nVidia's FXAA mode (anti-aliasing)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by TheHunter, Jul 20, 2011.

1. The Sleeper

The Sleeper Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 FE
    Tried this with The Witcher 2 and no luck :0(

Anyone got it to work with The Witcher 2 ?

I place the files where the game .exe is located but still no go ...

Do i need too activate something in the NV CP ?

Thanks .... :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  2. pxmm

pxmm Member

GPU:
    AMD 280X
    It's working ok for me, I had to put the files in \The Witcher 2\bin\ folder so if they're there it should work fine.

3. The Sleeper

The Sleeper Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 FE
    Well i do see a performance hit of 4 -5 fps, but i cant see that the AA is working at all ?

Maybe its just me :0)

Do you see a big difference ?

Do you disable the AA in the options menu before this works ... ?

4. pxmm

pxmm Member

GPU:
    AMD 280X
    I do see a difference but perhaps still some jaggies compared with other games, I'm sure very detailed game like witcher 2 would benefit from the more advanced SMAA modes when they're implemented into the injector.

Also, I do turn off AA in the options as that is just a shader too.

5. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    Tried injectSMAA with Skyrim and it didn't work. Perhaps the Skyrim4GB LAA patch is interfering. Is it supposed to work with all games?

6. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    InjectSMAA 1.1 works for me in Skyrim using a Radeon 6870 and WinXP.

7. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    I concur; the SMAA wrapper ver 1.1 works with Skyrim, with or without the 4GB LAA Address Flag patch.

Note: But I am currently no longer using SMAA with Skyrim, as i play it at 4xSSAA on my AMD card with the ICC_ENB_Mod.

8. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    I put the 3 files in the steam skyrim folder, loaded the game up with 4gb, pressed the toggle button and nothing happened. Trying it with other games now.

9. Funky Doodle

Funky Doodle Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte ATI HD 5830 1GB
    what about battlefield 3? InjectSMAA 1.1 work with it? i tried, but no luck!

10. mypc

mypc Guest

GUYS which IS best for SKyrim FXAA OR SMAA.IF FXAA which setting I used please TEll me

11. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
  12. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    [​IMG]

Still a lot of work thou :)

On a side note: Timothy Lottes said...
    The challenge for a driver version of FXAA is that it can only run after the game renders the HUD or the UI (which is not the best place to run FXAA). Any driver FXAA cannot take advantage of the options available when an individual title integrates FXAA directly. For this reason driver FXAA uses a different version of FXAA, one that is more conservative, better on text than FXAA 3.11, but more expensive.

As driver and non-driver FXAA are different, the driver FXAA algorithm will get updates timed with driver releases and as a result of gamer feedback, but not the same updates as the non-driver FXAA.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  13. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    Try without 4gb. The 4gb loader might be interferring with the injector.

14. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    Did you know that ENB series can load other d3d9.dll 's after itself?
    You can use both ENB and either the FXAA or SMAA injector.

15. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    Looking good so far.
    But I really hoped that it would be possible to adjust the settings on the fly from inside a game.
    Also I would like to see the ability to use a .ini file to configure what variables to change from inside the game, the minimum and maximum values and the increment to change them in.
    This way adding in support for my shaders will be easy, which it won't be if shader support is hardcoded into the program.

I imagine something like :
    CoefBlur 1.6 : [1.2 - 3.0 | 0.05] +(ALT+NUM_PAD4) -(ALT+NUM_PAD6)

Meaning the variable CoefBlur can be set to values between 1.2 and 3.0 in steps of 0.05 using ALT+NUM_PAD4 to increment and ALT+NUM_PAD6 to decrement.
    The syntax I used was just an example .. feel free to come up with a better one. It should probably also have the ability to swith bool variable on and off with a single keypress.

Then you can code the shaders to disable/enable various functions using the bools.

Humus' DXoverride doesn't inject shaders but it does do some other nifty thing that would be nice to see in an injector.
    Here is the .ini from DXoverride:
    Code:
    // Forces alpha to coverage instead of alpha test
    ForceAlphaToCoverage = 1

// 0 = Don't force a backbuffer format. Any other value is interpreted as a D3DFORMAT value.
    // A2R10G10B10 = 35
    // A8R8G8B8 = 21
    // X8R8G8B8 = 22
    // A1R5G5B5 = 25
    // X1R5G5B5 = 24
    // R5G6B5 = 23
    ForceBackBufferFormat = 0

// 0 = Don't force a DepthStencil format. Any other value is interpreted as a D3DFORMAT value.
    // D24S8 = 75
    // D24X8 = 77
    // D16 = 80
    ForceDepthStencilFormat = 0

// 0 = Don't force any FSAA mode, any other number indicates number of samples, for instance 2, 4 or 6.
    ForceMSAAMode = 0

// 0 = Don't force resolution. If both are set, the indicated resolution will be enforced.
    ForceWidth = 0
    ForceHeight = 0

Hopefully you can use some of my ideas.

P.S. Glædelig Jul.

16. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Takker lige over :)

If you haven't seen it, all source code is available here: http://www.assembla.com/spaces/fxaa-pp-inject

There are some visible limitations with FXAA, so I will more or less hardcoded to stick within these, but that goes only for limit checks, which means that I move some calculations for static values from rendering code to configuration code.
    That should improve the rendering speed somewhat.

Most of the C++ h files will remain as they are, since the configuration GUI only allows faster/easier adjustments than editing with notepad.
    So you will still have full support for manual adjustments. :)

I don't have the source code for the dll files either, so can't really change some things I would love to change.
    Like making it possible to select which key to use for disabling/enabling the entire shader passes, adding the GUI which I'm working on as overlay and so on.
    Overlay is needed to make it work while you look at the game, plus I need it to make a redirecting device reset request, so we can see the changes on the fly.

Another thing that could be nice is to centralize it for a game list, automatic directx version in use detection ... think I can keep going on.

But first I will focus on finishing it as a gui to quickly adjust the settings, all other things can come later.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  17. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    where get fxaa tool??????????

18. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Yepp, already using another DLL [Proxy] for custom color tones, sharpen and other minor details (the FXAA PP ;) ).

---

That is some amazing work with the GUI.

Suggestions(if its viable):

1. Would it be possible to show values in a text box to the right of each slider, which could also have a feature to edit those values. But at the same time the values could revert to slider presets by just moving the slider back again, it would greatly help.

2. It would also be great if the whole settings/values in a GUI could be saved into a separate file and then import in another system, something on the lines of export/import profiles or settings. (I think this will have certain issues if more PP features are added to the Pack)

:)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  19. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Thanks.

I'm not much for adding text boxes since the values are going from 1 to 9 within some good visible limits.
    But, this also covers your 2nd suggestion, there will be one settings file as now in which you can do micro adjustments with decimals between 1 and 9.
    That also means that you can share that file with other PC's / games.

I will add a reset (resets to actual settings before any sliders where touched) and a save button thou.

Also a help button or tooltips that tell a bit more about the different options.

20. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    SMAA injector 1.1 is hardcoded to high? i thought it was on low ...