Do you think the 6xx series will have 2GB Minimum?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Mkilbride, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    I certainly hope so. Was looking at my options for 2GB cards, and it's mostly internal SLi cards, which aren't really 2GB...so yeah.

Found one 2560MB Single GPu, a 570, but meh.

I seriously didn't think games would use up so much VRAM so fast. I mean we had games last year using 500-700MB, tops.

Then bam, now almost all games I've played recently use almost all of my 1280 MB of VRAM.

2. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I'm playing through Deus EX HR maxed in dx11 with high SSAO and high FXAA and it's only using about mb of vram...

besides about 3 games...and only because overriding AA is more memory intensive than in game AA....I think we'll be fine for quite a while.

Of course next gen we'll need a 2gb min...but really...if you are running a single 1080p display...the need for 2gb or more is minimal.

Nvidia are also jackasses so I'm sure they'll make only the top 2 cards with a decent amount of vram... just to coerce people into buying those cards.

3. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    I'm running @ 1680 x 1050, no AA, medium-high settings in BF3, and I'm maxing out my VRAM.

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    yes minimum, i would like to see 3gb though. high AA FTW!

5. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I'm hoping the high end cards will come out with 2gb's, or 1.5gb's minimum at least. The large titles that came out this year could use more vram than just 1gig, with that trend happening at the moment NV needs to consider the 1080+ resolution gamers :p

6. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Mmm curious, I run BF3 at 1920x1080 with everything on "Ultra" and Deferred AA turned off on a completely stock GTX470.
    And its smooth sailing for me.

7. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Nope, low-end ones will have 1gb or so (even 51mb), those need to be cheap. High-end ones I think will have over 1,5gb, 2gb-3gb might be a good option.

If you are talking about GTX6xx cards, I still bet that it's not going to be 2gb minimum.

8. Hemectu

Hemectu Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX465 SC -> 470 SC
    Its all about the Bus speed for the first release of cards. Nvidia will most likely stick with their current strategy and leave additional memory options open to the dealers - MSI/EVGA/Gigabyte/Asus...

9. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    Those games that max out ram is only because they have an efficient streaming mechanism, imo we with 1.280gb are fine for a good year or so..

10. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    i think nvidia will go for 3gb..

11. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Whats funny is i did alittle testing

I set my settings on bf3 and my 560ti to use around 800-900 mb with the same settings my 580 used 1.4
    so somethings messed up somewheres.

12. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    I'm guessing that on a card with lesser VRAM they offloaded it to system RAM or even pagefile instead.
    It's just that using VRAM would always be the fastest one so the game (or engine) tries to exhaust that one first before moving on to a slower tier (temporary) storage.

13. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

This.

The more data stored in vram the quicker it is to access. It's always better to have as much as possible already stored in vram. That's assuming not all the data is required at any given time, if it is allrequired then you will get huge frame drops if you don't have enough vram.

14. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    but why when i fiddle with the settings to use no more then 850-900mb on the 560 ti the same settings on the 580 will push 1.4?
    if your trying to tell me the 560 has ran out of ram no i can turn up some stuff to max it. in the same conditions mind you its not like i'm in a full server or anything.

i just cant get around how one card uses more then another with the same settings...that dont look hardware to me...but who knows?

15. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

what I mean is that if the card has 1gb vram then the game will only fill it as much as it can/is programmed to i.e 900MB and then empty/re-fill the vram cache as required on a scene by scene basis, but this will ofcourse be slower than if the memory already had all the data there. Then if a scene requires more than 1GB vram, typical for mp at higher resolutions/settings then you can expect serious frame drops as much larger amounts of memory will be needed and then you get system ram cacheing.

16. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    because of texture streaming.

Its flexible and can dynamically allocate/fill all the needed data and it won't stutter.

eidt:

Rage is perfect example, with 16k maps the game would max out my ram with 285.38, while with 285.62 they fixed one memory leak and now its below 1060mb..

Or Crysis2 it fills as much as it can and then dynamically adjusts it.. When nv build these gpus they knew this or i bet we wouldn't see 1gb, 1.28gb and 1.5gb gpus.. All would be at least 1.5gb or more.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  17. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I'm "assuming" the 680 will be 2GB and the 670 somewhere in between 1.5-2GB range. Seems the most logical step to me, but then again life is not always logical.

18. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    @bz

no it goes to 1g then limits out the whole time if i move up settings.

i tried to keep it 200mb under so i could really see the max if i were to limit out all the 560's ram it would hard to tell.
    thats what puzzles me.
    when the card uses over got frame drops yes that are still over 40fps and not any BIG fps loss.....it does not just start to crawl because of the 1g topped out.
    i dont know if 16g system ram helps?

I have tested alot but just under 1080p(1600x1200)i have a bunch of screens with osd but no vids.

anyways a few games need the more ram so i hope even midrange cards get 2g or close to it.
    thats no not even mention all the game mods that add more ram use.

19. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX

hmmmm i remember bf had alot of memory leaks and ran piss poor but after a few patches it was all better and the game ran on anything.

so that texture streaming is a good thing i guess (for nv)
    thanks for the info you guys was ready to call shenanigans :)

x2 post much...who me?

20. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

@cowie

yes, that makes sense, the higher system memory would help but it's still going to be slower then if there was more vram, also the frame drops get worse as the vram requirement goes higher at higher settings/resolutions especially in MP.

Yeah also looking forward to some skyrim mods, game uses 900Mb vram at stock ultra settings/4xaa/1920x1200, i've added a few city/landscape texture mods and now it's gone upto 1300MB, once we get bigger texture overhauls I'd expect it to be higher due to the sheer size of textures. Also forcing AA from the control panel uses a lot more vram something like 1700MB with 4x SSAA and still maintain almost constant 50-60fps with drops to 40 at times.