Bulldozer fizzle?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Mikcannon, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Mikcannon

Mikcannon Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX980 Strix w/c
    I just read a review of the FX-8150 on Xbit Laboratories.
    It seems that the Bulldozer is just a small step above the PhenomII.

I'll be hoping for an increase in upgrade funds so I can buy a 2600K. And a motherboard to go with it.
    That's sad, coming from a bloke who has been an AMD fanboy since late 1995.
    :cry:

2. f14dude

f14dude Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Ventus 3X
    I was also one of them who waited for the arrival of the Bulldozer for my cousin's upgrade from his old Core to Duo 8300 and end up getting the I7 2600K yesterday since there just isn't any benefit to pickup the AMD FX 8150 which is about the same price as the I7 2600K (got it from a local Microcenter for $279 this week) and much slower (for gaming). I'll probably pick up the same thing sometime early next year for my new upgrade as well since there just isn't any real reason to stay with AMD anymore... and I've been using the AMD processor since the Thunderbird 850MHZ chip.

3. ah1zghost

ah1zghost Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 960-4G
    I'm exactly in the same boat. I want to support AMD, but it's tougher, and tougher to find reasons these days.

I'm happy with my current system, but when it comes time to build another I'm going Intel unless AMD gets their ducks in order.

4. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    maybe buy one when its at a reasonable price -25 -30% or support it through gpus?

Imo Southern Islands gpus 79x0 are gonna be one tough mofo, more than Nv Kepler lol:banana:

5. Mikcannon

Mikcannon Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX980 Strix w/c
    My current rig has the 965 so I can see Windows 7 as my only update for the next 12 months.
    Oh yeah! A GTX 580 to go with it.
    The Bulldozer is only good for people who want to stay with AMD and get the appropriate MoBo.
    I would rather buy the AMD 980 and use an appropriate MoBo, but what I got precludes me from a real update for a long time.
    Bulldozer wanters .... beware ....:wanker:

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Under Windows Services, does the 'Thread Ordering Server' have any different effect on the Bulldozer performance? Its disabled by default. Apparently when enabled it prevents the computer from going into sleep mode for more than 5 seconds, however, if it does actually provide better performance it wouldn't be too hard to come up with a little utility that disabled it when entering sleep mode and re-enables it when back out of sleep mode.

Just a passing thought, in most likelihood it won't make a scrap of difference, but in the case of the Bulldozer everything is worth a try!

7. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Have that enabled manually, doesn't help any non-server related apps afaik.

deltatux

8. jellysheep

jellysheep Guest

GPU:
    Elitegroup GTX 570
    Bulldozer didn't fail. Zambezi did.

9. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    I was in the same boat waiting for bulldozer and then being very disappointed. I replaced my AMD X4 9950 about 3 weeks ago with an i5 2500k and the difference was night and day. I really find it hard to like AMD right now. If they can again in the future release a processor that can compete with Intel I will gladly switch back to them, but that's not going to happen for a few years now. You're loss AMD.

10. 01 Vlatce

01 Vlatce Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD6770 DC
    Disappointed AMD fan (not fanboy) here too.
    Bulldozer failed, it's a fact.
    I'm so happy because i didn't bought Gigabyte 990FX before Bulldozer release, although i was planned that.
    I moved to Sandy Bridge.

11. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Guest

GPU:
    With intel's SB-E chipset out Dozer will be simply destroyed in performance. Although yes, pricewise SB-E looks to be for high-end only.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Sandy Bridge-E being released has no bearing on Bulldozer as they are in completely different markets.

Sandy Bridge-E = high-end, enthusiast
    Bulldozer = mainstream, mid-range

Bulldozer is in the same market segment as the Core i5 2300, 2400, 2500, Core i7 2600 and 2700.

13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The next iteration of Bulldozer could possibly compete with Intel, although no PCI-E 3.0 kinda sucks, but from what I have read about the 3rd gen Bulldozer and Intel Haswell, like I wrote over in that thread, I think AMD may recapture the higher end and 'mainstream enthusiast' (say, those with the i5-2500K/i7-2600K, HD6950/GTX 570 etc cards) market as Intel targets the typical mainstream and low end market.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    AMD has publicly stated that they have no intention of trying to compete with Intel in the high-end market. Also, you can't look at the specs of a processor and judge it's performance.... On paper, Bulldozer is considerably more impressive than Sandy Bridge.....

15. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    On paper, communism is considerably better than capitalism. However, we don't live in on paper land.

Ah, on paper land, where everything happens as it was detailed. Then reality check tech comes and beats the crap out of everyone.

16. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I was another who waited for Bulldozer, to see it fail like it did was a bit predictable as with the issues at GF, the multiple delays, and the hush, hush from AMD I kind of figured as much. Truth is, ever since I moved to my 2600k, I don't know why I waited. Another thing is that since moving back to Intel, all the praise I see surrounding Bulldozer is from a bunch of misinformed enthusiasts, or blinded fanboys stuck in their own little world. From now on until AMD makes some significant changes to how they do things I'll be keeping my 2600k and sticking with Intel.

17. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    There's a reason why I didn't jump on an AM3+ socket motherboard when they launched and I save my own ass doing so. Now to wait for Ivy Bridge before doing a CPU upgrade.

deltatux

18. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Poor AMD. Ivy Bridge is going to be a die shrink of Sandy Bridge. It's going to consume less power, generate less heat, and perform 20% better.

Sandy Bridge already has that advantage over Bulldozer. Ivy Bridge is going to further increase that advantage. Not nice. :p

19. Gotenks64

Gotenks64 Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY Nvidia 560
    I was disappointed myself by bulldozer:(

20. freeman_999

freeman_999 Member

GPU:
    6970 2GB
    Bulldozer fizzle?
    It sure did :bang:

What will the X86 processor landscape look like in 5 yrs time? will Amd be around in any important way? or will their fabs be producing low end stuff for mobile devices or something.

I don't want to sound too gloomy but Intel's products are already a generation ahead - all AMD can do now is re-tool the dozer into something more usefull which means dumping more $$$ into trying to compete with Intel; and we all know that AMD has been punching above its weight for some time. Another way to look at it for the intel guys is that they also pay for BD by having to pay more than one would reasonably assume.

Are we looking at a 1 processor future back to Wintel (and I mean that with no disrespect to Intel they are the only choice worthy of $$$ and have been for some time now...)

Every PC build has been AMD Athlon1700+ -> AMD64 3200+ -> PII965 but I can't see anything but intel being in my boxes from here on out

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011