BF3 Stuttering Fix 285.62

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by neckdart, Oct 25, 2011.

1. CrayonMirZ

CrayonMirZ Guest

GPU:
    SLi GTX 680
    Ill second that, even super extreme gaming pc with quad GTX 590 extreme super duper OC with avg 150 fps still has horrible stuttering even at lowest setting. Wtf

2. Phroster

Phroster Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4080 RTX
    It seems the issue is maybe related to , input more then performance.

When strafing left and right with the keyboard, i don't see any stutter, this only happens when moving the mouse.

Also heard of people that connect a xbox 360 controller and get smooth movement only with the controller.

3. ironhorse86

ironhorse86 Guest

GPU:
    BFG 295 GTX
    as i said above, its not just movement, and its not just mouse look. its the combination of them, I.e. "circle strafing" shows the symptom the best.

this does not lead necessarily to input since its non existent with older (Albiet faulty) drivers.. meaning its a driver issue first and foremost... which MAY be related to input. personally i believe its the syncing of frames and lack of parallelism between CPU and GPU, since it can be remedied using Nvidia's CPL Vsync ..as long as you maintain 60 fps or above.

EDIT:
    flashing bios to latest version did not resolve the issue.
    also used asus' driver manager online thingy to verify every component is up to date.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  4. Phroster

Phroster Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4080 RTX
    True that the older driver somehow fixes it, but every older version I tried so far crashes after a few minutes.

And to be honest, the stutter i'm getting is not unplayable, but just annoying. With vsync off this alot better, but still visible.

I also wonder, how many people actually can see the "stutter"
    Because there are people claiming it runs fine, on worse systems than mine or others.
    So this leads me to believe, that smooth is very subjective to the observer. :)

5. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    The Stuttering I am referring to happens to be once every other day. It is massive stuttering. I mean move your mouse and it jumps 5 feet. But I get micro stuttering all the time never can aim that last couple inches to the spot I want.

6. ironhorse86

ironhorse86 Guest

GPU:
    BFG 295 GTX
    found a STABLE workaround!!
    reverted back to 275.33 WHQL and the stutter is COMPLETELY gone!
    of course i lost about 20fps+ by doing this. but hey there's no artifacts or crashing and most importantly no massive stuttering.

in order to boost fps just a little bit i used force render ahead limit to 2, (since the default "-1" creates stutter as shown in the second video below) but as we know using this creates a slight input delay - so i used triple buffering as well.

there you have it.. stable workaround is reverting to 275.33. loss in performance but hey no stutter! (unless you use forcerenderaheadlimit -1 [the default])

(p.s. something interesting to watch, as always, has been render.perfoverlayvisible 1 graph thats at the bottom.. watch 2nd video and notice the spiking? this is the key to understanding whats going on)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRs8hsugm4c
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLF2uHQR97U

7. Phroster

Phroster Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4080 RTX
    Im going to try this when i'm home, but did you actually see how long it worked?

Because I played with a few older drivers also, but all of them crash after a while...

If it works, you saved my day :nerd:

8. Garone

Garone Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570
    I also have this stuttering even though I'm on an i5 without HT. It's not as extreme like it is for some people but still very disruptive.

9. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Make a text file in the root BF3 folder called "user.cfg" and inside type the following two lines;

RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 1
    RenderDevice.TrippleBufferingEnable 0

Save, close, and play.

See if you still get stuttering, and by the way, you should disable VSYNC if it's enabled.

10. ironhorse86

ironhorse86 Guest

GPU:
    BFG 295 GTX
    going on a few hours now. no stuttering finally. no crashing.
    (had the audio loop crash due to realtek audio onboard mobo so i went to best buy and spent 13$ on a crappy PCI-e soundcard. wala no crashes now)

had nooooooo idea MP was this fun / smooth. didnt know it was effecting me that much until it was gone

11. Aveon

Aveon Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2
    Hold on guys Nvidia has said it will release a new driver soon to sort out BF3 issues.
    Seems the last WHQL was put out in hurry to woo users.

12. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    285.64 & .69 are working just fine for me...in BF3.

13. Phroster

Phroster Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4080 RTX
    I still reverted back to 285.62, the 275.33 was a little better, still have to tweak the RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 1 or 2, and even then the stutter still randomly occurs,
    best fix so far for me is, no vsync, the stutter is almost not visible... but still there.

14. Garone

Garone Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570
    Helps a little but does certainly not fix it.

15. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    I know, stuttering is still there. :(

16. qqiiipp

qqiiipp Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 970
    Black screen, freezes and stuttering... man that is a broken game isn't it?
    Anywhore... anyone has an idea of when the new drivers that will magically fix most of the issues will came out ?

17. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Hopefully soon :p I'm more curious when a decent patch will come out for BF3 to be honest.

18. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Guys, I just downloaded 285.38 BETA (The ones for Battlefield 3 BETA) and I can confirm that stuttering has dissapeared (With Hyperthreading enabled :D) for both single GTX580 and 2 GTX580 in SLI.

I can also tell you the performance is exactly the same with these older drivers, so I am keeping these until they release newer proper drivers. :)

I suggest you to try them out, my friend with a Q6600 and a GTX570 claimed that these 285.38 Beta drivers work a lot better for him than the 285.62 WHQL. :D

Quite happy now, I can finally enjoy the game with Hyper-threading enabled.

19. ironhorse86

ironhorse86 Guest

GPU:
    BFG 295 GTX
    funny how ppl have different drivers that work depending on their gpu. 275.33 did it for me.

20. Aveon

Aveon Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2
    Stuttering issues >> Nvidia Issues.
    Black screens, crashes, TDR >> game developers issues.

I hope DICE is working with nvidia/ati to get things fixed accordingly

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011