I've found a fix for HyperThreading and Battlefield 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Outrance, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    I wanted to make a new thread for this so that it'll turn up easily on Google. There are a lot of people complaining of a major stutter (every 1-5 seconds) in BF3, regardless whether they're using nVidia or AMD, and finding turning HT off in the BIOS resolved the issue.

Being that I need HT for non-gaming apps, I decided to look into it after I saw people with i7 cpus and HT on not experiencing the issue. So...

HyperThreading on + Intel Speed Step off = Stutter.

Intel Speed Step (advanced), needs to be on.

Make sure you run around for 20 seconds or so after the game loads so you don't confuse the regular texture loading with the constant stutter.

As simple as that. I was worried that DICE wouldn't bother fixing this issue as it's so isolated and, I assume, is somehow complicated.

I've tested this multiple times, but just to be sure, can people double check this?

2. sexus

sexus Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GF GTX 680 sli
    this is a ridiculous solution exspecially for people that ocd theyre cpu -.-'

i suggest wait till a proper patch releases :)

3. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    well was thinking the same thing. doesnt having speedstrap on defeat the object of an oc?

but give the op a chance to explain himself/herself.

4. UNREAL_2004

UNREAL_2004 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 & G12+H55
    Why? u can let speedstep enabled with overclock... :3eyes:

<-- 5Ghz with speedstep.

5. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    pues estas diciendo que usas speedstrap pero tienes 5ghz al mismo tiempo?

porque no corres al 5ghz 24/7?

6. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    ^true but when you need it its there.

7. jellysheep

jellysheep Guest

GPU:
    Elitegroup GTX 570
    English, please, this is america. if you want to speak spanish, go to a mexican site. not a american site.

8. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    technically this site is owned and opperated by people in the netherlands. just thought id point that out :nerd:

9. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    ya sorry i see a guy from bilbao..

translated..."why would you run a 5ghz with speedstrap and not run 5ghz 24/7"

p.s it aint america boyo its "el mundo" "the world" or in this case the guru universe...:)

and i spell colour with a "u" hehe...

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  10. UNREAL_2004

UNREAL_2004 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 & G12+H55
    I dont need 5Ghz for 24/7 :3eyes: 5Ghz when surfing, watching films and listening music?

Spanish: cuando necesite los 5gHz ya subirá automaticamente.

11. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    well your oc in your specs lists 5ghz so thats why am confused...

but if it works for you great, never had any stutter here with or without ht on/off

ofc i do get the bit of lag but then thats expected running ultra at a high res.

at the end of the day bf3 and skyrims engines i dont think are 100 percent optimised but then again which engine ever is?

p.s unless you throw x2 580's at bf3 but then again i'd bet there would be sli issues. could be wrong ofc :)

12. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    C1E is fine when OC'ed, but EIST isn't can cause huge issues (its better off).

Im using C1E for good 5-7 months and never seen any side effects, before that i ran ~3.6ghz all the time (2yrs) completely unnecessary.. Well i was freaked by those alarming false recommendations to turn any power saving feature off -_-

13. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    @unreal dont think there's 2 much harm running 5ghz 24/7 as long as your vcore n temps arent 2 high..up to you ofc..

back on topic..:)

14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Can't remember having this. I do have speestep enabled (and running CPU happily at 4.3 GHz, I don't need it squeeze more out of it).

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I have all power saving features enabled when it's overclocked, ran lots of benchmarks and made no difference to the framerate, and no difference with games either, so decided there was no need having it wasting power, and generating heat if there was no performance benefit for me.

This might be why i never had any issues with stutter when i had it HT enabled, but most of my time has been on the PS, with only an hour or two on the MP.

16. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    5GHz? I only get mine up to 4GHz rock stable without having to push the voltages sky high. :p

Anyway I also always use Speed Step and C1E, makes a massive difference in Idle temps.
    I mean seriously, why wear out your processor faster when you don't need the power?

But It seems the biggest problem with CPU power saving fuctions seem to be when your overclocking with the FSB.

17. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    well when i first joined guru i remembered someone telling me to have speedstrap n c1eist etc off all the time...

still running at 4ghz since launce so guess am ok.

that said why not have speedstrap on if you want.

i personally thought that if perhaps there's some bad coding or intel cock up speesptrap might actually makes things worse...

i.e having it off is one less thing to worry about. or thats how i look at it...(remove as many possible causes for potential issue).

ofc we are in placebic realms with this thread in fact the op's first post could be this entirely.

18. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    If you want a successful HIGH oc on nelahem with *good stability* then speedstep needs to be off permanetly.

19. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    that's what i was led to believe as well..

20. RLCF

RLCF Member

GPU:
    Crossfire R9280X/3GB
    DICE is not American but Swedish, these war games are true parodies directed to these uninformed like this "jellysheep" where five American or British soldiers ("nice guys") always defeat the whole army of the "wicked and evil" Russians, Arabs, Persians, Germans and Japanese 1930-1945. Battlefield 3 is another game that suffers from the overuse of unrealistic lighting effects to mask bad textures or hypnotize players with insect brain. 5Ghz to run this game is a total waste of energy my old Q6600 (with EIST on) run this game on the highest quality at 1920x1200.
    Farewell :leave: