Driver install blew my system?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Inspector999, Dec 30, 2011.

1. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
    after installing this driver i was getting alot of BSODs, and i already mentioned this here at guru3d before. I am using 3 part rams on 3 slots, 2x1gb 800mhz Geil rams and 2gb 800 crucial balistics (same volt) (normaly 2x2 but 1 is dead). After alot of tests, i found that when i use this driver, i cant use my 2x1 800mhz Geil rams + 2gb Crucial , i had to remove these 2x1 rams for pc work without BSODs. But with previous driver i can use all rams , no BSODs. I already checked my rams (over 5 6 hours tests) with memtest and Not a single error on them. This is the 1st nvidia driver i am getting such problems and i really cant find an answer about this situation. Maybe mainboard bios, maybe the ram usage method of gigabyte/bios with of different brand and amount of rams on slots. (gigabyte says something about these ram usage ... Using ***** ram method etc , not sure)

2. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    This is crazy. Are you sure you didnt accidently install ATI drivers by accident ? I can understand the fan having a mind of its own, which is why we use our fav app and control our GPU fan, I set it to 30 percent manual on desktop and 100 percent when gaming.

I really am shocked to hear about this whole thread, nVidia is rock solid when it comes to drivers, especially if they plug the 290.53. I mean its not like it was a driver from denmark a alpha beta ,, nVidia put it up on their site. How many people have nVidia cards... 30000000 people,,,, and for 1 person it blew up his poor GPU and lets hope it didnt blow up rest of your system.

What type of apps and drivers you have on the system. That Java Dev KIT I doubt has anything to do with ,, amping fan speed and a burn smell. this is a mystery still!!!

I mean if it was ATI CCC doing this, I would understand,, But NOT nVidia... weird.. God bless your video card and God Bless those that have blown up GPUs cuz of this driver install. gl

3. S†v0r

S†v0r Guest

GPU:
    570GTX 1.3Gb @900/2200mhz
    Yes i saw a couple of posts at nvidia forums.. It looks like this driver puts more pressure on your ram and mainboard NorthBridge or HT by AMD or QPI by i7..

If its too low or ram latencies too tight it can cause bsod's.

Btw what code did you get, 0x000000124?

4. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    that is unlucky and i hope you get it replaced, but it is BETA for a reason. :(

i cant speak as all mine are on BETA versions.

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Really? Wow, I have to admit that surprises me as I wouldn't think graphics card drivers could do that. Stress the graphics card and power supply yes (if the voltages are raised) but not other non-graphics components. That in itself is quite worrying because you wouldn't normally associate graphics drivers with killing PCs (well, those infamous fan-breaking drivers aside). :3eyes:

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    NVIDIA's WHQL releases are so infrequent though that if you only used those you'd be waiting months for them to support the latest games.

For example, the Skyrim performance optimisations are in the 290.53 betas and the game came out on 11th November 2011, almost two months ago. There haven't been any certified drivers in that time with those Skyrim fixes, possibly won't for another month. And I bet there'll be another beta driver in the meantime with further support and optimisations for other games. So basically if you want support for the latest games you really have to use the betas.

Also, being certified means diddly-squat anyway as they often have more bugs than the betas and the fan-breaking drivers I mentioned in my last post carried the WHQL certification!!! Yeah, Microsoft did a real fine job of testing those! ;)

7. Fox102383

Fox102383 Guest

Weird Crap going on! lol

Well i found out what happened the other day with my computer.My northbridge blew :eek:c:eek:n my motherboard,kinda threw me for loop!! Was working fine for a good while,guess it's time for a different mobo! lol:nerd:

8. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    this is no joke. i had to increase my ram voltage to 1.59v from default 1.5v to stabilize these drivers, and sometimes, aero still cuts out randomly, an app will black screen, or a game will hang. these drivers are ****ed.

9. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
    Thx StVor, 1st BSOD i got is here > http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4200666&postcount=125

and after that i got 3 or 4 different kind BSODs also (total 9-10 maybe more) , i checked my logs but couldnt find them now. I am using "WhoCrashed" program to monitor BSODs. I thought my mainboard was going down, but while i trying each ram 1 by 1 , i found this situation.

10. S†v0r

S†v0r Guest

GPU:
    here are all possible bsod so far
    http://www.overclock.net/t/940091/bsod-codes-when-ocing-must-have-info

that one by you appears to be

0x7E = Corrupted OS file, possibly from overclocking. Run sfc /scannow and chkdsk /r

or maybe reinstall the driver?

11. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
    i already did those all couple of times Stv0r, thx u so much. Great link also.thx

12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Ive been using nvidia for years and from my experience betas and quadros always work better than the whql's,its very rare i use a whql even if its the latest and greatest driver,they normally take a performance hit:)

13. Inspector999

Inspector999 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 1GB Sli
    It was the Motherboard

Hi All

Thanks for all of the replies - It was the motherboard that had blown. I have recieved a replacement today and have installed the latest beta drivers and so far all seems to be OK....... Fingers crossed but it seems like it was just a conicidence

I will let you know if I have any further issues

Thanks

14. xcaninox

xcaninox New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX480 800/3700@1.05
    the 290 series of drivers is really ****ing with me

im having BSODs, crashs 3 4 5 times on windows LOGON, super low FPS on games... im gonna roll back to 285 and see whats up

15. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Of course drivers have a mind of their own,, ATI AMD CCC Hell drivers that is.

nVidia is top notch drivers even in beta form.

Im shocked something like this would happen. I mean there could be reasons for it that are too technical for us u know. Im on the 290.53

I think what you messed up on is. YOU DONT HAVE TO UNINSTALL nVidia drivers anymore like u used to in control panel and the 3D Glasses audio etc etc.

Now ever since the 285.xx I believe their installation has changed,, You can keep your system as is and just download the driver and run the setup. and do a express setup. NOT A CLEAN INSTALL . WHen you do express it updates everything and its installed properly and your set. NO reason to uninstall in first place. :banana:

16. Stevebutabi

Stevebutabi Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 TUF OC
    Seek help.

17. eagled1

eagled1 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SLI 4GB
    They are BETA drivers.....you install at your own risk..

18. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    I can assure you the driver it's self is fine. I've been using it since day one of it's release with no issue.

That driver you are talking about if used a long period of time would have fried everybody's cards in the long run.

This case seems to be isolated, and as stated on Nvnews, seems to be a glitch with other software such as a specific version or versions of Java. There was also a Java release as of late that can completely cause your network to fubar. When I mean fubar, I mean throttle your speeds into almost half.

19. S†v0r

S†v0r Guest

GPU:
    Apparently this java thing and yes they do push your system components more. Especially older lga 775 sockets with their NorthBridge..

I noticed it too with all 4 memory banks in use, i had to raise tRFC from 85 to 90, ram voltage for +0.05v and NB voltage +0.025v compared to 290.36 or it would halt my system and bsod after some period in something like COD4 MP with a lot players 28+ TDM or DM..

One user at nvidia had to raise manual timing from 5-5-5-15 to 5-6-6-15 (lga 775), or TheElicT that had to remove extra ram (lga775)

Nehalem and Sandybridge shouldn't be affected, because of build-in memory controller, although __Hollywood|Meo mentioned he had to raise ram voltage too with this driver 290.53.

Im guessing nvidia tried to squeeze some extra performance out of pcix and ram bandwidth, but imo it can be too aggressive ;P

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  20. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Total coincidence... sorry to hear about your mainboard, though.. maybe time for Sandy Bridge now:nerd: