The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim no crossfire support again

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by mao5, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Cant you use the version in the SysWOW64 folder instead?

2. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
  3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Hm, don't seem to get the smooth 60fps like the rest of you guys. Using High with 4xMSAA and 16xAF at 1920x1200. Tried the following:
    ¤ Turned off Vsync in ini
    ¤ Put atiumdag.dll in Skyrim folder
    ¤ Alt-tab in and out

In the prologue I mostly get 25-35fps according to MSI Afterburner. My cards are working at 50-80% and my VRAM is at 1400MB:ish.
    What more can I do to get a pleasant ride?

Oh, using 11.10 Pre3 with CAP4.

Edit - Swiched off CFX and my FPS got a nice boost up to 50-60fps outside and 45 fps in Riverwood. I would have solid 60 if CFX would have worked :'-(

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  4. asder00

asder00 Don Di Driver

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64 Liquid
    Game is poorly optimized cpu wise and uses only 2 cores. You must overclock it to get better performance.

5. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    dude, you don't get it. It's not about usage, CF works by default but it gives WORSE performance than when you disable it. Try it. If you are getting 50fps with default CF (no radeonPro forcing profile for CF), you will get 60+ if you disable it. You can even put 8xAA and compare CF enabled versus disabled and you will see even more of a difference.

Hope this clears it up. ;) Use radeonpro and force CF oblivion profile and you will get almost proper performance.

6. Russ369

Russ369 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FE
    Yeah except I have 2 6970's which destroy a 6990 let alone ur 5870's... Considering im getting worse performance than you means something is really wrong...

I noticed CFX kicks in really well in certain areas better than others (ie. Outdoor wide open areas and caves, as opposed to towns like riverwood)

7. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    destroy might be a bit of a hard word since you can only get as much as game engine allows and your CPU can can provide to GPUs. If you both run into a CPU wall, your 2x6970 ain't gonna work much better than 2x5870, if at all...

edit: I am getting similar performance as everyone else here does, more or less, with only 6770 in CFX and 4ghz c2d. ;) What I mean is I run ultra with 4xAA and those custom eyecandy stuff and have 45-60fps outdoors and indoors, and ~35-45 in towns. So I guess in this game only thing that's destroyed with 2x6970 is your wallet :D :)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  8. Russ369

Russ369 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FE
    You really think im going to encounter a "wall" with a 2500k o/c'd to 4.6ghz? Really?

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Thanks for clearing it up. Looks like I have to order my H70, new 1666MHz RAMs and a 850W PSU then :)

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    This partly solved my issue :) CF working great outdoors at pretty much 60fps but in towns it goes down to 30-35. Well, it's not that bad and I hope the upcoming CAP will fix this to 100% :p

11. onemoar

onemoar Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060SC @2250/4550
    skyrim doesn't need crossfire a single 6850 is more then enough to run this at insane settings

12. grimeleven

grimeleven Active Member

GPU:
    ATI 4870X2 2GB
    Try these drivers, http://www.f i l e s o n i c.com/file/3239932625/8.912-111103.7z (Nov 3 preview drivers)

f sonic url is banned so just rename it properly.

but don't install CAP4 on top, i had to re-install the drivers because of it, it broke CFX.
    GPUs will run at 99% all the time and should keep stable FPS.

Nonsense, Multicores CPUs are the way to go for Skyrim all the logical cores of my i7 are busy while playing, this SS is right after and alt-tab. [​IMG]

13. Marc05

Marc05 Guest

GPU:
    Radon HD 6990
    I have an HD 6990, would using the CAP4 (or any profiles) affect my performance, whether it'd be in Skyrim or BF3? From what I've seen so far, CAPs seem to affect only crossfire mostly (and maybe forcing a setting or two).

14. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI @ 1240/6772
    6990 is crossfire on a single card...

15. Marc05

Marc05 Guest

GPU:
    Radon HD 6990
    I'm aware that the 6990 is a dual GPU card, however, I didn't see any crossfire settings for it in the CCP like I have before, so I wasn't sure if the CAP would affect it or not. I guess I just thought that it had some sort of embedded crossfire which may not have been the same as having two different cards. All speculation at this point, that's why I'm asking!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011

16. asder00

asder00 Don Di Driver

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64 Liquid
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skyrim-performance-benchmark,3074-9.html
    Skyrim doesn’t appear to be optimized for more than two threads. Although this isn't a surprise, considering the original version of the game engine was developed prior to 2006, it’s a little disappointing that threading isn't more prevalent, since the title is so clearly affected by CPU performance.

17. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    yes, really. It depends on game engine, not just CPU speed or number of cores. This game in particular supports two cores only. You have tests on tech sites that confirm that x6 is working on par with x4 and even x2 phenom oc-ed a bit.

PS. I asked the same question when I got my c2d a few years back and oc-ed it to 4ghz. "c2d on 4ghz encounter a cpu wall, really?" Guess what - REALLY! :banana:

18. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    I think I already answered this in another topic, you have two threads spread over your 4 cores. When you see all four cores on 60+ percent usage at the same time then we can speak of 4 threads and your CPU being able to handle them very good :p

what you see in your graph is 2 threads, you could limit the game to use only 1 core on your cpu and you would see core 0 at 90-100% usage and all others at ~1% and game would run the same.

19. AtOmIC031

AtOmIC031 Guest

GPU:
    ATi Radeon 3870x2 1Gb
    I have an old 3870x2 Atomic Water cooled gpu , and crossfire is working normally(still shocked about that fact, coz usually I have tons of problems with new games) . I can play on high details no problem :)

20. Gregorez

Gregorez Guest

GPU:
    CFX MSI R9 290 Gaming 4G
    No, i checked that and after setting affinity to one core game runs on half FPS. Dropping from 52-60FPS to 24-29FPS. When i set affinity to core 1 and core 2 game runs normally, setting affinity above 2 cores don't have any effect.