Apple is at it AGAIN

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Little, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Android also have a larger share because they're on crap phones for $100, to really expensive phones.

Apple doesn't have multiple phones from Multiple Hardware Manufacturers.

So it's not really surprising that Android is quickly taking over Market Share. I've always said.

It's a shame we don't have access to people who were Apple, and have moved to Android, and Vice Versa. They would be more interesting figures.

Out of all the Staff and users I look after. I've seen more go from Android to Apple than Apple to Android, or any other OS.

That's personally the trend I've noticed more than anything.

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If you want market share.....compete for it. Apple wants to completely control the smartphone market, but that will never happen with their prices or with carrier prices. My old Blackberry cost me $120USD/month for service. I've come to the realization that my cheap LG flip phone has all the features I need/use and it only costs me $45/month. To get an iPhone....I'm looking at $112/month plus taxes, or roughly $120 per month again, just to use a phone that Apple wants complete control over. For a Blackberry Torch, I'd be looking at $95/month plus taxes. For an Android phone, I'd be back around $120/month.... That's what I was paying for my BlackBerry 4 years ago....yet, I had an unlimited data plan back then. Current Android and iPhone plans at $120/month (give or take a few) for 5GB alotment.

If Apple wants to control the smartphone market, they need to sell multiple models to fit each price segment....and providers need to rethink their pricing strategy.... $10/gb ($50/month for 5GB) is just flat out stupid.

3. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    A lot of that like you said is service providers rates and based on your location.

I was just pointing out that Android have such a large market share so quickly is because it's on everything.

Also wasn't Google counting activations as an Android device.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Don't know. Apple was counting iOS activations, non-device specific, and claiming them as iPhone activations at one time.

5. Stromgold

Stromgold Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    This.

Are iphones nice? Sure. Will they ever have the market share they once had, or the majority of the market? Nope.

Android is growing by leaps and bounds. The fact that they cater to a larger, more diverse market is absolutely why, and it makes perfect sense. Everyone's needs are different. Imagine if a GPU company only made 1 vid card which was high end, priced at 500.00, and only they manufactured them. Meanwhile, another company made low to high-end cards with various prices and performance options, and had multiple manufacturers from which to buy them (such as EVGA, MSI, Asus, etc.). The company with more options would win the market in short order.

Also, people hate tyrants, which is exactly what Apple are making themselves out to be. Suing a cafe, and photoshopping evidence in court, and other such non-sense is rediculous. The only thing worse than a loser is a sore loser.

You can say all you want that "oh, its just good business..", but fact is, it is not. They are desperate, and sinking to petty squabbles to try to maintain their share of the market, and the world is watching. If you can't beat 'em, sue 'em, eh? LOL I think we all know how that will pan out.

As others here have said, its only a matter of time before all these companies are going to come together and turn the game around on these shoddy so-called business practices.

6. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Not an argument, but can you link to something that Apple claim to have invented that has already been invented by someone else? Not wanting a link to fanboy site though, just a factual one.

Agreed and Apple dont want to.

If Apple wanted to compete and 'take over the world' then why not just produce cheaper lesser products to compete with the lower end up to the higher end? That would make sense to me, being able to stake a place at every level of the market. But they dont, they let other companies fill these gaps.

7. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    It is an argument, Apple claims to have invented the 'rectangular' tablet, which is a whole load of crap because there is PLENTY of prior art (most notable Stanley Kubricks 2001: A space odyssey) which makes the patent superfluous and stupid.

Superfluous and stupid is exactly the kind of behaviour we have from apple, weak ass patents on things which should not have been approved in the first place (really hand gesture to unlock?).

Also lets assume for a microsecond that the patents were sound (example an innovative way of handling threads in an OS scheduler). Apple would still be superfluous and stupid because instead of seeking rightful compensation (such as Microsoft's licensing program) they use the patents as legal clubs to beat on the heads of the competition.

They don't "let" other makers fill the void, they can't because it would attack the core fundamental values of apples marketing spin "Upmarket, hipster and different". cannot imagine apple even trying to pull the **** they do in the value market segment because it wouldn't work.

8. mandex

mandex Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5770
    It's marketing, it's brand, it's apple way. There is no cheap apple way.

9. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    Wonder how much money they had to spend for this.

10. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Since the Iphone 3g, the carriers have had control of the rates for the Iphone.

The Iphone also uses the same plans that other phones use, Sprint's Everything Data 450 at $79.99 a month will be $79.99 a month(Plus the $10 smartphone surcharge) for the Iphone 4, Iphone 4s, Samsung Epic Touch 4g, and HTC Evo 3d. Same goes for AT&T for the Torch, Iphone, etc etc, same with Verizon. The plan rates are not dependent on the phone, they are dependent on the phone type. But let's look at plan rates for the carriers that officially have the Iphone now.
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/plans/?page=single
    Iphone 4-$99
    Iphone 4s-$199
    Mind you, Verizon has LTE devices at $300, more than the Iphone.
    http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/plan/plan_wall.jsp?INTNAV=ATG:HE:Plans
    Iphone 4-$99
    Iphone 4s-$199
    http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...cell-phone-plans.jsp?wtSlotClick=1-0060AN-0-2
    Iphone 3gs-Free with contract
    Iphone 4-$99
    Iphone 4s-$199
    The 4s has HSPA+ I believe as well.

I would know all of this, I used to sell phones.
    Iphone 4s-$200

11. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Legitimate source, regarding Apple stating that they invented the rectangle tablet? I dont want to see some hater thread, but proper proof.
    Hell, they had rectangle tablets in Star Trek the next generation in the mid 80's.

