Gaming Computer

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by tntnardo, Dec 6, 2011.

1. tntnardo

tntnardo Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800 GT OC
    I want to get a gaming computer for my granson, I got some information in a previous thread & decided to buy a computer (Building one is not an option). What I would like to know is two things: 1) What is the minimum cpu in both AMD & Intel I should look for. Would a Athlon™ X2 dual-core work or should I go to the Phenom™ II processors. Also they show x2 x3 x4 cores is that something I have to consider? As far as Intel I think a would need at least a I-3 core, but are they also different cores?

2) what would be the minimum video card in Nvidia & Radeon.

He will be playing games such as Moderen Warfare3. There is a buget ($600) here so I know he will not be able to max out all the setting in the game, I am just looking for the minimum cpu & card so he can play the game. In looking online I think my best bet is to buy a computer with intergated video & upgrade the video card, which was suggested in a previous thread. These are a few that I have looked at.

For the cheap price of this one it would give me some money to upgrade video, memory & maybe power supply.

http://www.walmart.com/browse/Compu...1&pref_store=2079&depts=&ref=+428236&ic=32_32

This one would maybe just need video upgrade & power supply?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ZT-Systems-2TB-7645Mi/17615967?_mm=TopOneGiantItem#Product+Reviews

2. bdub5886

bdub5886 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming
    I remember the previous thread about you wanting to buy prefab. Personnally I don't see a problem with it as i did it with a prefab computer that I slapped a decent video card in, before I built a PC. However be aware that most people here are going to say you need to build it, and I would mostly agree. However if this is the way you want to go then there are 2 things to consider. One, will there be enough ventilation in the case when upgrade to a decent card and power supply. Second, will a modern video card fit in the OEM case.

Also, the second computer is nice but I think its a little overpriced for what you are looking for. Also there is no way in hell you need 16g of ram if you want to cut down on the price.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  3. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Guest

GPU:
    You have to understand that a gaming computer will cost more than double of a TV console like xbox 360 or ps3, so with that in mind let me answer your questions.

Usually, depending on a game, on the gamebox it will tell you the minimum and recommended reqs. Most modern HD games require a quad-core cpu (x4) to run smooth. Older titles can still run on 2 cores but within a year or two, they will all go to 4-cores minimum. The x2,x3,x4 corresponds to the number of cores inside the cpu.

Out of the cpu's to consider for PC gaming you're only going to be looking at AMD Phenom II and Intel Core i7. If you consider anything else, you will be spending money on a system that will get outdated in 2 years, effectively rending it useless. And the price difference won't be as big in comparison to how long you'll be able to use it and it will still be fast.

You could get away with cards like gts 450 from nvidia and radeon 6450 from amd but keep in mind that games will need to run on lowest possible settings and will look worse than the same title on a console. With cards like 560ti or 6950 you'll be able to play on maximum graphical detail (or close to it).

Overall, considering the 600 dollar budget, I would recommend getting a console instead because even if you get a pre-built system and upgrade the videocard, none of those components will be good enough to run everything smooth for 2-3 years. The cheaper the system, the lower life-cycle it will have. I usually recommend consoles in this case because they cost a lot cheaper, and will let you play everything on maximum graphical detail. Plus if you keep your $600 right now, you'll be able to be first in line, to get the brand new consoles that are coming out soon.

Most people here who have "gaming rigs" have spend over $1000 to build it, and keep spending more and more to constantly upgrade their videocards to be able to play games on max settings. Console is a lot cheaper way of doing the same, yes, with it's drawbacks, but then it all comes down to what you will be doing with your system. And if you think you can get away on the PC to play without max graphics, then why even bother? A 200 dollar console can play everything maxed out that will look a lot prettier.

If you take some of the modern games say Battlefield 3, and put all graphics on low, it won't look much different from shooters 10 years ago. Why even bother then?

If you only game, there is no need to spend 2-3-4 times as much as the cost of the console, just to have an outdated videocard in 2 years which you'll have to replace for another 400 bucks thanks to new direct x.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  4. tntnardo

tntnardo Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800 GT OC
    Thanks for the very informative answer ... Granson's already own x-box 360. But after coming over to "Granpa's" & playing some of the older games I used to play online, they now want to play online on their computer. I did alot of gaming in my time & build several gaming computers, I think the last upgrades were the 6800/256 OC cards that I paid $400 dollors for at the time (about 4/5 yrs ago). I have 3 gaming computers with these cards in them & when they come over we still go online & play (older games), they still have a blast. So I do have some knowledge of gaming systems. The granson's are 10, 8 & 8 yrs old. Now I know where you are coming from when you talk about "Maxing" out all the setting for the full experience, but I can guarantee you that the kids at this age will be thrilled to play these games online even if its at 1/2 the max setting. Their biggest thrill will be earning metals & getting ranked as high as they can as well as getting as many kills as they can. As well as "showing" granpa how to fly (planes .. Helicopters) with way more skill then I can. For kids at this age its more about the action then the graphics. So I do believe I will be able to get a computer that will satisfy them with the buget I am looking at. With the information that has been provided I believe I can now purchase a computer looking for the suggested minimum CPU & then upgrade the video card. Once again thanks for all the input!!

5. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Hum...I here the i5-2xxx game very well...Also the i3-2xxx is not bad...

@OP...the second pc w/the i5-2320 is the best out of the two...upgrade the PSU and Graphics Card...

6. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
  7. tntnardo

tntnardo Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800 GT OC
    Ok I decided on this computer (gramps is going to kick in a little money for the upgrades):
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway...ategoryId=pcmcat212600050008&id=1218380518359

I plan on upgrading ps & video card.

1)It has a 300w ps, what to you think a should upgrade to? As far as ps goes I always went with Antec. Can someone recommend a site where a can purchase a quality ps at good price? Antec or other brand. I looked at Newegg & they seem to have a good sale going on, any one from there to recommend?

2)The video card I am planing on upgrading is:http://www.walmart.com/ip/EVGA-GeFo...ourceid=1500000000000003142050#Specifications

They also have the same card in a PNY which has lifetime warranty for about $25 more.

My choice of video cards in the past was BFG (but I believe they no longer are in video card bussiness)

Is Evga a good brand? Would it pay to spend the x-tra $25 on the PNY?

Is there anything somebody can see that would make them not recommend this computer?? Once again thanks for all the information!!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  8. tntnardo

tntnardo Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800 GT OC
  9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    EVGA is good but here's an ASUS 550Ti on new egg for $109 after MIR + free shipping. Also comes with 3yr warranty, which is plenty.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121435

This PSU will be perfect for that rig, a 500w Silverstone Strider which is a very reputable brand, only $50.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256061
    It has excellent reviews from Hardware Secrets.
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/SilverStone-Strider-ST50F-500-W-Power-Supply-Review/548/10

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  10. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Guest

GPU:
    Yes, as long as it suits their needs, that's all you should care about. Pfft kids that age ;)

11. tntnardo

tntnardo Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800 GT OC
    Ok guys went to Best buy last night, was going to get the compter I mentioned earlier ($599.00): http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway...ategoryId=pcmcat212600050008&id=1218380518359

While in the store they had this one: http://jp.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/model/PT.GCCP2.004

Its specs seem to be the same, but it is discontinued model, selling for $579.00 ... They only had the one on the shelve left, I ended up getting it for $439.00!!

That leaves me some room for the power supply & video card. I'm set on what ps to get ... But now the big question, I was all set to get the 550 ti but then read this thread: http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6790-review/

I have always been a nVidia fan (and my preferance would still be nVidia), but would the Radeon 6790 be that much better? With what I saved on the price of the computer, I would like to spend $150 or less on card ... But I would be willing to go as high as $200 if the x-tra $50 would bring me into a much better card. So at this point its 550 ti vs 6790. So what I am asking is , what is the best card I can get for $150 ($200 if its a huge upgrade)? I know I've asked alot of questions & I do appreciate all the information, but I really want my granson to be thrilled x-mas day when he boots up his new computer, puts in Modern Warefare 3 & has no issues as he plays the game!!

12. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Guest

GPU:
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  13. tntnardo

tntnardo Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800 GT OC
    One last question, I purchased a PNY 550 TI card & a Thermaltake TR2 600W ps. After doing alot of research on Battlefield 3, it seems like the 560 TI MUCH better performance in the game, double fps. So do you think if a get a 560 TI it would it run with the updates I did to the system. Do you think there would be anything in there that would "Bottleneck" the performance of the card? Here is a link to the spec's: http://jp.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/model/PT.GCCP2.004

14. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    i5-2300 & 8gb RAM with GTX560Ti does seem balanced so if you think that 550Ti isnt enough, go for it.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    The Thermaltake TR2 you bought is not a good quality PSU, why didn't you get the Silverstone I recommended?

16. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Guest

GPU:
    I am not that familiar with TR2 but since when aren't TT's good quality PSUs?

17. tntnardo

tntnardo Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800 GT OC
    I bought locally, both card & ps (Best Buy) because it would be eaiser for my daughter to return if things don't work out with computer .. I will be leaving area after x-mas & won't be around. I thought Thermaltake was a good brand? My thought is if it didn't work out for gaming they would still keep the computer ... But could return video card & ps .. No since in spending an $150 & $80 if he can't use it for gaming.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Thermaltake PSU's are made by 4-5 different companies depending on the model.

Some like the FSP & Channel-Well built units are good quality, but others, like the TR2 are made by HEC and are not so good.
    The TR2 can be bought at Wal-Mart if that's any indication of quality, and it isn't even 80+ Cert - in fact going by the specs it's only 72% efficient...

19. Snarl

Snarl Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
  20. tntnardo

tntnardo Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800 GT OC
    Ok, could replace the power supply, but getting back to my question about the 560 ti, will the power supply you recommened earlier still be enough if I go with the 560 ti? Thanks for you input!!