GeForce 290.36 Drivers Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by alanm, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Manuel (I think) says it should be fine as long as you are installing over with a newer version of the driver. If the version is older however (as I understand it this is implied) your way is recommended.

2. Saiyan

Saiyan Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 12GB
    Thx mate, that fixed it.

Now the only remaining question is: how to get it to work with the Large Address Aware loader? Right now I need to launch the game as normal to get AO. Let us hope Bethesda adds the LAA flag to the exe in the update on Wednesday.

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    These drivers seem to be OK though I only tested them with Skyrim. However, I did see a couple of texture glitches which may or may not be an issue with the driver. In one jail a wall disappears as you walk past it and another on the opposite side of a cell keep disappearing and reappearing, revealing the scenery behind it. Could well be a game bug I guess but I hadn't seen anything like it before I installed this drivers so who knows?

4. Ade 1

Ade 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    Drivers work fine here - just installed over top of previous. Only played Skyrim but no issues so far.

5. DJ_Casper

DJ_Casper Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4070 Dual
    ManuelG knows about that bug with L4D2

6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I see people still mention to use Driver Sweeper to uninstall Drivers.

DON'T!!

Unless you don't mind reinstalling Windows because it got screwed up because of it.

7. RedSeptember

RedSeptember Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 690 4gb
    Don't? I have not heard of once case where windows was messed up via driver sweeper. Perhaps by the person who isnt paying attention when using it, but it rediculous to advise people to not use just because you or others have had issues.

I see no reason why it should "mess up windows" if you take care to select only the Nvidia drivers.

8. RedSeptember

RedSeptember Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 690 4gb
    I do this way anyway just to be extra safe (im just one of those anal people). I find that things just seem a little more snappier when I do it this way, though I agree it should be totaly fine to install new ones over older version as per ManualG's advice. My comment was just for the people who need to be extra sure its a uber fresh install to limit their potential source of their issues. :biggun:

9. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
    Well my three pcs and 3 laptops must be alien technology then because I use that method since the dawn of time and never had a problem.

There are too many options to check when using driver sweeper but I think most of the users just check nvidia display (and chipset if you're not using an Nforce chipset). Because that's what you need to check, nothing else.

10. So3oL4Nu

So3oL4Nu New Member

GPU:
    GTX 465
    Finally ! Hope they work, will try them tonight :nerd:

11. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    That's what'd people get from using the outdated version hosted on Guru3D.
    It pays to stay up-to-date.

In any case, no one should uninstall drivers using Driver Sweeper.
    DS is only for post-uninstallation, after using the driver's uninstaller.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  12. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    exactly, no problems on my end either. i use it every time in safe mode after in uninstalled the drivers. (though i also use twl's cleaner, and delete entries from the video section in the registry).

the older version deleted some registry entries that shouldnt be deleted

13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Drivesweeper is fine i been using it for years and get no problems as long as you select the right registry entries to be uninstalled which are normally nvidia drivers and physx for me.Its an essential piece of kit that is a must have for myself.

14. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Ahem... the warning *is* valid as an earlier version of Driver Sweeper had a known issue acknowledged on their forums where it actually deleted system files which prevented the installation of Service Pack 1 for Windows 7.

I know because I experienced the issue myself when I used that version of Driver Sweeper to clean out the remnants of my previous AMD HD 5870 CFX install after I'd fitted my NVIDIA GTX 580. The authors admitted their error and released the required AMD system files as a download on the forums which then allowed me to finally install Service Pack 1.

More info here: http://www.*****.com/news/19259-beware-of-driver-sweeper-on-windows-7-a.html

Since then I've never used Driver Sweeper and I've not had any problems installing new drivers. I usually install over the top but on a few occasions I've chosen the Clean Install option. I personally would not recommend using Driver Sweeper unless you're having serious problems installing drivers and then I'd only consider it as a last resort. The NVIDIA installer is now superb and does a great job already of installing needed and removing unwanted files.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  15. Saiyan

Saiyan Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 12GB
    If Skyrim would use all 4 cores, many of the CPU issues we are seeing would not be happening. Nothing wrong with his rig.

16. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Which was fixed within a week or two, and the fact that DS always backs up everything it deletes by default so it was actually easy to restore, unless a user delete the backups to save space.

TwL's cleaner is still doing the same thing (deleting system files) by the way.
    It can be optional, but it's the default routine when you choose to express clean everything.
    Didn't really see any AMD users who uses it complaining about that.

Anyway, getting OT; I'll just stop here.

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Have not used any sort of driver sweeper for years. Mainly because I found it was completely unnecessary. I used an installer monitoring program which gave a precise record of all files, reg entries that went into an Nvidia driver install and what was left over when using Nvidias uninstaller. Only a few empty reg keys and one or 2 insignificant files that would be written over by a new driver was all that was left. Now granted that Nvidias drivers have grown in size and complexity since then, I still trust the makers of the drivers themselves rather than some outsider to do it. For one thing, Nvidia are FANATICAL about anything that may give any sort of edge to AMD, incl drivers. Driver uninstallers are not a complicated thing, even amateurs can do it with simple batch file based apps if they know all files, reg entries that have gone in the system. It is childs play compared to the real work the driver developers do in optimizing and fine tuning for the performance of each card and game in their work. Somebodys job at Nvidia would be on the line if they made a lousy uninstaller that messed up the performance of a newer driver and resulted in AMD performing better in a review for example.

18. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    well nvidia driver uninstallations suck, i have to reboot extra times to completely remove the suite. kind of rediculous if you ask me.
    why is it not like the install window. check whatever you want uninstalled, reboot and done.

19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    This driver created a folder in the C:\Program Files thats 462mb. Its not the usual extraction folder thats created when using the installer. Hmm..

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I wouldn’t go changing the way you install or uninstall drivers unless your having issues.

I personally go through the whole Driver Sweeper procedure as I seem to never get many, if any issues in games or movies, so for the sake of an extra few minutes, its worth it for the peace of mind.
    As for it deleting the wrong stuff, you can see what is getting deleted anyway.

Tested these last night with BF3, Batman AC, Sonic Generations and all is good, can’t see any improvement, even in Batman at various PhysX settings, but nothing has gotten worse either.