Build quality; Corsair VS G.Skill

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mkilbride, Oct 27, 2011.

?

Quality

1. Corsair

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. G.Skill

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  3. Same quality.

18 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    So bad it's good.
    At first it hurt to read, then I just lol'd.

One thing I learned a while back is :
    When you think you're right, don't push too hard - because every so often you're actually wrong.

IIRC I read somewhere that g-skill is the biggest ram seller in the retail (non-oem) market.

-scheherazade

2. iako

iako Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580 LIGHTNING
    I've recently had to RMA a 6GB kit of Corsair 1600MHz C7 Dominators because one of the modules shows up as being a 1333MHz C9 module in both CPU-z and EasyTune.

It has the dominator heatsink with the 1600 C7 sticker on it but it just isn't what it says it is.

2 pence worth.

3. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Well this went swimmingly. The guy I was talking about who I made this poll over is now telling him I am 'slandering' his business, and I'm in trouble at the forum where this started. Sheesh, it was meant to be a discussion and found out some numbers. Now he's going on about me slandering him and whatnot, threatening the ban hammer.

Can't have a simple discussion anywhere these days, it seems.

4. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    I know the feeling lol...

5. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Well, unlike you man, I don't start saying everyone is retarded but myself. I accept the fact that I am retarded. That makes all the difference in the world, if you did that, less people would be fighting you all the time.

6. iako

iako Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580 LIGHTNING
    Wow... what's..ur ....

...wow..

..sorry 'bout that bro :leave:

7. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    It is what it is...

As for your problem, well you do bring a lot of this onto yourself. Look at your Origin thread for example. You posted FUD about Origin concerning them making you pay for your account biyearly or however it was worded or we would all lose our game collections. You provided no links or sources to back this claim up even when asked several times and you pretty much just ignored the thread after you posted it. So I can see this guy getting upset with you because you do in fact slander things. What you did in that Origin thread is a form of slander is it not?

I get people worked up because I am not always nice the way I decribe things. But a spade is always a spade. I do not like candy-coating anything. If it looks like a turd it is a turd. If it is FUD it is FUD. That sort of thing. In your case you acused Origin of doing X but provided no proof for X. That would offline get you sued in court, at least here in Canada.

8. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Funny, you seemed to think differently in that Bulldozer thread. I used to think you were just misinformed, but some of the crap you've flooded the forum with lately has me convinced you're outright taking the piss.

As for the OP: I'd rate both around the same. I've never had a problem with either brand.

9. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    Everything I post is based on common sense logic. If it isn't I will never post it...

10. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Ah, now we can officially say he's trolling. It was suspect before, but it is known now, he just admitted to it.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You've neither mentioned his name, nor his business's name....so, exactly how is it slander?

12. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    I said the same, now he's just cursing me out. Calling me a condescending kid and whatnot. That's just how it is. He's kinda like maleficarus, even though that's a heavy insult, in that he always believes he is right and is unwilling to try new things, and says that G.Skill is "Unknown".

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Sounds like he needs to grow up.... I've personally only ever owned 1 set of Corsair XMS2-800.....it was honestly a bad experience. I'll probably never buy from them again. I've had 2 sets of G.Skill now and have been pleased with them. I've had 1 set of Patriot and 2 sets of Wintec AMPO.... I use whatever is cheapest at the time, that I haven't had a bad experience with. According to a Wiki article, G.Skill has been selling ram for 8 years....though I can't find anything to verify this and G.Skills own site seems to imply they've been doing it since 1989.... Corsair has only been selling ram for 9 years.... If you go by the company's experience, he should be using Kingston or Micron....

14. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Just let the facts that I quoted in my post speak for themselves:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4142086&postcount=9

15. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Nothing can be done about it now, we ended the discussion with him just telling me to watch my ego or some such thing. He says that G.Skill hasn't even been around long enough to be trusted...so I dunno. He's a weird one. Also said that if didn't correct the post or whatever, he'd come over here and "correct everybody".

He's just stuck in his ways, and even facts won't sway him.

16. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Tell him that he's welcome to come here and "correct" us, I'm always ready to admit I'm wrong.

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Tbh I think the IC brand is just as important as the name on the label...

[​IMG]

18. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

Well there are only so many brands these days that take care of the consumer market, and most distributors end up using the same or similar chips.

19. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I like both G.Skill & Corsair. Either one I would buy, my first two choices.

However I was forced to buy Corsair over G.Skill since in Dubai (where I currently live) do not have G.Skill in the market. :(

At first I wanted this one:

8GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz RipjawsX Series for Sandy Bridge (8-8-8-24)

I was not able to get it and therefore got 8GB Corsair Vengeance PC3-12800 1600MHz CL8...

Anyway as I said either of the top 2 would be my 2 first preferences of ram.

I've had G.Skill ram in the past when I used to live in the UK, used several different ones... I can honestly say I've NEVER had any problems with them.

I've however had several bad experiences with OCZ & many times with Corsair.

Luckily my current Corsair hasn't YET given me any trouble. :)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    While it's true that similar chips are used, there can be quite a variation in the chips used by one company as shown in this example:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    http://ramlist.i4memory.com/ddr3/