Need help finishing my system!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by lordoxide, Dec 12, 2011.

1. lordoxide

lordoxide Guest

GPU:
    ATI 4950
    Need some help here, I have been running for years on a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (3.01mhz), 4GB 1033, and a ATI 4950 for the last few years. It isn’t the fastest setup but it can play most games at 1920x1080 at mid or lower settings. I am typically an MMO player (WOW, SWTOR, DND, RIFT), a little SC2 and some FPS now and again. I also do a alot of MS Office work and little photoshop.

A friend bought a new PC, and sold me a few of his spare parts for $200:
    Antec 900 v2
    GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H (no SLI, no Sata3, no USB3)
    Amd Phenom II X4 965 black edition (3.4Ghz)
    8GB HyperX DDR2 PC1200
    Zalman 9700
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W PS

I am purchasing a Samsung 830 256gb SSD, just because it tests so well, if there is a better deal for a SSD for my usage type please let me know (I am open to buying two 120gb as well).

So I am looking to complete the system, with 2 goals if possible in mind, I have done hours of research on this, and I just want to be able to get some clarification and advice.

Goal 1 (required): 3 monitor immersion setup (eyefinity or nVidia surround)
    Goal 2 (optional): 3D gaming (in 3 monintor setup)
    Goal 3 (not sure) : 3D out to 3D capable TV

So here is the first challenge I am faced with is Dual GPU card or SLI/CFX, I know I need horsepower to get the 3 monitors at high resolution/high settings:
    1.) 6990/590 are both in 700 price range, which is a lot, but less headaches with configuring SLI/CFX, both have 3 monitor outputs, and I don’t need to buy a new motherboard (even though it might be suggested)

2.) 6970 CFX ($700) or GTX 570 SLI ($700) Either of these routes requires a new motherboard for around ($100), bringing the total to $800, while these might perform a little better, I don’t think the extra price is worth it. (I am omitting the GTX 580, it has a bad price point in my opinion)

3.) 6950 2GB CFX ($540) or GTX 560 SLI ($480) These also would required a new motherboard for around ($100), bring the total to $640 or $580

There is not a lot of difference in performance between option 1 and option 3, obviously option 1 has much more upgradable ability in the future, but just like I am not adding another 4950 to my system now, I am assuming in a few years I wouldn’t want to add another 6990/590, I would want the latest and greatest then. And while it is a little more of a pain to put the motherboard in (since this box is already assembled) it’s not really a problem. I am personally leaning towards option 3 AMD (looking for possibly unlockable cards) but is the 3D on AMD in eyefinity good at all?

My other major issue is monitors, I need 3 good gaming monitors (24” preferable, 27” is possible), which would be suggested for my system (both 3D and non-3D)

A few other things to consider:
    Is my power supply good enough?
    Is there room in my case for a 6990/GTX 590
    Games perform differently based on memory cap, does the extra memory on ATI tip the scale?
    Do both 3D providers require their own special glasses that are purchased separately?

I know this will be an open discussion, I welcome all the help I can get

Thanks

2. crimsonpc

crimsonpc Guest

GPU:
    HD 6950 2GB unlocked
    Here are some decent monitors for you:
    3D: ASUS VG236H (with glasses) or VG236HE (no glasses)
    No 3D: ASUS VH236H/VH238H, Dell U2312HM

I wouldn't go crazy with graphics cards because your CPU will become a bottleneck. A single 6950 or 6970 will be plenty and will drive 3 monitors just fine in games (except for Battlefield 3, that thing is a pig).

Your Antec 900 case will fit even the longest cards out there. Your 750W power supply can power any single card out there, as well as two 6950s. It should theoretically be good enough for two 6970s as well, but that would be pushing it close.

Considering the rest of your PC specs, I would go with a single 6950 2GB for now (1GB won't be good for triple screen) and three VH238H or U2312HM monitors. Then you can add a second 6950 later when prices are more palatable.

I wouldn't even bother with 3D, especially across 3 monitors, unless I had crazy amounts of money to blow on gear.

3. lordoxide

lordoxide Guest

GPU:
    ATI 4950
    You think a 6950 2GB will run 3 monitors for eyefinity with no issues?

Thanks,
    Tom

4. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    VG236H[E] is a great monitor. I love it.

The VG278H is out too if you want 27".

Nvidia's 3D support is a bit nicer for D3D than ATI.

ATI has 3D OpenGL, which nvidia only does with quadro cards.

You can use ATI's 3D software driver with nvidia for openGL 3D, albeit with non-3dvision glasses.

You will probably end up like a lot of 3D folks... running 120hz 2D. Which imho is way nicer anyways.

-scheherazade

5. crimsonpc

crimsonpc Guest

GPU:
    HD 6950 2GB unlocked
    Yes, but the actual performance will depend on the game. For example, CoD:MW3 will run fine with high details and maybe 80+ fps, while Battlefield 3 won't be too playable (30-35 fps on low settings).