It would appear that people hear a little bit of slander about Apple from haters and believe it all following the crowd of other haters without a shred of truth. Then these people call Apple owners 'sheep', lol.
    I will (and want to) believe what is being said, but want to hear quotes from the horses mouth and not from some hater.

12. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Ahh, so Dutch and German court papers are illegitimate? (It was their "we invented the rectangle" argument that got those courts to go heavy-handed on Samsung.

But I give in. Spending time talking to Apple iDiots is a waste of effort.

//Svein

13. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Hey PCthug. Notice they keep saying all these things but when it comes to providing links and proof other than "I remember it a long time ago"

It's "But I give in. Spending time talking to Apple iDiots is a waste of effort."

We hate Apple, so we're going to follow the rest of the sheep in hating Apple. They're as bad as the extreme fanboys.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I was actually looking at the plan rates for each phone as I was typing the post.

15. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Well this is the first time i have i have noticed someone mention about Dutch and German papers, guess i should have cleaned my crystal ball (or I may have over looked it).

Still yet to see the link for it though (I wait in anticipation).

When backed into a corner and asked questions that they struggle to answer, those who follow like sheep and are of little intellect (not aimed at anyone) resort to name calling. Its the only way they can handle it.

Not sure how i am an Apple idiot though. I do like my iPhone4, but i also liked my Samsung, Nokia, Sony Ericsson (so i must also be an idiot for liking them too). I am not sticking up for Apple, if they have done something stupid then more fool them, but i wont just believe it because some hater says thats what they did but cant provide real proof or a legitimate link (i will leave these beliefs for the sheep and haters).

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Apple fanboys do the exact same thing.....actually, have known apple fanboys to be a lot more rude in their postings in support of Apple....

17. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    It's not their act of filing patents that's in question, it's the things they are trying to gain patents on. and why would you file patents if you didn't create it in the first place?

18. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Absolutely, and so have I. As i said before, they threatened to ban me from the official Apple forums for being 'vocal' about how poor their service was and how the omission of certain things off the phone was crazy (MMS, forwarding texts etc).

However, on this occassion i am talking about Guru3D, where every thread that mentions Apple has haters all over it like sheep. Most of the time it may be unfounded or have no proof to back up claims. Yet threads with other makes of tech on dont get slated by Apple users.

19. Stromgold

Stromgold Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060

Here’s Apple’s list of trade dress elements it thinks Samsung is infringing:

Hardware and software trade dress claims:

•a rectangular product shape with all four corners uniformly rounded; really? LOL

•the front surface of the product dominated by a screen surface with black borders; yeah, that's an innovation Apple came up with.. LOL

•as to the iPhone and iPod touch products, substantial black borders above and below the screen having roughly equal width and narrower black borders on either side of the screen having roughly equal width; just .. wow..

•as to the iPad product, substantial black borders on all sides being roughly equal in width; again with this?

•a metallic surround framing the perimeter of the top surface; :wanker:

•a display of a grid of colorful square icons with uniformly rounded corners; what??!! colorful square icons? amazing idea!

•a bottom row of square icons (the “Springboard”) set off from the other icons and that do not change as the other pages of the user interface are viewed. sounds like any taskbar to me.. LOL

Packaging trade dress claims:

•a rectangular box with minimal metallic silver lettering and a large front-viewpicture of the product prominently on the top surface of the box; o m g

•a two-piece box wherein the bottom piece is completely nested in the top piece; holy crap! I hope they don't sue my grandmother for wrapping Christmas presents!

•use of a tray that cradles products to make them immediately visible upon opening the box; you have got to be kidding me.. sounds like every purchase I have ever made.

I guess they didn't learn their lesson from this case: http://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/c/F3/35/35.F3d.1435.93-16883.93-16869.93-16867.html

Next.. Apple sues nature for logo likeness in produce, Apple sues the inventor of the rectangle and all his descendants.. lol, Apple sues the inventor of the tv because that screen sort of dominates the front center view, and, my personal favorite, every company that has ever featured the product that they are selling on the front of the box that it comes in. :3eyes:

Oh.. sources:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...ding-with-nokia-htc-in-apple-patent-case.html

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/02/apple-vs-htc-a-patent-breakdown/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...ad_n_850778.html#s265804&title=iPad_vs_Galaxy

http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/36876/Apple-false-evidence-in-Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-101-injunction

http://www.computerworlduk.com/news...es-inaccurate-evidence-in-dutch-samsung-case/

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011...e-battles-apple-over-logo-dispute/?test=faces

+ lots more.. This took me about 10 minutes to find. Do some research without your fanboy goggles on. :nerd: It's pretty easy to find. :)

20. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    [​IMG]

Lovely nice white box. Big picture of the tablet on the front. All the icons in nice little rows. Other boxes don't look like Apples. So why does Samsungs?

That's a lovely connector too. Now where have I seen that before? I faintly remember people complain about Apples propietary connectors. And how they love everyone elses because it's just mini USB.

[​IMG]

Also those Articles, which I quickly read through. Where was the part where they had patents for Square tablets and round corners?

You've taken it out of context, because that's what they're suing Samsung over, because their devices are "too similar"

Are you going to sit there and tell me that they aren't? Because I've held a lot of Android tablets, and they are nothing like the iPad. Yet that Samsung really is a copy.

I was playing with an Acer Iconia the other day. Beautiful tablet. Really nice in the hand. Looks great. And it looked and felt nothing like my iPad. They don't feel the need to copy and still have a great tablet.

Oh, as for the disrepect about sticking my Fanboy goggles on. You are no better than any other fanboy out there. You show just as much disrespect as them. So get off your high horse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.