New build - What else can I add?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Crucible, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Crucible

Crucible Guest

GPU:
    Asus Tuf 4090 OC
    Came down with a cold the day everything came in. I am lucky I was willing to put everything together. I can work on cable management later.

As for metro 2033, it is the same folder from my old pc. I also never used any special profiles before. I will fix it later for sure.

2. raif

raif Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr GTX 980
    your not a guinea pig, a 2700k is just a 2600k with 100 more mhz, not a new architecture.

3. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    Sure thing ! hope you get better ! It will help with the cooling after you managed those cables a bit.
    I beleieve that the catalyst profiles help quite a bit with crossfire setups, havent tried 'em myself as I got a simple card solution and always had.

4. Crucible

Crucible Guest

GPU:
    Asus Tuf 4090 OC
    Nevermind, crossfire works now.

I figured out the problem. The 6970 I just got is running at over 100 degrees at 100% fan speed. It is throttling itself. I guess I am returning this defective pos.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011

5. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    Though it is a very high temp, if the 2nd GPU isn't actually working it shouldn't even heat up!
    Doesn't look defective though, tried switching them?
    Crossfire should always be with same video cards, maybe having one flashed bios is causing incompatibility or at least instability.
    Even though it is enabled, cat. profiles should help in this cases. check both cards temps and run furmark

6. Crucible

Crucible Guest

GPU:
    Asus Tuf 4090 OC
    You missed my last reply. Crossfire is working now. The overheating one is GPU 1, not 2.

The 6970 runs at 100% fan speed at 100% gpu core, at 100 degrees celsius, then throttles down to maintain 100 degrees.

The 6950 runs fine at 50-60 degrees at 100% gpu core and 50% fan speed.

Anyways, I have already printed the newegg ups return label. Sad thing is, I spend over 12k in the last year from newegg and they won't even give me a 50 dollar discount for a new 6970. I guess I am buying my replacement from Amazon with overnight shipping for $3.99 extra.

The reason I asked for it is because the video card I bought was an open box deal for 250. If it was returned once as defective, they should not have resold it. Just imagine if I did not have a spare video card to use.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  7. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    Ok, as I said before, have you tried switching the 6950 to 1st and the 6970 to 2nd?
    If you RMA don't they return you with a working replacement?
    That's other reason I don't buy online...

8. Crucible

Crucible Guest

GPU:
    Asus Tuf 4090 OC
    Sorry, I forgot to point out that I bought an open box one for $250. That is why I wanted the 50 off a new one. It would be half way between, which is fair in my opinion since they knowingly resold a defective card.

9. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    Lol, I would never do that !
    But hey, that's me. Anyway, sooner or later you'll have your build up and running perfectly and you'll be drooling over your keyboard over the massive power of those cards in crossfire :)

10. Hemectu

Hemectu Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX465 SC -> 470 SC
    Back lighting for your Monitors - reduces eye strain, balances contrast and brightness your eye sees, no need for random house lamp.

Hooker... always keep one in the event of an emergency.

11. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    what kind of hooker u talkin' about?

12. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Not a fan of tidy cables I see? :D