Nvidia: New Driver before the Holidays.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by HeavyHemi, Dec 13, 2011.

1. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
  2. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Nice, hopefully they're better than the last 290.36 beta's as those had quite a few issues, and I've been on the 285.79's for some time because of that.

3. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Same club. They seemed to run okay... but the profiles were whacked.

4. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
    290.36 are great here on my systems, I've been reading about messed up profiles but mines works ok in both NVCP and inspector.
    Always do a clean install with driver sweeper people, if that helps.

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Profiles have been working fine for me too and so far the 290.36 betas have been superb, though I admit apart from Batman: Arkham City, Assassin's Creed: Revelations and a bit of the disappointing Serious Sam 3 BFE, I've been mostly been playing Skyrim (mostly being a gross understatement!).

Mind you, I'm not using SLI or 3D or multi-displays... I did choose the clean install option though but I never use Driver Sweeper as it has never been necessary! :p

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    You dont use drivesweeper yet your getting lots of crashes playing skyrim even with 4gb exe.....maybe it could be a problem with your driver ie:not cleaning the unused registry entries using drivesweeper.

7. drewho

drewho Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090
    here's a clue "unused registry entries" dont get used

8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    No problems at all with 290.36, but if the new Drivers are even better, let them come.

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yeah right because no-one else gets crashes with the game either, yeah? :p

I've been able to play Skyrim for up to 30 hours between these exits and the 4 GB Skyrim file has proven to reduce them significantly so I really don't think it has anything to do with a bad driver install whatsoever. Bad driver installs result in actual crashes with error messages and I don't get them. Hell, I've never so much as experienced a single TDR or flickery Windows loading screen!

I could almost guarantee that if I did a clean install and used Driver Sweeper that I'd still see the exact same issue. Why? Because other people have done exactly what you suggested and they still have this issue too according to numerous posts on various forums. ;)

And in case you missed it, I did a "Clean Install" for the 290.36 betas anyway, I just did not use Driver Sweeper as it is unnecessary. If NVIDIA recommended I use this software then I would use it!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  10. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Only thing i find bugged in the 290.36 beta is that once a 3D Vision monitor goes into 3D mode then back into normal 2D mode, you can't change any of the lighting/colour presets i.e. the monitor still thinks its in 2D mode :bang:

The only way to fix this is to turn off 3D vision in the NCP then restart your computer.

I've had this problem with both the new Asus VG278h (3D vision 2.0) monitor and the older Benq XL2410T monitor.

Annoying bug is annoying

11. DJ_Casper

DJ_Casper Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4070 Dual
    yeah guys. Use driver sweeper. Now I reinstall my OS once a year and not once in 2-3 months

12. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    i still get crashes in skyrim even with the 4gb mod. not as many as i use to get, but they still happen and im using the current beta drivers. im hoping the next set will fix that.

13. buddybd

buddybd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    I installed 290.36 and didn't use driver sweeper, no crashes whatsoever. Now I can suggest people to do the same as well :D

14. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    tbh, its a hit or miss when it comes to that. you and i can have the exact same system specs and im willing to bet neither of us will have the exact same game play experience. no 2 system will operate the same. i have been saying that for years. driver sweeper works for some and causes problems for others.

15. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I dont get any crashes whatsoever and im using a **** load of mods,i also use drivesweeper and have done for years,i also used drivercleaner before that,up to you wether you use it yourself.

Im using 285.79 btw:)

16. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Dont be a smart ass, it dont suit you especially with 87 posts.

Actually some registry entries from nvidia gpu drivers are locked and cannot be deleted unless you go into safe mode,so when you overwrite with new driver your not overwriting the old registry key unless you delete it from safe mode via drivesweeper or regedit.This is the reason why drivesweeper was created/exists and the sole reason why it is used.

17. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    off-topic

Had lol at the guy with the Quad SLI post on the nVidia Forum. While it's known for ages he spend $1500 in Quad SLI while he should have known it's problematic >_<

on-topic

What Firestorm said:
    The 280.XX caused issues for me while they worked for others. Right now 290.36 is the most stable i had since then havn't had a single "Driver Stopped Responding" error or anything else. It's the way it is in PC World, either accept that or get a console.

off-topic

888 posts :nerd: But i guess 50% is spam :p

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Well my issue may well be caused by the 290.36 beta drivers I'm using or my graphics card (GTX 580 vs. your GTX 295s) or the CPU overclock or something else entirely. Could be hundreds of different factors that cause it; it's impossible to say. However, I'd bet my right leg that my issues are nothing to do with not having used Driver Sweeper prior to installing the drivers.

I've certainly used Driver Sweeper before when I switched from HD 5870 CFX to my GTX 580 to clear out the remnants of the previous AMD drivers. Ironically, though that turned out to be a bugged version which deleted essential AMD system files files which I later found prevented me from installing Windows 7 Service Pack 1!!! Since then I've vowed never to use it except as a last resort as I do not believe it is necessary. The driver installer already has an optional "clean install" setting, which I occasionally use. If NVIDIA can't code an installer that correctly removes old files/registry entries and write new ones, well then there's no hope for any of their future drivers IMO! ;)

19. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Same, I haven't had issues with the 290.36 drivers either.

20. IKnowJack

IKnowJack Guest

GPU:
    GTX470
    290.36 working perfect here too.. no issues with profiles..

i never use driversweeper either..its just a gimmick..nothing more..
    ticking "Perform a clean installation" when installing a new driver is all you need to do