Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G LTE - Black ( yay or nay )

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Sneakers, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Right I'm about to grab a new phone and really really liked the specs of this one.

It seems to be the best phone around, atm.

What do you guys think, yay or nay to purchasing one of Samsung and Googles phones?

Is there a new one comming within a few months? Is there glaring bugs, quirks and incompatibility issues I should worry about?

Is this a good choice?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  2. Scerate

Scerate Guest

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    Take the following with caution cause its very subjective but better than nothing :p

i have the GSM Version since about 1 week and i must say it's a hell of a (smart)phone, i'm running it with Android Revolution HD 2.1.1 (4.0.2) and it is very fast and no stuttering is noticeable. The SGS2 is faster but it is negligible if you are not a Benchwhore.

The Pro is the battery is very very strong at least for the GSM one i loose about 1-2% every hour in standby.I found no Incompatibility yet at least the apps i tried, there is 1 bug which is bit annoying for me, you hear the speaker poping when the sound is finishedon the device after 1-2secs(lockscreen sound, ringtone, everything).
    The Screen is really good it is crispy clear and it has very good colour at least for me.

Great is even the thing that your get Android OS updates asap due to the fact its an google phone, so the most common bugs are fixed quite fast.

3. DF-1

DF-1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
    Typing this from the verizon galaxy nexus i got today. I had the droid bionic 2 months ago. Ehile it was a good.phone it wasnt the phone i wanted. This, is the phone i wanted.

Some.are reporting signal issues which i cant comment on ( only used for 8 hrs) but verizon confirmed they are going to make the signal stronger.

4. David

David Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6700 XT
    There's always going to be a new phone out in a few months :p I got my Verizon Galaxy Nexus on the 15th and am pretty happy with it. There was an activation bug that was resolved with a reboot fortunately. Disliked the default Android keyboard per usual, using SwiftX. There are reports that there is a bug in multi touch if certain games are played (can be resolved by turning screen off and back on) as well as a signal strength reporting bug. We already know 4.0.3 is in the works, I imagine there will be a few more bugs since this is a brand new version of Android.

Phone performance is snappy, battery life is good though if you really use it heavily you're going to want the extended or an extra battery to get through the day.

5. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Ummm, the LTE variant is only available through Verizon in the States. Everywhere else only has the WCDMA (better known as HSPA) variant instead.

deltatux

6. David

David Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6700 XT
    Scratch the signal strength bug. Anandtech put out an excellent article, apparently people don't understand that LTE is a different baseband and so will report different signal stength. Android 4.0 appears to also be much more honest when reporting signal strength as represented by the bars. Nothing to see here, move along.

7. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    for general gaming duties, i'd say an sgs2 or samsung galaxy note would be faster due to better GPUs. but if you arent really gaming, they'll all end up performing quite similarly. SGS2 has better app compatibility though.

8. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Yup, Android 4.0 definitely does a more accurate job at reporting signal strength (albeit to my dismay, now my house is no longer a 3 - 4 bar territory, it's now 2 - 3 bar territory *weeps* :p). Though, I still keep OpenSignal app to double check the accuracy and check its actual signal strength.

deltatux

9. ebucemag

ebucemag Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD HD 7850 2GB Crossfire
    The best overall phone atm is the HTC Rezound, highest pixel density screen, fastest processor, better camera than the galaxy (and higher megapixels), micro SD port, better audio capabilities, and better reported battery life...

I would only get the Galaxy Nexus if you really want ICS or you need root capabilities right now because the Rezound currently only has Temp Root.

10. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Samsung Galaxy S3 ( III ) when is it releasing?

Rumours have it in february? Should I wait?

Can't get the Google Galaxy Nexus ( new version ) before mid jan it seems, all sold out here :l..

So since I have to wait should I wait for the new S3 or it is just bs that its gonna get released Q1 of 2012, as early as feb?

Specs on it ( all rumours ) seems highly inflated and exagerated, but I really can't judge since I'm not really into phones. Just want a phone that won't be exceptionally outdated in 2 months time ;)

11. David

David Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6700 XT
    The pictures that appeared of the supposed Galaxy S3 turned out to be fake... so it is nothing more then a rumor. Maybe we'll see something at CES, but February? I highly doubt it. Plus do you really want Touchwiz on your Android 4.0? That's not really a question, the answer is always no :p

12. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    I'm not that into the phone world, touchwiz you say? Googled it and it seems to be the config / parameters for the touch interface?

Is it bad?

Says on wiki it is used on the S2 aswell?

Would appriciate some more explanation on this :)

13. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    You mean the wifi hub?

While it is a nice feature I don't have a laptop that I would need to power with a mobile internet, the phone is supposed to be my laptop and toy when on the road.

14. ebucemag

ebucemag Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD HD 7850 2GB Crossfire
    ICS= Ice Cream Sandwich or Android 4.0

15. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Ordered the Google Nexus 2 now, can't get any clear info on the samsung galaxy s3, and people say it would have an annoying interferance ( touch wiz w/e ).

The HTC phone mentioned before seems to have a relativly low batterylife and a slight worse display then the google phone so I guess this Google phone will be good enough.

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Personally I never found Touchwiz to be all that bad, but I can see why people would think it is.

There was a leaked Touchwiz ICS build leaked for the SII, and people weren't too happy with Touchwiz on it...:D

17. Homonculus1987

Homonculus1987 Guest

GPU:
    evga GeForce GTX560 Ti
    WTF is a google nexus 2? I googled it but no search results. Leak from google? OH yeah there is no nexus 2.

18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Err think he meant the Nexus S since that's the second line to the Nexus series, but no need to grill him now. :D

19. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Well it seems to have diffrent names depending on where you look.

Some sites have it as the Google Nexus 2 and others have it as Nexus S and some have it as Galaxy Nexus and yet some have it as Samsung GT-i9250 Galaxy Nexus.

Makes sense to call it Google Nexus 2 though sice it is the 2nd google phone this time made by Samsung where the first was made by HTC.

20. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Those sites are just wrong then lol. Officially, second generation Nexus is called the Nexus S. Most if not all carriers will call it that. Stores usually follows suit.

The latest one is called the Galaxy Nexus, calling it the Samsung GT-I9250 Galaxy Nexus is just being more descriptive/accurate lol, both are correct in this case but calling it Nexus 3 is not correct like calling the Nexus S, the Nexus 2 is incorrect.

deltatux