Radeon HD 7970 at 1278 MHz with Software Voltage Guru3D

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Thanks for that,ill go read up on it,haha funny you mentioned ocuk as they were th first people i thought of that would challenge it,worst bunch of ****s on the whole world wide web.

I still dont know wether im gonna take alook at one i mean i know my 295s are old but the performance that i get from them is awesome and i can run anything pretty much at max with good fps which to me is a constant 60fps:)

Oh yeah i kinda like my nvidia cards,i think if it wasnt for the 295s doing me justice then i probably would try the ATI card however I think what the Kepler and 79xx series needs is a killer app to make us want more.

You know like a Crysis or FarCry app of today. Something that couldnt be possible on consoles and could only be done on a DX11 rig. Right now all AMD and NV are doing is pushing 3D gaming and trying to sell us more monitors to off-set the performance benefits. For most of us unfortunately it isn't working.

Physx is hit or miss. I dont know any titles offhand that use OpenCL, and Bullet Physics is no where to be found. So for us gamers who dont need 3D or two extra monitors wheres the benefit? DX11 has been out since 2009 yet there are no games that change the landscape. BF3 doesnt make the cut.

The bottom line is software sells hardware! Always has and always will. If NV and AMD want us to buy these new expensive and shiny graphics cards I would suggest they work even harder with game developers than what they have in the past. The PC landscape hasn't been the same since the 90s. Something needs to change for the better.

I think ill wait even though it seems like im waiting forever since the dreadful 590 which i was hoping to buy 2 of.
    Thanks again Kevster for the info.

2. slice259

slice259 Guest

So you don't know OEM voltage ??:rolleyes:... ill take that as a no. For all I know the OEM VRAM voltage is 1.75v all the time. So ill say it slower this time, what is the OEM vram voltage. :)

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Nope, take it as I don't want to discuss anything with teenager misunderstanding "NO" answer. Find someone else to discuss ASUS GPU Tweak "advantages" with and stop eating my time.

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    That is kinda how i feel, i was all for getting a 7970 as i'm a big kid, and i love a new toy to mess with, but for the price i wasn't sure i was going to get enough of a performance leap over my GTX570 considering the money i would have to spend.

It looks like a big leap on paper when you put it into % etc...but in reality it would only be 2-3 games i would notice it in.
    Veteran, in BF3's defence it did use DX11 for performance and quality, something more games should do.

I mentioned this in another thread, but i would like to see something like the DX11 Unreal Good Samaritan video before i spend something like $600 on a GPU.
    The only graphic heavy game coming up is Metro Last Light, but if the graphics/performance ratio is anything like the original game, i might want to stay away from it.

5. slice259

slice259 Guest

So I can walk away from this " Conversation " knowing you don't have a clue what you are talking about ! :)

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Not only are you new here, and as usual causing trouble, like so so many new members, but you also clearly don't know who you are arguing with.

Unwinder might not be the most patient person ever, but anyone with half a brain understands he knows what he is talking about.

7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Bye !

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  9. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1662199&page=4

I think this is what he was talking about. But we need to clear up some things first. With "reference" designs they usually dont have control of memory voltage with the lack of "MVDC voltage regulators" as Unwinder mentioned which is true. Though with the release of the 7k series they did say they will release the cards as non-reference so the OEMs can do what they want with the cards without having to be reference. The Sapphire HD7970 does look like reference but doesn't bare the AMD logo on the PCB so whether or not they have it we don't know unless someone can check or ask the guy who owns it. As for flashing the bios to Asus to enable memory voltage change, I'm not sure if it actually helped or not.

So I can see where Unwinder is coming from and he does make a valid point but I think both of you aren't on the same page and you're also coming off as pushing all these things in front of him based on some forum post as for Unwinder he does know what hes talking about because he did create the program so theres no really point in arguing. Based on how you replied to his post you're pretty much not listening to what he said and to top it off you claim that he doesn't know what hes talking about. Just by those remarks you're going to be putting fuel to the fire, not just to Unwinder but to everyone else.

10. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    What you think i want these cards ?? NO WAY i have been fooled too many times on amd top cards it will happen never again :)
    dont care how many records they set they are short lived and will be beat by either amd's refresh or nv cards in a few months(plus i dont have 3 or more monitors)
    I hope for the lack of bsod for the buyers this round :wanker:

lol at the kid who told alex he knows nothing about voltage..That pissed me off too cus alex rarely goes out of the ab section these days.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012

11. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    lol fair enough.

12. RossCorp

RossCorp Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570GTX SLI
    Oh how I wish I had a crystal ball to see what nvidia is going to bring to the table. If I knew it wasn't going to be great I'd buy a 7970 right now! Just going to have to keep waiting I guess...

And to Unwinder, keep up the great work man, and thanks for putting up with all the, ummm, "slower" people of the world! :)

13. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I really want to wait to see what Nvidia has up it's sleeve, but im getting the tweaking bug from this new AMD chip... arghh!

14. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    The small percentage that i had of trying out a 7970 has been squashed by your statement.

Even though i would still like to try one...patience is a virtue:)

15. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Dont let me scare you vet
    it wont take long to see customers results soon and since every1 has said they will have lots and lots of cards avalible whats the rush to be the first person to buy one?

16. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    It's all good to have a beast of a gpu, but in the end it's the drivers that matter.

17. Aint nothin wrong with amds drivers with regard to single gpus man, no worse than nvidia.

18. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    True that.

19. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    right...

also,
    owning an Nvidia card is no guarantee you won't get screwed by AMD drivers

(Rage patch and it's delay till AMD makes a decent driver)

20. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    they're crap