AMD responds to FX line negativity!

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by maleficarus™, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    M8 is it not a fail to beat your old 45nm tech with newer 32nm tech?

Too me thats a fail, not saying the chip is a total fail but still.

2. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    So the best stock cpu for the new par is the old Phenom II X4 980, happy days i say, no upgrade for me :banana:. Even a 5.2ghz overclocked i7 2600k can only match the X4 980 at stock speeds :).

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  3. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    The size of the chip really has little to do with anything. I find it funny people get so focused on power draw when most have power supply units twice what is actually needed anyways. The way I look at it is-what does it really matter? You bought a PSU on average 300 watts over what you ever needed anyways, the excuse was for headroom, so then now you got a CPU that sucks a bit more. Big deal, now you might actually make use of that "headroom" you bought in the first place!

Heat ins't an issue, never has been. With all the custom coolers you guys have what does it matter if this CPU is a few degrees hotter? That 5 pound block of copper on your CPU is there for a reason people!!!

Make use of the stuff you bought! Stop commin up with excuses why you bought it, only to not use those reasons for hardware that comes out...duh!

Sick and tired of the childish nonsense on hardware forums. If you bought a 4 wheel drive SUV to off road. Then off road with it!! Don't just drive in the city all the time complaining about gas milage. This is what most here do. They buy something, then justify it, then do a 180 and use the very reason why they bought it as a bad thing. LOL

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    PSU's draw power on demand. Just because you own a 1000w power supply doesn't mean it always is eating 1000w.

The architecture behind the 2500k came out nearly a year ago and bulldozer fails to compete with it, with the exception of a couple rare cases, mostly related to GPU intensive applications.

No one here is complaining about something they bought. They are complaining that AMD launched a ****ty product. As a result they aren't going to buy it.

5. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

It's not just a matter of having a psu that provides the extra power but more importantly the extra cost of that power usage.

6. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Yes, you are a shinny example of what I was talking about. You have a 1200 watt PSU in your tower. You can almost start you car engine with that thing. So why would you buy such a huge PSU watt unit?

Let me help you: You bought it "just in case" the hardware you bought actually draws more power. So then, having pointed that out what does it matter if AMD FX line draws more power? Do you honestly have every penny figured out on your hydro bill? Of course you don't because if you did you never would have bought a 1200 watt PSU unit in the first place!

Common sense people....goes far when you actualy use common sense!!

7. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Yes.. common sense also dictates that you don't buy something that uses twice as much power for lower performance than a competing product, the extra headroom on the psu is there incase you 'need' it for highend multi-gpu or adding extra watercooling components etc. not to be wasted on poor efficiency products that can be overlooked.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080

Yeah it does matter, because instead of using x wattage I am now, I'm going to be using x+amd. Which is more. Which costs me more money for less performance. How does the maximum output factor into my costs exactly?

9. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    It's all about price/performance and performance/watt. Why get Bulldozer to waste my 1200W PSU when I can have a 5+ GHz Sandy Bridge, which is faster for not much more money, and more energy efficient.

I can also put the extra power headroom towards a second, or even a third 6970.

10. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    exactly

once you overclock BD to 4.8GHz power usage goes insane like 455 watts fully loaded

SB 2600k @ 4.8GHz like 260 watts that's 195 watt difference an less performance to boot :biggun:

gob smacked by it's power usage

11. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Exactly, and that 195W difference can be another 6950/6970 which gives you EVEN MORE gaming performance :)

12. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Perhaps you should practice what you preach? As usual, regardless of what anyone else says to you, you somehow try to deflect and ignore everything they say to try and make whatever you've said as the only correct response on the subject. You never have the guts to admit that you are wrong, ever! Remember your responses to the BOSE poll thread? But whatever, I'll not respond to anymore of your drivel.

13. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    And for that you need a CPU that will actually scale along when using only a couple of cores/threads dedicated to graphics.

14. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    well if you loaded both systems 24/7 for a full year both at 4.8GHz overclock

BD 4.8GHz 455W x 24 = 10,920 watts per day x 365 = 3985,800 watts that's 3985Kwh per year @ whatever cost is per unit in your area

SB 4.8GHz 260W x 24 = 6,240 watts per day x 365 = 2277,600 watts that's 2277Kwh per year @ whatever cost is per unit in your area

difference is 1708Kwh that's huge difference

An to top it all BD doesn't give you extra performance for all that extra power used

15. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Thats insane, only an idiot would get a Bulldozer. There is no point to it whatsoever unless you do super multithreaded compiling day and night.

Buy a 2600k , mobo and overclock it to the hilt & end of the year you still will have saved your self money.

16. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Except that we can let our GPU's do that nowadays and those are way better at it. So you'd still be an idiot to get that Bulldozer, I guess.

17. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Of course, we all know Bulldozer is a bad choice for anyone :)

So basically, Socket AM2+/AM3/AM3+ current owners should just get a Phenom II X6 1100T or wait for Piledriver (god forbid it be WORSE than Phenom II X6!)

And others should just get an i5 2500k/i7 2600k.

18. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    piledriver will use a different socket. so eiter way, youll have to upgrade you mobo.

19. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    Not to defend the guy but you do have a massive power supply which doesn't make sense (unless you had another processor and 2 massive video cards).

Switched mode power supplies do not like to be lightly loaded they loose efficiency.You want to be on 50% (or more) loading to enter the best area of operation.

Sizing the power supply to the load is an important aspect of buying PSU.

20. j.chen

j.chen Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Nano
    i can get that SSD or graphics card I've always wanted because my cpu is still pretty good.

how much are people overclocking their 2500k on air nowadays?