Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit and Anti-Aliasing

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Heimhoff, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Heimhoff

Heimhoff Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6970 2GB
    Hello.

I've been trying to force any form of Anti-Aliasing in Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, but to no avail. I've followed suggestions such as forcing through CCC or RadeonPro; using all available levels and filters.

For those unfamiliar with the game, the PC version does not support Anti-Aliasing natively.

From what I've gathered, forcing AA through CCC used to work for this game with the 10.10 drivers (And a specific release of them, for that matter). As the interest for this game died out, it seems like so has the support for it.

So I've come to ask for any additional information there may be about forcing any AA mode in this game. Do any of the recent Catalyst drivers support forced AA, or am I forever cursed to race on my Gallardo with jagged edges?

I'm currently using the 11.11 drivers and I can most definitely confirm that forced AA does not work with Hot Pursuit.

2. Geralt

Geralt Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 8GB
  3. Heimhoff

Heimhoff Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6970 2GB
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried out the new SMAA mode, but it seems awfully similar to MLAA.

The end result was rather lackluster. The only difference I noticed were the powerlines that run above the highways - those were, surprisingly, well anti-aliased. Everything else (Car, environment, mountains, objects) wasn't.

It seems that both MLAA and SMAA come with heavy text distortions. I could tell the mod was working before even jumping into the game because of the distorted subtitles.

It was worth a shot though.

After a little more research, it would seem that forced AA was disabled for this game because it caused further issues during night-time. I wish ATI/AMD would still let the end-user be in control of these things, though. I mean, it's called "forced" for a reason, no?

In any case, thanks for the heads up. I'll keep looking for a workaround and any other suggestions are welcome.

4. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    If you're talking about the original Hot Pursuit, also known as NFS3, I use AA on it all the time through my Vision Control Center. I set it at 4 X AA and 2X AF and it looks great. I also am running the Vista Edition patched version by a guy named Rejzor along with the nGlide 3dfx glide wrapper. I play the game at 1366 X 768 in it's normal 4:3 aspect ratio and it never looked so good. I only use the regular AA in the box mode like I do in all games.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011

5. Heimhoff

Heimhoff Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6970 2GB
    Thanks Dch, but I'm referring to 2010's Hot Pursuit release. I think I should have clarified that in the original post.

Any of the more experienced folks out there know if it's possible to force AA through application profiles, registry edits or anything of the sort?

It is most certainly possible, as can be seen here and here.

6. NAZ2222

NAZ2222 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC 6800XT 16G
    Download this FXAA

http://www.mediafire.com/?vxq2f9aai93rtbc

and copy the content of the dx9 folder to the main folder of the game(the same folder where is the nfs11.exe).

Start the game and enjoy no jaggies ;)

(tested by me, none of the blurring from MLAA, and much better aliasing reduction)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  7. mojoba

mojoba Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070 8gb
    Don't bother with this, crash to desktop on start up.

8. NAZ2222

NAZ2222 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC 6800XT 16G
    Has been working for me perfectly on the last months, with patch 1.5 of the game on win7 x64. Let the thread onwer test for himself ok ;)

9. Heimhoff

Heimhoff Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6970 2GB
    I've given FXAA a shot and, so far, it's the alternative that has worked the best.

While it's still crippled by some text distortions here and there, it does a good job of anti-aliasing everything in the game world. This includes the car, the environment and props.

As far as I can tell, it has little to no performance drawback. Good job on the find and thanks for letting me know. I will be using this AA injection method from now on.

FXAA, like MLAA, is still a post-processing AA method. While it definitely makes the game look miles better, I'm hoping to find a way to apply true AA to this game at some point.

10. shadow_craft

shadow_craft Guest

GPU:
    ASUS StiX OC 1070
    I'm still waiting for a shadow fix from the developer, never going to happen though.

11. giri.placid

giri.placid Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    Some dudes fxaa injector has sharpen process that negates all the blur caused by fxaa to an extent that sometimes beats the original image sharpness. Play with the settings. I absolutely love the injector and I don't think I can ever play any game without it. Also you could consider using the tonemap process to restore brightness, color to what exists in reality.

Since ur playing the game pls post some screen shots with the mod :p

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  12. scitek

scitek Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
  13. Final8ty

Final8ty Master Guru

GPU:
    2x5970 Toxic 4GB 900/1200
    I noticed the same thing that Forced AA no longer works in the game and post AA is no comparison to how good it looked with real AA.

14. NAZ2222

NAZ2222 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC 6800XT 16G
    I havent experienced blurring on my system I think, check if you have left MLAA enabled on some profile you created perhaps. And yes as was refered, you can change the values for the sharpening and such, although in my opinion "Some Dude" really got a good balance to start with. :thumbup:

15. Heimhoff

Heimhoff Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6970 2GB
    Thanks, I'll give this a try.

I mean time, here are a few tests I ran as requested. I've isolated parts of the scenes where the difference was most apparent.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And I also took screenshots comparing the slight text blur that occurs when FXAA is applied.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Nevertheless, it's still a vast improvement over the game's lack of native AA support and, as far as I can tell, it isn't crippled by night-time smearing like "true" AA presumably is.

There is also next to no performance hit while using FXAA. This is observed using the default settings.

16. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    I just got the game and tried the FXAA injector with no luck. The DX9 files don't let the game load at all and the DX10 ones make absolutely no difference. In fact I think the game looks better without the FXAA and with no AA at all. I also don't see any way to adjust setting in the injector.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  17. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    I've just been playing this game again after many months and was messing with the AA problem. There is a newer version of the FXAA injector that comes with a tool that you can muck around with :

http://www.assembla.com/spaces/fxaa-pp-inject/documents

If you can get a good mix of settings can you let me know as I kind of gave up with it and resorted to MLAA.

18. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    It's only for DX9 and if I put that DX9 file in my game, it won't start.

19. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    I just got the MLAA injector and that one works and does make things look slightly better. It doesn't seem to impact performance but I can't really tell since it prevents the display of framerate in Playclaw. I read that FXAA is only for Nvidia so that's most likely why it didn't do anything for me.