Corsair Obsidian 800D, Cooler Master HAF-X. or Lian Li PC-V2120?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by DrHycodan, Dec 9, 2011.

1. DrHycodan

DrHycodan Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080
    Which of the three cases would you guys recommend? I'm looking for a full tower case with the best airflow possible.

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Haf-x

3. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    The 800D shouldn't be on anyone's list if you are looking for airflow.

HAF would be my choice for Airflow.

4. DrHycodan

DrHycodan Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080
    Then what is the 800D good for?

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Watercooling

6. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Guest

GPU:
    So true so true. I am like the only 800D owner on Air.

7. att_user

att_user Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5870 2 GB
    Maybe the new Enermax Fulmo GT? It looks like a very good case.

8. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Antec 1200 ;)
    From your list I'd say the haf-x for airflow then the corsair.

9. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    If you want airflow,get the Thermaltake Level 10 GT. Tons of room and lots of spots to add more fans. I switched all my hardware from my Alienware Area 51 ALX to the Level 10 because of the lack of good airflow. This case is exactly what I needed for proper cooling of SLI cards,ram etc. etc. It also runs very quiet,even with fans on high. I couldn't be more satisfied. Well worth the time to take a look.

10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    If you want one of the best air cases money can buy go for the Antec 1200,3 adjustable(speed) 120mm fans on front,2 adjustable 120mm fans on the back,1 200mm fan on the top,its one of the best aircooling cases you can buy.

If you wanna go water go for the Silverstone TJ07 with the modded roof from specialtech.

11. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    If you don't mind mid tower I would recommend 500R as well, other than that Haf-X and Raven is pretty good. Raven (RV02) has 3x 180mm on the bottom blowing air up and its an upside down case. I've had experience with it before and it's a really good case if you don't mind the cords coming upward, also puts less stress on the video card as they're mounted from the top, only thing is since the warm air rises you'll feel it if you don't have the top on.

Raven Example:
    [​IMG]

500R Example:
    [​IMG]

One thing I do like about the 500R and the Haf-X is the # of fans you can put on it for intake. They have a huge one on the side panel. What I like about the 500R is you can remove the top fans and mount an H100 (2rad all in one water) later on if you'd like.

As for 800D, naw they're made for water. Both my bros have it and they're using 3+1 rad on it. You "could" put a lot of fans on it but the whole thing is made around water customization.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  12. DrHycodan

DrHycodan Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080
    thanks guys, but I was looking more for a minimalistic design like the 800D or the Lian Li v2120. I just don't like the bulky design of the HAF-X.

13. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Why mention the HAF in your thread title. If you want a monolith with airflow issues compared to cheaper alternatives there's plenty to pick from. However, from your two choices I would have the Lian Li.

14. Phaetor

Phaetor Member

GPU:
    SLI GTX470 @ 770/1700
    I've had all the cases posted above :D
    Best one by far for aircooling was the FT02 (raven). With the HAF-X coming in second; but I wouldn't go for it again. The FT02 is just better imo, less noise and better GPU cooling!!
    Liquid cooling is just uber in the 800D. I'm using that atm. Got 5x120 rads in there and its just .. very good :)

15. jellysheep

jellysheep Guest

GPU:
    Elitegroup GTX 570
    I suggest the lancool PC-K62, and on a side note. the antec 1200, is a bit dated.

so, PC-K62, 500R, or rosewill challenger.

16. DrHycodan

DrHycodan Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080
    Ok I've already ordered the Lian Li v2120 for $400. It's got great airflow as well as three 120mm mounting holes on top to install an H100 radiator later on. One problem is I don't know anywhere that I can buy the mesh grills that Lian Li cases use on the top of their cases. Does anyone know?

17. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I have the 800D with a XSPC Rasa360 watercooling kit and it works great for me. But the case is not as bad as people say for air cooling. The 3 chambers works really well, the PSU stays very cool and dust filtered, there is space at the front to mount a 120mm fan bay (like I have) for extra air flow from the front of the case, and there are places online that sell pre modded side panel windows so you can add in 2x140mm fans on the side. Whilst most people will tell you that side mounted fans do not work as well, in this case they surely do. It will help keep your graphics card cool with extra airflow and also help keep vital parts of the motherboard cool as well (NB, MOSFETS/VRMS, etc). Plus the build quality is something to be admired a lot... as I am sure you know ;)

18. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    5x120 RADS!! o_0

please send me a pic of that I beg you :)

19. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Antec 1200 maybe a bit old but show me another case today that can rival its aircooling from stock without modding or adding to it......there isnt any cases!Its still one of the best regarding air.

Its 1x triple and 1xdual rad=5x120mm rads,well i presume so.

20. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    ANY of the HAF series. Storm Series as well. Alot of Thermalmake, NZXT's Phantom series...

Quite alot are better than it, and some are in the same price range, along with more features, more expansion slots, USB 3.0, ectera, the works.