Skyrim blew up my computer!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Naynt, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Naynt

Naynt Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor HD 6950
    Hi,

I was playing Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and then all of a sudden my computer shut down. After 10 seconds I heard a loud noise and smelled smoke near my power supply.
    Gigabyte 585W PSU
    Intel Core 2 E8400 3.0GHz
    Powercolor HD6950
    Ram: 3GB DDR3

My question is how might this have happened, as my powersupply is not even 5 months old, and whether my other components including my graphics card would be fried as well as a result?

Naynt

2. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    I would say it happened by because your power supply simply failed, probably no explanation. It had to one day just a shame it was sooner rather then later. The rest of your computer probably is fine but no one can say 100% till you get another psu in it and test. Make sure it is always on a surge protector.

3. CyberPaddy

CyberPaddy Guest

GPU:
    migty 8800GTX
    my pc sometime shuts down in skyrim too. i think it suckin too much power :S

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Exactly what power supply do you have? I can't find a Gigabyte 585watt unit listed anywhere. All I can find is a GE-P585A-C2...which is a 460watt PSU.

5. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    could be uncapped fps in menu thats causing this

i bet we see few similar threads in future

6. Naynt

Naynt Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor HD 6950
    http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/103839/P...P46AC2-21R.asp
    Gigabyte 585W ODIN - ATX 12V v2.2, 120mm Fan, RoHS, Sleeved Cabling

7. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Well even the "Uncapped fps in the menu" would simply max out the GPU usage regardless of the FPS, which *should* be fine if you have a gaming computer. I would say that his PSU would've failed eventually, it was just a matter of time ...

However, if the GPU usage was maxed out before the PC shut down ... there's a high chance that your video card is ****ed. Expect the worse, hope for the best.

Cheers.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Yes, that's the GE-P585A-C2.....which is only a 460watt power supply according to it's manufacturer (It's actually manufactured by FSP for Gigabyte)

9. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"

I blame both the PSU and the video card. The PSU is only 580w , you have a 6950 which should work fine with your current PSU. Was the fan spinning 100 percent while this happened. I think temps got really got like 100's c ,,,, They shouldnt go above 80'c ..... I think your GPU usage was a lot in skyrim and the fan might have not spun as fast as it should have... was the card OCed btw..

10. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    Gpu temp isn't going to fry a psu.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Scroll down to the very last post on this page (page 2 of that thread)....made by Makalu (yes, the same one that posted the PSU FAQ on this forum): http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6715&page=2

The PSU is rated for a maximum of 34A combined on the 12V rails....which given the last of proper labelling of outputs, I'd venture to guess that it's probably only capable of 24-28amps.....so, the OP was possibly overloading the unit.

His PSU isn't even a 585watt unit....it's a 460watt unit, as per FSP (who actually made the unit).

12. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    When you buy a new psu try to get something with over 40 amps on the 12v rail and make sure it is a very good brand (corsair, seasonic etc).

13. OneMustFall

OneMustFall Guest

GPU:
    PNY gtx 460 1gig
    Years ago i had that happen to me,it sounded like a 22cal going off then a bunch of smoke and that smell of burned plastic.Happened just outa the blue.Dont remember what all it killed but ill never forget that sound.

14. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Don't blame Skyrim for this, most of all, do not go their forums and bitch. You'll only look like an idiot.

15. Naynt

Naynt Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor HD 6950
    The title was meant as a joke. Such as the game was so powerful and epic that it made mince meat of my computer. I guess not everyone gets it.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011

16. Hemectu

Hemectu Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX465 SC -> 470 SC
  17. Mozaik

Mozaik Banned

GPU:
    Giga gtx 470@800
    You can have the most expensive PSU in the world and that is not going to exclude it from a natural possibility to give up the ghost.
    My 2 PSU have gone into the electrograveyard...

18. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Yes, that is true, which is why I budget a bit (just not TOO much) when it comes to PSU, got this one for £59.99 back in August/September 2010, been rock stable since (even when trying CrossFire)