A Gun Thread - Short Thread

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by "Born"_*Leader*, Nov 19, 2009.

?

How many people here own guns?

1. Yes

5.2%
  2. Yes x1

5.9%
  3. Yes xMore than 1

27.5%
  4. None

61.3%
  1. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I was thinking of picking up a gun for my Dad. I haven't asked if he still has the revolver I remember when I was a kid. What would a Dad like?
    When we were at a resturaunt, he saw a guy open carrying a gun. He said Colt 45, but my I couldn't tell from that far. I wanna pick him up a 45ACP. Thinking S&W M&P 45 or an FNH FNP like mine, but in 45?

Also a side story is I just introduced my Dad to LED flashlights, and now he likes them. He has always used old baton style incandecent flashlights. I picked up a cheapo ($18) Coleman 75 lumens LED flashlight for the boat, and if he thought that was bright, wait until he see's 150-250 lumens!
    He said he liked the baton style flashlights for fighting, but now tactical flashlights come with the striker bezels for jabbing opponents. He's going to love those, especially since many new ones can strobe.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  2. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Donno about your dad, but an authentic luger is a great gift, and won't devalue.

-scheherazade

3. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    Not a gun but just fitted a sight and stabilizer to my bow- hoping to achieve more gun like accuracy XD

[​IMG]

4. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Take a look at the Pardini GT45-6" before you make a decision. A real accurate piece of kit, and a joy to shoot.

//Svein

5. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    [​IMG]

That's how the HW100TK (.177 FAC) looks kitted up.

//Svein

6. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

I know, I was also introduced to 125+ lumen LED flashlights in the Army, my god were they bright. I also always had to manually strobe (release pressure slightly and then increase), so imagine my glee when I found out that they finally made it built-in on the new ones. Now all I have to do is find money for one.

7. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    My Nitecore flashlight came in :)
    www.nitecore.com/goods_detail.php?id=9.
    It was $57 and came in a fancy padded box. It is about 150 lumens, it can strobe, high/low output, and only uses one AA battery! Took me days of research to decide on it. I didn't want a C123 battery powered flashlight because those batteries get expensive to use. I have my flashlight on me and use it everyday at work, so C123's would rape me.

Also earlier I talked about a 1911, and saw this!
    www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/1911-scorpion.aspx.
    DAAAAYM. I want to get this one for my Dad, but not in desert tan.

8. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Nice. I personally used the FAB-Defense Speedlight in the army:

My god was it bright, only downside was that it ate through batteries; thank god some of the other army equipment also used CR123s (so I could scrounge them) otherwise I would not have been able to afford the upkeep. I used it in conjunction with this:

Funny thing was that if you took it off the rifle, it looked like a pistol with the flashlight attached and all.

The best mounting system I found was this:

What was great was that I could saw it down to fit only exactly where I needed it and nowhere else. You can also screw it into any part of the handguards (you just need to drill them out) so can fully customize exactly what you need.

Here is a picture of all of them together on my former rifle (urban setup):

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  9. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    When you're deciding what torch to buy on the basis of it making a good weapon, do you not just stop and think, dear god I need to move out of whatever godforsaken **** hole I live in?
    Just an observation.

10. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    LOL, man has a point. The guy who buys the torches with the ragged edges meant to hit people is probably going to walk around with the ARES backpack:

http://youtu.be/kEFgTRfcniI

11. peanutmanak47

peanutmanak47 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I couldn't do that. I remember they gave us grips in the USMC for our A4's and I couldn't stand it because it just felt so weird holding it like that.

Nice looking gun though.

12. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You just have to learn how to hold it with the grips. You don't put your entire hand on the grip, rather you put it right in the indent (90 degree angle) the grip creates:

[​IMG]

The only times I griped it in it's entirety was when running or going around corners.

But I understand what you are saying, one of my officers also couldn't get used to a foregrip.

Here was the configuration I ended up using for most of my army service, I found that it worked best in nearly any situation. There should be a A.R.M.S. Iron backup sight behind the Trijicon like on the previous picture, I don't know why it's not on in this picture:

[​IMG]

Funnily enough, for a weapon light I used this kind in the end:

[​IMG]

Cheap, lightweight and I couldn't care less if it breaks. Plus, I could carry several on me so if I had a problem with one I would toss it and just put in a new one. Only downside was that it wasn't so bright, but still plenty for lighting up a room (I had a night vision scope for all other times).

13. peanutmanak47

peanutmanak47 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Holy **** how can you hold it like that!?!?!?!?!?! I have to hold it around the magazine well. I like to have it tight and compact to limit my sway and maximize quickness in movement. I can hold it like they teach you in the marines with holding it at the base of the handgaurd, but i only held it like that when doing the long distance ranges. Up close I have to have it compact.

To each there own lol. I need to by me an AR-15, would look nice next to the AK-47

14. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Just an opinion, but you really should take a look at how the IPSC guys (and gals) handle their AR-15 rifles. There's a reason why they handle them this way.

//Svein

15. peanutmanak47

peanutmanak47 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I googled it and didn't find a reason. Please feel free to post information about why it is.

I didn't even know what IPSC was till I googled that.

16. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Control over the firearm. Period.

You really should look a bit more at what IPSC, especially the rifle bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHUxtnLyTZk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vxhxqA81hw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ7LaJ0xuAI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcFGHx-aSHY

etc.

Those guys _COMPETE_ in firearm control.

//Svein

17. peanutmanak47

peanutmanak47 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970

Hmm very interesting. They don't seem to be holding as dramatically as the picture above. I mean they seem to be holding it just like anyone would when trying to take skilled shots at any distant range. Next time I shoot my AK, I'm going to give it a whirl.

18. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm not sure you should hold it the same way with an AK, the recoil control is completely different in my opinion.

Google some videos of these pros shooting AKs to see the best way to hold it (for target shooting).

19. Beast

Beast Guest

GPU:
    -
    Which rifle would you chose? Mini 14, AK47 or AR15?

The Mini 14 is $500, AK47 is $600 and the AR15 is $800..

I don't know the brand of the AK or AR, but I'm guessing they're not high-end..

20. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

Well if money is no issue than a well built AR-15 is much better.