ATI HD 6950 2GB 'Dirt 3' unlock

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by slippy1010, Sep 3, 2011.

1. geekdll

geekdll Guest

GPU:
    HD 6450
    That was happening to me maker sure after you set Trixx to what setting you want to have these Checked "Load on Windows Startup" "and start minimized" "and restore clocks"

2. kikstyo

kikstyo Guest

GPU:
    Ati 5770
    This is a pretty good card if you can unlock it to 6970 else i rather get a 560 TI.

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Why would you do that? The 6950 is much faster...

4. BigTnaples

BigTnaples New Member

GPU:
    Saphire 6950 2gb Dirt 3 E

I have this exact issue. I feel like an idiot as my card showed shaders unlocked as soon as I flipped the switch, but I flashed anyways. Now my card is unstable.

Anyway to revert that mistake? I downloaded some of the bios's posted here, but I am lost as to how to get them running.

Thanks in advance.

5. Djin0

Djin0 Guest

GPU:
    Hi guys can anyone help...

I am following the steps and when it comes these steps:

8. Type "atiwinflash -f -p 0 modified-bios-shaders_2.rom"
    9. The flash completed successfully and prompted to shutdown/reboot.

I see a progress bar which dissapears half way to the end and NO prompt to shutdown/reboot?

I have the 20G version if that helps.

6. aernouts

aernouts Active Member

Hello all

I have the exact same problem as the poster above !
    Any idea's ?

Thx in advance

7. Djin0

Djin0 Guest

GPU:
    Guys please help, because its possible its not flashing the gfx card or it has and i have a card that doesn't unlock.

8. Djin0

Djin0 Guest

GPU:
    Dude I was just about to RMA my card and thought let me just check again and I popped the card back in, switch the switch back to position 2 (furthest away from crossfire connector) and checked GPU-z and lo and behold the shaders are now UNLOCKED!!!!

I guess it did flash then.

Just to confirm I have 11188-05-20G version which doesnt come in the Dirt 3 box! (although it was advertised as 50G version)

I hope you get yours unlocked too but try switching the switch back to the first position, boot up, shut down, switch back to second position, boot up and check GPU-Z... good luck

9. Djin0

Djin0 Guest

GPU:
    Another thing I wanted to add, the only thing i did different this time round was I didnt install the drivers on the CD that came in the box... I simply put the card back and let windows 7 do its driver thing and went ahead and check GPU-Z

10. Rhezuss

Rhezuss Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0
    But you did install AMD 11.10 drivers froms AMD website right?

11. Crucible

Crucible Guest

GPU:
    Asus Tuf 4090 OC
    Just wanted to confirm. I bought the card from Newegg on 10/31/11 and it did in fact have the bios switch. I flipped it before ever installing the card. Right after bootup I ran GPU-Z and it showed all the shaders unlocked. I already had another 6950 unlocked installed, so no need for drivers. Kudos to Sapphire for this card.

Don't listen to the instruction in the first post. All you need to do is flip the bios switch and NOTHING ELSE. Sapphire included a shader unlocked bios with all of these cards at the factory.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  12. Djin0

Djin0 Guest

GPU:
    No I didn't, thanks for reminding me doing it now!

I am not sure its as simple as flipping the switch in most cases... that was the first thing I tried and the shaders didn't unlock until I followed the instructions in the first post.

13. Demiblade

Demiblade Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6950x2
    Hi all. I registered here just to share about my experience regarding this. I just bought two Sapphire 6950 'Dirt 3' cards, both together from the same shop in Singapore Sim Lim Square to build my new PC.

I came across this thread. Tried switching the jumpers to 'custom' position away from xfire cable. One card, card A, simply shows unlocked shaders 1536 in GPU-Z. The other, card B, simply stayed the same at 1400. I happily left the card A untouched since it unlocked itself.

I followed the instructions on the first page to flash BIOS for the card B. It does not unlock. I also tried switching the jumper back to 'original' position. Still does not work. I also tried keeping just one card in the system to flash instead of two crossfired just in case. I tried flashing on different PCE-e slots. I even went as far as copying the factory unlocked custom BIOS from card A, and flashing it on card B. None works.

