Nvidia AA guide

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by GanjaStar, Jan 16, 2011.

1. bloodindark

bloodindark Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 TI
    jesus upload a lower resolution picture,you're filling the entire screen with them

2. AdamK47

AdamK47 Banned

GPU:
    Verite V1000 & Voodoo 4MB
    You mean resize the images? That would negate the purpose of showing AA working.

3. pincopallino

pincopallino Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX670 DC II
    you can post thmbnails ...

4. eiren

eiren Active Member

GPU:
    GTX480 @ 890
    Thanks Adam, those shots look great. Thanks for sharing.

5. bloodindark

bloodindark Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 TI
    he said what i meant:)

6. bloodindark

bloodindark Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 TI
    anyway welcome to the club adam:p

7. AdamK47

AdamK47 Banned

GPU:
    I guess we should unsticky this thread or change ownership now.

8. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    Sry guys, I had no internet access for 8 months. Now I am way out of loop and would need to read every post in the thread for the past 10 months.

I just do not have time at the moment.

If someone actually is serious about updating the first post, then do so, and PM me the info. I will be glad to include it in the first post.

EDIT: if no one else does it I will try to use up my free time the upcoming weekend and see what I can do.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  9. wasteomind

wasteomind Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
    Did anyone find a working AA solution for NFS Hot Pursuit 2010? Sorry if it has been posted before, searching didn't work too well, only seems to bring up months old discussion about how it didn't work and was supposed to be patched.

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

11. AdamK47

AdamK47 Banned

GPU:
    Instead is using 0x000d02c4 for Mafia II, try 0x000012C1. It provides far better performance with less blurring when used with regular TrMSAA. You could also use TrSGSSAA, but the performance hit it pretty large and has substantial blurring. I use 0x000012C1 with 4X AA and TrMSAA and it provides far better performance and less blurring compared to using the 0x000d02c4 flag. TrSSAA doesn't seem to be doing anything, or it just isn't working as well as TrMSAA.

Update: 0x00000240 works as does 0x00483245. 0x00483245 doesn't stutter during cinematics with SGSSAA, if that's what you want to use.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  12. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ Member Guru

GPU:
    7950 crossfire
    This really does work very well but the performance hit is just massive.

13. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    anyone got an idea how to force AA in Rochard? Its an unity engine game..

nevermind, found it, ehhe

THX to Bloodindark...

bias = -0.5 * log2(samples)

2x SGSSAA: -0,5
    4x SGSSAA: -1,0
    8x SGSSAA: -1,5

really...someone needs to update the First post, argh...This list could be sooo great when everything would be in it :(

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  14. AdamK47

AdamK47 Banned

GPU:
    I've been playing with various AA settings in L.A. Noire more than I should have today. With 0x00411245 or 0x00401045 the shadows in the distance actually act as the game is designed. The 0x004000C1 and 0x004100C0 flags appear to trick the game into increasing the draw distance of the shadows and that's why shadows look better at a distance. The horrible side effect of 0x004000C1 and 0x004100C0 is that it does not allow the game to use its post process effects. This can easily be seen in the sky. The sky is supposed to be light blue with white fluffy clouds. It allows a halo/bloom effect around objects. With these flags the sky is dull and the clouds more grey. Not only that, but SSAO acts differently. In some cases it looks like it fixes some areas where SSAO wouldn't normally be applied without these flags.

With the 0x00411245 and 0x00401045 flags, the sky is drawn correctly and shadows are rendered at their game designed limit. The only thing that won't work correctly is the games built in SSAO. You may see splotches off in the distance. I have been able to use the Skyrim SSAO flag with high quality and it looks great. Just turn the in-game SSAO off when using it. Not the same as the games built in effect, but it's still better than nothing.

Another flag people can try is the From Dust flag. This allows SGSSAA with working sky, but has a massive performance hit. The SSAO bug still remains.

Hope this helps some people out there.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  15. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    That's actually an interesting post. I noticed the sky looked a little flat with the AA setting I'm using for 4xMSAA/4xSGSSAA, as if there was no HDR, but assumed that was just how the game was meant to be. I believe I'm using the 0x004100C0 flag.

So I should use 0x00411245 or 0x0401045 then? Not so bothered about SSAO.

16. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Yes, most definitely. So it basically says that if I want all the games "effects" I have to leave AA at the games' default (or use FXAA inject or something alike)?

17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The in-game AA for L.A. Noire is extremely poor though so unless you can live with jaggies then forced AA is an absolute must for this game.

18. AdamK47

AdamK47 Banned

GPU:
    Use 0x00411245 or 0x0401045. It was reported earlier that the shadows are broken with these flags, but that's actually how the game renders shadows without any AA compatability flags set. This is confirmed by resetting the L.A. Noire profile and the global profile to default and then running the game.

The Skyrim SSAO flag actually looks very nice at Quality and High Quality setting within the game. Looks nearly identical or better compared to the in-game SSAO. Forcing SSAO through the driver can also benefit people with lower speced machines since they could use the Performance SSAO option there and turn off SSAO through the game options in order to boost performance and still retain SSAO.

19. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I know, that's how I've been playing the game since I got it too. What I didn't know though was the missing effects and/or problems with AO. It's hard to look for something missing if you don't know it was even there :D

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Looking back through this thread there's a discussion about how the 0x00411245 flag causes shadow glitches in one of the missions which I've seen myself so I would not use that setting.

I briefly tried the 0x00401045 flag this morning with 4xMSAA and 4xSGSSAA plus the 0x00000029 (Skyrim) flag for Ambient Occlusion but the game was somewhat stuttery but then I did have in-game AO and AA enabled. Changing SGSSAA to SSAA improves things somewhat but the game still chugs noticeably when spinning the camera around. Disabling in-game AA fixes it but results in some odd white 'seams' here and there on cars and buildings (not many admittedly but they're there) which the in-game AA actually reduces. Disabling in-game AO has no effect so I've left that on. The sky looks better now with clouds but the halo around the sun glitches a bit (though I haven't checked if it still does that even with the default game settings).

It's really a shame that the default in-game AA for this game is so poor because it really is a stunning looking game but the jaggies are very distracting. Forcing AA with one of the flags improves things substantially but at the expense of game smoothness (introduces stuttering) and/or lost ambient occlusion and other artifacts. Basically it is not currently possible to have perfect image quality without sacrificing something elsewhere. And to add insult to injury I'm still unable to take ANY screenshots of the game as neither FRAPS nor Afterburner work with this game (I have the retail disc version). :(

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012