bad files in it after time.

11. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I reformat for most any reason i see fit. Sometimes from boredom or to try something new.
    I usually use RT7lite to customize my iso which i sometimes redo once in a while. But even Win7 still slows down over time no matter what utility you use to clean it up. Sometimes oddball things happen, like suddenly WMP may not function and can't find a cause (happened to me once) but seems any particular issue is always something different and happens eventually.

But what i do is keep copies of all my installer apps and games on a seperate drive, i make sure their updated to latest version before i reformat, that way the installer is right there, updated and ready to go. i use apps that don't require a lot of customizing, many of which are "portable apps" already configured, i just copy n paste :). Theres virtually nothing on my main C: drive except Windows itself and whatever apps i chose to install. I can use a USB and install windows and be where i want in less than 2 hrs. Or i use my Acronis Image and be back to new install with Windows configed how i want it in about 5 minutes. just depends on my mood mostly and most of that time is spent just configuring looks and feel to how i want.

My wifes laptop needs a reformat bad. i did all i could to get it back to speed but its still not as smooth as a fresh install. Her printer driver for some reason no longer functions, her internet gets slow for no reason, yet is fine for everyone else...that kind of crap. things that probably could be fixed if i tried, but its sooo much faster and easier to just back up and reformat. Stepson's lappy was real bad...i never saw so many toolbar's in all my life.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  12. Bluedog

Bluedog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX TF 2GD5/OC
    Kinda funny but haven't had a need to reinstall my Vista X86 build since 2008. With XP it was about every 8 months.

13. djjonastybe

djjonastybe Master Guru

GPU:
    HD6950(70) 885/1350
    I actually do this every month :p Maybe I got some scared-from-bloat-junk disease in Windows :D

14. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    I personally had no problems with Vista 64 but since 7 was a little better I went to install that and the fact that I went from a P35 chipset to X58. When I got new harddrives I reinstalled, later on when I got SSD I reinstalled. So it depends, usually I could go for a year or more without reinstallations but it depends if I need it. Like installing new video card I wouldn't need to but if its like a new chipset or swapping out my OS drive then yeah I'll need to.

15. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I never reformat now.
    I restore a backup (made monthly) if something goes wrong.
    Quick and easy.

17. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    If I need to reformat I will, such as when I do a big hardware change, or if something's not working the way it should, as recently I had an issue where internet based installers weren't running correctly, and my sound wasn't working, and I couldn't reinstall the drivers as the internet wasn't bring up any solutions to getting the installers to work (even re-downloading IF they had corrupted, which wasn't the issue because they worked correctly after a reinstall of Windows).

18. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Only reformat when i do a major upgrade like a mobo change or cpu change or both.

19. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    once every 6mos to keep it running optimally...defrags once a week..full AV scans every 3-4 days...and a prostitute in a pear tree :)

20. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i'm reformatting now. well preparing to that is. mostly cause i have some Mpeg 2 issues i can't resolve. namely being i get errors saying it doesnt exist. lol, like how the hell does crap like this happen anyway? stupid windows. i wish they would ditch the stupid registry and winsxs and other ancient crap.