My conclusion is that there are some units that come unlocked from factory just by simply switching your jumper to custom position. There are some units that simply would not unlock no matter what you do. There might be some units that unlock after a BIOS flash, but I have yet to own one. For now, I am just happy to use the unlocked one as primary, and locked one as secondary in my CrossFire setup.

Card A
    [​IMG]

Card B
    [​IMG]

P.S. [Overclocking] If you are in the same situation as me with one unlocked and one locked cards on CrossFire setup, and wants to OC them, make sure to UNCHECK 'Synchronize Cards in Multi-GPU Configs' and OC them by using the drop down list to choose each card to OC. The unlocked card with different shader count seems to behave differently from the locked one in terms of OCing. After all the tweaking, I decided the instability (especially AFTER the unlocking) and the heat is simply not worth the extra performance on a reliable gaming rig that does not ever crash. I now run both unlocked and locked cards at stock clock speeds and voltages! And yes, the performance gain from one unclocked card makes a difference on benchmarks for me.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  14. aernouts

aernouts Active Member

Thx guys for all the answers.

It seems to be i am one of the unlucky ones (as always :bang:)..
    I did try everything and i mean EVERYTHING to unlock it but no succes :stewpid:

Although i did read somewhere (i cannot remember where) that it is possible to unlock it with bios switch to the 1 position (closest to crossfire connector) but... the *bios is not erasing* error is the problem with this way of doing it .......
    there seems to be a way of getting around this too... hehe i know its stupid but i still have bios 2 for backup .. lol.

Anyone ?

*EDIT*
    Ahh yeah i forgot to say its easy to flash bios 2 (furtest away from crossfire connector) i did edit the bios with higher clocks... flashed it, etc and that seems to work.. so flashing works just unlocking does not :biggun:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  15. Lupus 90

Lupus 90 Guest

GPU:
    Xfire HD 6950 unlocked
    Thanks for this thread!

just wanted to confirm that my Xfire HD6950's (dirt3 edit.) have unlocked shaders by using the little switch. i'm verry pleased, cause now i dont have to flash my bios :D

grtz

16. Djin0

Djin0 Guest

GPU:
    guys I have a problem and I am curiuos if anyone else is experiencing the same:

My card is unlocked and I have modified the Core Clocks and Memory Clocks to 880 and 1375 respectively, however once restart my PC my settings go back to 800 and 1250. I even tried saving the profiles which save but i still go back to default settings after a reboot?

Also should the voltage be upped to 1150? I am constantly crashing in Crysis 2 with the new clock n memory settings :(

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  17. Lupus 90

Lupus 90 Guest

GPU:
    Xfire HD 6950 unlocked
    I've got the voltage op to 1175mV, core 880Mhz and memory at 1375Mhz
    These are the stock setting of the HD 6970's and it works fine for me.
    with lower voltage i'm getting artifacts.
    using Sapphire trixx to OC.

mvg

18. Gil80

Gil80 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2x R9 290 4GB
    No more unlocking :/

hi guys.
    Yesterday I've purchased Sapphire HD6950 2GB Dirt3 edition and I don't have the dual bios switch! :/
    I think that's it for unlocking this video card :/

Is there a way to "unlock" it by OC it to the same or better specs as the 6970? I would appreciate your help on this.

P.S. - I have a DVi cable that can only work on one DVI connector on that video card, is that normal?

19. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    Are you sure you're not seeing the switch. Look at this picture and check again.

[​IMG]

20. Gil80

Gil80 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2x R9 290 4GB
    Yes!!! :) I've found it! thanks :) it so small...

I only had to switch the knob and then I saw in GPU-Z that it's already has the 6970 bios cause the shader is at 1536 like 6970 but with the 6950 timings.
    Should I change the clock and voltages like 6970? (880/1375/1.15v)

Or should I change the power setting to +20% in catalyst control center?