ATI Given up on trifire support?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by jesyjames02, Dec 6, 2011.

1. jesyjames02

jesyjames02 Guest

GPU:
    6950 Crossfire 2gb
    Just curious if anyone else's experience mirror's mine.

Of the games I've played during the last 6 months, BF3 is the only game that has good trifire scaling. At best, the other games I've played have performance equal to crossfire or negative scaling.

I've tried:

Deus Ex HR, Dead Island, Batman AC, Modern Warfare 3, Saints Row the 3rd, Witcher 2, and Skyrim.

Have they given up on it? Am I incorrectly installing things?

2. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Well hearing this sucks! I was thinking about getting a 3rd 6950 for tri fire as a cheaper way to bring more rendering power to my setup instead of just upgrading each gen.

I thought tri fire weren't to bad, always thought it was more 4GPUS where things didn't really scale well

3. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    First, what is your resolution?

At 2560x1600 I can tell you by experience that it works fine. I dont own SR3 so I cant confirm on that one.

4. Stingray

Stingray Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Super OC
    Have know idea if they gave up, but my experience has been bad enough that I plan on going back to team green next upgrade. I don't recall having this mush issue with sli. In fact, my sli'd 8800gtx's were the best setup I had.

5. Conker

Conker Guest

GPU:
    Quadfire 2x7990s
    Use radeonpro and make your own profiles. A lot of times you can gain a ton of power. A lot of profiles are mostly for 2 gpus.

6. bkandor

bkandor Active Member

GPU:
    2@ xfx290 black
    I have tri-fire now 6990+6970 and I had quad fire before with 2 5970's and I've had great scaling in most games. Make sure you are not cpu limited or 'display limited' i.e. you probably wont see much impact if you are running a small number of pixels/low hz or low settings.

I'm running 6046x1080 @ 60hz or 1920x1080 @ 120hz and it definately works for me.

7. shadow_craft

shadow_craft Guest

GPU:
    ASUS StiX OC 1070
    This!

This is why BF3 works very well, because it is very GPU intensive, add more GPU's and performance scales as it should.

If your running a game that is CPU intensive such as Starcraft 2, adding more GPU's can actually HURT performance because now the CPU has to handle the extra stress of managing additional GPU's (which are not going to help fps:3eyes:).

This creates "Negative scaling", which is why many of the problems people experience in Skyrim is probably their CPU or Ram speeds.

*This is assuming your computer is setup correctly and have drivers installed properly.

Have you tried a fresh install of windows, drivers, etc?

I keep all my drivers updated with Driver Genius, not because I have too, but because its a simple way to scan to see if a new chipset or audio driver is out I might have missed.

From my experience running the latest drivers for all system devices makes a very big difference!

(something to consider)

Cheers

8. jesyjames02

jesyjames02 Guest

GPU:
    6950 Crossfire 2gb
    Interesting. I suppose the cpu could be the bottleneck. I have a i2600k at 4.8ghz. I am running 1920 x 1080 at 120hz.

The only reason I don't think the CPU would be the bottleneck is because often times disabling the 3rd card leads to improved frame rates-- though just as often there is zero difference between 2 and 3 cards.

Currently doing Batman AC and Saints Row and the 3rd card changes absolutely nothing.

9. Theta

Theta Member

GPU:
    2 x 290, 2 x 290X
    I've never had an issue in the past with Tri-Fire scaling, though I've been running 2560x1600 for years.

Currently, I've had nothing but good results, but I'm pretty maxed out on CPU power.

Sabertooth X79, i7 3930K @ 4.9, 32GB, 3 x HD6970 in TriFire

99% utilization on BF3, ~90% on most others. Hell, even The Old Republic uses 75-80% of all 3, and that's not even multi-threaded.

It may well be your resolution - 1080p isn't really that high for TriFire. You could always test with 2560x1600. Buy a 30 - you won't regret it. :)

10. Visuallyvisible

Visuallyvisible Active Member

GPU:
    Do you by any chance have Saints row 3 Theta?
    That only gives me 70% gpu usage on my rig with an i5 750 @ 4.4ghz 30-50 fps very inconsistent. AA or not, lowered settings or maxed it doesn't seem to run that well.

11. Rotary8

Rotary8 Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI 680
    yeah buy a 30'', thats what i run for my 5870 trifires, its like night and day when it comes to fps from 2 cards

im running an old i7 930 and i get no bottleneck at all with it over clocked

12. Theta

Theta Member

GPU:
    2 x 290, 2 x 290X
    Have not tested it yet - I'll make it a point to try it out for you!

13. Theta

Theta Member

GPU:
    2 x 290, 2 x 290X
    Well, crap! Testing Saint's Row 3 now, getting 35-40% usage on each of 3 GPUs.

Tried using RadeonPro to force CFX profiles... no dice... 2560x1600 Fully maxed out settings.

14. Visuallyvisible

Visuallyvisible Active Member

GPU:
    Thanks for testing. I'm only running 1080p and saints row uses like 50-70% mostly in the low 60s and doesn't add much flex on the cpu at all....

Either sloppy pc dev, bad drivers or both. Either way it's poor performance in that game. :-(

15. Theta

Theta Member

GPU:
    2 x 290, 2 x 290X
    Yep, you're right about that one. I do have to say that's the first negative scaling game I've run into, and I've tested and/or played a lot.

Overall, I'm happy with TriFire at 2560, but if I wasn't running that res... It would be a tough decision.

16. Wag

Wag Member

GPU:
    2GB 6950 Tri-Fire
    I have Tri-Fire 2GB 6950s (unlocked) and game @ 2560x1440. Now you've piqued my interest. I think I'm going to have to do a little bit of testing...

17. jesyjames02

jesyjames02 Guest

GPU:
    6950 Crossfire 2gb
    Please do. Batman AC, Modern Warfare 3, and Saints row the 3rd all seemed better with just 2 cards, rather than 3. Same with Skyrim.

18. Pey

Pey Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 980 STRIX @ SLI
    What drivers are you guys using for battlefield 3? I cant seem to find a proper driver for 2560x1600, best i tried 11.10 prev 3 no caps, but after the patch the gpu usage is lower, i barely get 50fps and it stutters like hell. Tried 11.11a/b/c, no DICE, lol.

19. Pey

Pey Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 980 STRIX @ SLI
    bump before i sell my trifire :(

20. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    11.11c + 11.11cap3 works perfect for me.

Pey,what are your ingame settings?