Fridge magnet poses security threat to iPad 2

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by PhazeDelta1, Oct 21, 2011.

1. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    more bad news for apple
    ok guys, lets keep the flaming to a minimum :nerd:
    Source

2. phill1978

phill1978 Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 1GB 5850@840/1140
    LOL do they even test their products? I know its an odd one but I bet this all spans from buying in a system rather than understanding it and developing it themselves, they just add the wrapper.

3. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    how can a company test for this lol
    list of tests. lock the device swipe magnet while shutting off then cancel. i mean dang.

4. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    but but Apple products are so secure LOL what a Fail

5. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    This.

I don't care what piece of software is out there, obscurities like this just can't be factored in a testing lab.

6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    May not be as grave as this, but fridge magnets have always been a thorn in technologies backside!

CRT monitors anybody? :D

But on topic, this isn't something that testing goes through. They don't just test anything random now. Testing at that point would cost way too much money, waste too much time, and by the end of testing it wouldn't be worth it.

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    wow..
    buys fridge magnets

8. raif

raif Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr GTX 980
    this +1, i wonder how they even came across it, must have been a complete accident. no one can anticipate everything, not even the almighty apple.

9. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    If it wasn't for Apple boasting about having the 'most secure OS' in the planet, they wouldn't get this kind of flak from this small mishap.

10. raif

raif Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr GTX 980
    they can boast whatever they want, but even you can agree with me that this "magnet lock picking" is way to obscure. if it was say, hold down the home button and flick the ipad to the left, 3 times and it unlocked the device, sure, i would get the flak (as that is really really easy to discover). but this? im betting a magnet just fell on the ipad and they noticed it was open.

11. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Its not a big deal,

but tbh if your device is being designed with a magnetic sensor then the effects of unexpected magnetic forces should be in your test case.

12. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Compared to some of the Windows Exploits I've seen over the years. I'd still say Apple are winning.

Anyone still remember the one where you just had to be connected to the Internet to get that virus? And you had to stop your computer from shutting down with the command prompt?

You literally had to do NOTHING to your computer and you got it.

13. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Apple's OS is also used very little compared to Windows. You know, people like to attack bigger things.

If Apple was the main OS and controlled most of the market, it'd have the most exploits, hacks, spyware, ect. Same with Linux.

Windows security is just as good as Apples, however, Windows gets attacked 3-4x as much, virus wise, than Apple does...so of course Apple is "more secure" they have far less attention.

14. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    On the other side of the coin.

Linux has been running servers for a very very long time, so attacks to Linux should of been massive. Yet the server attacks were still targeted towards IIS and Windows servers.

Go figure.

And to continue on from that. Apple have always been there shouting about how amazing their security is, which SHOULD be pissing a lot of people off, and in turn should have been getting a lot of people to target them to proove a point.

Yet after 10 years of OS X and them saying how secure it is because of the Unix underpinnings, they still haven't had the troubles Windows has.

No software is secure, doesn't matter who it is. You get bugs, you get weird hacks, you get people who are very creative in their attacks. It's how quickly those are fixed and addressed.

People just like to throw stones at Apple. Especially all the people living in glass houses.

I don't know why so many people so utterly despise a product so much. It's sad.

I will use any product that is going to reduce my workload and time spent on jobs and reduce my frustration. These are tools, not your mortal enemy.

15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I don't think I need to say that people have a beef with Apple because of their practices which end up slowing technological advance. I.E, their patent trolling. Right now they're suing how many companies? Google, Microsoft, Samsung, Nokia, HTC and a few thousand minor ones? You live in Australia so you're directly affected by Apple's latest victory over Samsung, they had to remove features because apparently it's possible to have viable patents as generic as breathing.

As for OS X... a 10 year old crippled derivative of FreeBSD... I'll pass. I'd rather use PC-BSD, at least that can support my video card.

16. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    The broken Patent system isn't Apples fault. It's your patents system fault.

It's not as if Apple are the only ones sueing, nor the ones who started it. Patent cases have been going on for a long time because it's such a broken system.

To try and make as much money as possible, there's always going to be legal battles. It's how big businesses operate.

17. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Obscurities like this has to be coded INTO the software. :bang:

//Svein

18. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Oh yeah, we still remember it.
    But this is 2011, though, where most Windows users already moved either to Vista or Win7, where it's nearly impossible to happen.
    Though I'd be very interested in an article that proves otherwise, I mean something like Sasser in Vista or Win7.

Coincidentally, 2011 also the year where Apple started to implement a crude application blacklist system.

So I guess Microsoft is improving while Apple is regressing OS-wise?

People still using the WinXP argument is like AMD users who use P4 argument against Intel on any SB vs BD debacle.
    Yes, it happened, it's a fact, but now is now.

19. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Just pointing out that people like to throw stones at Apple, meanwhile people give passes to other software companies.

It's a complete and utter joke sometimes. I'm really not sure what it is about people hating on Apple.

Maybe it's their arrogance in their products, or maybe it's just they continue to climb in market share and popularity.

20. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    I do not get why you have to defend apple at every corner.

They are worse then RAMBUS when it comes to patent trolling and I never saw anyone defending them.

Also its not as random as you might assume, I'm guessing the guys who figured it out were going through the software routines and realised that certain parameters of the capacitive (which with all things with fields magnets can interact) are subject to special code (such as an ISR).

You think these guys just ran a load of random tests? because THAT certainly doesn't make sense.